Tom Baker Sonic Screwdriver SHOCKING EVIDENCE!

Jet Beetle

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
As near as I can tell this information is not widely known but a buddy of mine and I have known this for sometime and I finally thought I would share it here in hopes of getting help identifying other parts of the device but we have got the body for sure.

Here are a few pics of screengrabs and fan mades -

dw_G1extend.jpg

Sonic01.jpg

Classic_Sonic_Screwdriver_by_Police.jpg

and the found object is a Chiropractic Activator -
c38e_1.jpg

Activator-1.jpg

10050057l.jpg

activator150.gif

activator.gif

There are different models but you can now see why the grooves are where they are and the tilted end of the hilt makes sense - it's where the pressure bar was. The main body is all there - you just need to get the right year for the one they used (grabbed from the set of Thunderbirds). I know with this info out we can get some accurate measurements and perhaps even have a "true parts" version someday.

Hope this info helps all you WHOlagins

Last edited:
Re: Tom Baker Sonic Screwdriver - FOUND!

Mmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnneeehhhhhhhhhhhrrrr......

I'm gonna have to say no.

ktsonicdriverbp.jpg

Kind of vague resemblence, OK. But "found"? I don't think so.

Mmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnneeehhhhhhhhhhhrrrr......

I'm gonna have to say no.

ktsonicdriverbp.jpg

Kind of vague resemblence, OK. But "found"? I don't think so.

You don't have the right year and frankly I have no idea who did the drawing or how accurate it is but the tell tale signs of the missing mechanics from an activator are there.

ktsonicdriverbp-1.jpg

activator150-1-1.gif

You need to look for something like this one -

The arrow is pointing to the slant at the end of the screwdriver where you will also find a hole left over from the pressure bar being removed.

Last edited:

I did the drawing based on the best screencaps available from the show and from Thunderbirds.

i remember when someone found a grenade at a gunshow that was kind of similar to obi's handgrip, it wasnt the exact model....but was close enough. so people started searching and low and behold what did we find?

well we found it, quite quickly actually with everyone on the lookout for that particular item.....

so to flat out dismiss this line of thought due to your interpretation of what it looks like compared to the picture of one particular model....that just seems....i dont know...

i remember when someone found a grenade at a gunshow that was kind of similar to obi's handgrip, it wasnt the exact model....but was close enough. so people started searching and low and behold what did we find?

well we found it, quite quickly actually with everyone on the lookout for that particular item.....

so to flat out dismiss this line of thought due to your interpretation of what it looks like compared to the picture of one particular model....that just seems....i dont know...

Hear, hear!

If nothing else, there's a bit of resemblance to McCoy's classic hypo too!

-Sarge

I did the drawing based on the best screencaps available from the show and from Thunderbirds.

Phase, I'm sure if you really take a look at the different model of Chiropractic Activators out there you will see we have indeed found what the body was used for. My friend is a Who freak with hunks of screencaps and materials and when I first come to him with the idea that the screw driver was a found item he was dismissive right off the bat. I think it has to do with the items from these shows become holy grails and forever unattainable. I like Who, but my eyes are clean. I also knew the show was made on 10cents and there was no way with all the holes and slants in this thing that it was something they had come up with - sort of like the graflex... too many functional blemishes of realism to be made up. It seemed simply complex. I did a search for dental tools fist then to Chiropractic ones. I know this is what that thing is - and my buddy is convinced as well. I only posted it because I am hoping we could all lock down the make and model, then tackle the bullet wheel -.

JB- Could you add "McCoy Hypo" to the title too please?

We need to get as many eyes on this as possible! :)

-Sarge

You're reachin' on the hypo, man.

Anyway...I don't see the screwdriver either.

Sorry.

JB- Could you add "McCoy Hypo" to the title too please?

We need to get as many eyes on this as possible! :)

-Sarge

As I recall this theory has cropped up before... similar but no one was ever able to find anything more than a passing similarity.

That's right. I even remember mentioning that some of the old yankee drills always looked more like sonic screwdrivers to me. Look at a couple of these.

Yankeedrillmain.jpg

As I recall this theory has cropped up before... similar but no one was ever able to find anything more than a passing similarity.

Last edited:

That's right. I even remember mentioning that old yankee drills always looked more like sonic screwdrivers to me. Look at a couple of these.

Yankeedrillmain.jpg

Actually those look not even close.

I'm searching for bettter pics of the Chiropractic Activator - needding images of the bottom part.

I'm searching for bettter pics of the Chiropractic Activator - needding images of the bottom part.

Also, remember we're looking for one that's 35 - 40 years old too.

-Sarge

:lol:lol

Yo man. I have no problem at all with you being married to your idea.

Just don't get bent when you hang a "FOUND IT" thread and people disagree with you.

I think a couple of those yankee drills look far more similar to the driver, but then again, I never liked the prop anyway.

Good luck just the same!

Keep in mind, Yankee drills are retractable (spring loaded)
Interesting tip on this one:

yankee%20hex%20composite.jpg

Last edited:

:lol:lol

Yo man. I have no problem at all with you being married to your idea.

Just don't get bent when you hang a "FOUND IT" thread and people disagree with you.

I think a couple of those yankee drills look far more similar to the driver, but then again, I never liked the prop anyway.

Good luck just the same!

Keep in mind, Yankee drills are retractable (spring loaded)
Interesting tip on this one:

yankee%20hex%20composite.jpg

I didn't mean it as a jab - I just don't see the drills being what was used - Chiropractic Activators are also retractable. I'm so convinced that I would bet money they used the activators. For some reason these things are hard to get pics of. I've got the word out to a few sights trying to get pics.

Rylo you owe me a yankee drill if I'm right.

Yeah, this isn't new news. It's close or similar in design, but definately not the device used.

Re: Tom Baker Sonic Screwdriver & McCoy Hypo - FOUND!

Ideas that have been promoted in the past for both the screwdriver and McCoy's hypo, include

chiropractic tool
veterinary hypo
shock absorber or other part from jet plane

And so far I don't think anybody has proved a case. To be sure, it is NOT KNOWN (at least generally) if these two props are "found objects" at all, or if so what they are.

Now on the other hand, your chiropractic tool there does have some design elements in common with the screwdriver. The tapered head, the various inset cuts and so on. I'd almost imagine that one of these, but in a different design, and placed inside some kind of spring-loaded grip, might be closer to the mark.

Still... I have yet to see anything convincing. To warrant a thread title like "FOUND!" I think you'd want to be showing THE specific item that the prop has got to be, and show how it can't possibly be anything else.

Remember when folks were certain that the Obi saber included some sort of motorcycle grip? :lol

- k

Last edited:
Re: Tom Baker Sonic Screwdriver - SHOCKING EVIDENCE

You're right. I'll change the "found" statement until I can provide pictures - I've had two emails from Chiropractic website readers who claim to own a tool from the late sixties that matches the screwdriver body and they have agreed to take multi angle shots for us.

Ideas that have been promoted in the past for both the