Top Gun "Goose" Costuming Guide.

No don't recall seeing that earlier. I'm sure they shot a ton of footage on that aircraft carrier. Maybe it was supposed to be a shot after they helped cougar get back. Who knows.

Can't believe you squids are evening discussing / debating an editing continuity glitch!

:cool:

This film - more than most others - was MADE in the editing suite...

On the patches topic.. I was rewatching recently due to having gotten some new patches for the flight suit that had one, specially, that was very different from what I expected..
what I’m talking about is that the black USN patch on Mavericks right front ab section had the eagle looking to the eagles left side, something unusual considering that the eagle in the USN nearly always looks to it’s right side (our left)
I researched as lightly as I could online, and it appears that the eagle, in general, should look towards the wearers centre line front, so the patch, the new one, seems feasible.. (or it could have been a film mistake on the set)
I’ve checked a couple of times on the Blu Ray and it does look like there’s a touch more yellow on the eagles left side.. meaning it may well be looking to it’s left..
My old flight suit patch has it looking right, the new one is facing left..
Just wondered what the take on this one was, and if any actually Navy members could comment on the eagle head direction? (It appears that recently the eagle nearly always looks right, but it wasn’t always that way)
Any ideas?
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg

On review of this post, it’s clear that some of us noticed and have the eagle facing left side patch, Maverick of course, has his accurate as hell..

Okay, so I guess that IS confirmed? Cool!

Any USN guys able to let us know if the reason is as I guessed above?

On review of this post, it’s clear that some of us noticed and have the eagle facing left side patch, Maverick of course, has his accurate as hell..

Okay, so I guess that IS confirmed? Cool!

Any USN guys able to let us know if the reason is as I guessed above?

So the original patch is known as an PX US Navy Logo patch, It's embroidered black felt with a cheesecloth backing ( thats what the white thread around the edge is) The eagle does face to the left ( or right depending on whether you are the one viewing or wearing it) In the case of Goose, he wears a similar patch but unlike Maverick's his is Blue felt instead of black.
6BF038F7-63C5-48BA-B6CF-AE737E713060.jpeg

Help please! Hello hoping to find a good picture of the triangle patch Goose wears on his flight suit. I have 2 boys who are going out tonight as Maverick & Goose & this am I was told we are missing the triangle Tactical Wings Atlantic patch! If anyone could please share a picture I can print out I'd be SO appreciative!
- Frantic Mama

OK, here's a question...

are there any pictures / references to Viper's patch configuration?

Can see a Tomcat, Topgun with red edging, Fighting 33rd upper right and name patch in yellow, and he's got that US Navy patch as above (right). I *think* there's a Tactical Wings Atlantic, or other triangular patch, on the wrist of his left sleeve, but not sure you can see lower right body or lower right sleeve. There are only a few points you see him in a flight suit. Anyone got anything??

Also, any idea what Viper's medal rack is? struggling with the first badge on the 4th row - looks like it might be an Antarctica Service Medal.

Also struggling to get the medals to order "properly" (well properly for Viper anyway!) I'm guessing I'd get individual ribbons and a mounting rack rather than them come pre-mounted and stuck down, so I can order as I want / need? Otherwise I'm guessing it's not possible to customise on the site as it'll be non-regulation?

fifthchamber you were the guru on this before and you've been down the medal ribbon route too I think - any advice?

Last edited:
OK, here's a question...

are there any pictures / references to Viper's patch configuration?

Can see a Tomcat, Topgun with red edging, Fighting 33rd upper right and name patch in yellow, and he's got that US Navy patch as above (right). I *think* there's a Tactical Wings Atlantic, or other triangular patch, on the wrist of his left sleeve, but not sure you can see lower right body or lower right sleeve. There are only a few points you see him in a flight suit. Anyone got anything??

Also, any idea what Viper's medal rack is? struggling with the first badge on the 4th row - looks like it might be an Antarctica Service Medal.

Also struggling to get the medals to order "properly" (well properly for Viper anyway!) I'm guessing I'd get individual ribbons and a mounting rack rather than them come pre-mounted and stuck down, so I can order as I want / need? Otherwise I'm guessing it's not possible to customise on the site as it'll be non-regulation?

fifthchamber you were the guru on this before and you've been down the medal ribbon route too I think - any advice?

I used Vanguard’s “ezrackbuilder” (www.ezrackbuilder.com) to make the set I needed.. and they can certainly do yours for Viper. They’ll come on a sized rack depending on the amount of medals needed, and you can slide them off the rack easily, to reorder them depending on your needs, however, the site builds the set according to the medal priority, so it sets the higher medals in the top in order naturally, this helps since it’s the official importance line... you don’t have to worry, but if they did mix any of vipers medal me order up? Then yeah, you can slide them off and reorder easily...

Yeh, in both of the medal systems I've used, I can't get them to order properly - in fact they both ordered differently!

I'm guessing they weren't necessarily going for complete authenticity - just what looked good perhaps? Unless precedence has changed over time? But interesting that both an Antarctica service medal ribbon and COAST GUARD Arctic service medal seem to be part of the rack (can't find anything else that it could be?) - seems unlikely for a fixed wing fast jet naval aviator?

Also, bringing this back to Goose perhaps, but why does Goose as an Lt JG have more medals that Maverick as a Lt?

But that's all an aside really. I really need to stop looking at this, and don't try to apply it to reality - it's a movie, they can do what they want!! If I can re-order the ribbons to suit, it doesn't really matter. :lol:

Attachments

• medals 2.png
    medals 2.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 104
  • dce80e9ba5df1812e1ac549798cdabff.jpg
    dce80e9ba5df1812e1ac549798cdabff.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 108
  • viperrack.jpg
    viperrack.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 106
7 1/2 years after the idea was born I finally finished the helmet :)
I did a quick costume test (excuse the missing gloves and boots) and couldn't remember if the ejection seat harness or the survival vest/life preserver should be on top...
Can you spot inaccuracies?
20200913_184748.jpg

7 1/2 years after the idea was born I finally finished the helmet :)
I did a quick costume test (excuse the missing gloves and boots) and couldn't remember if the ejection seat harness or the survival vest/life preserver should be on top...
Can you spot inaccuracies?
View attachment 1348151
This looks absolutely fantastic. Nicely done. Since you asked for the feedback I am happy to give my 2 cents. I wont pretend to have spent much time going through the scenes so if you are going for pure screen accuracy that is a little harder for me to judge, I can only speak from a USN authenticity standpoint

The American flag patch should have a gold border. (Officers wear gold, enlisted wear silver)
The sleeves are almost never ever worn at full length unless sitting in the jet strapped in (they are normally rolled 2-3x)
The ejection seat harness will be closest to you followed by the survival gear and then the life preserver.
I have not read this thread in its entirety so I'm not sure if its mentioned but the boots are made by Belville (Brown Steel Toed 330s) What size shoe are you?

But that's just being nit picky. Seriously nice job!

The American flag patch should have a gold border. (Officers wear gold, enlisted wear silver)
I have not read this thread in its entirety so I'm not sure if its mentioned but the boots are made by Belville (Brown Steel Toed 330s) What size shoe are you?
Some of them have gold borders - I think Goose's is white bordered in the movie :)
I'm a size 10.5/11 and I will start looking for those boots now - thanks!
(Everything else I will take to heart when I wear it again)

Some of them have gold borders - I think Goose's is white bordered in the movie :)
I'm a size 10.5/11 and I will start looking for those boots now - thanks!
(Everything else I will take to heart when I wear it again)

Ahh fair enough on the flag, I just saw one of the screen grabs from earlier on in the thread. I have an old pair but am a size 9. A local army navy store may have a beat up pair or two. Also to be fair I’m not positive if that was the official flight boot in the 80s when it was filmed, it is now though and it should be very similar if it’s not the exact same. Naval aviators are big on traditions and the brown boots have around for a long time

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back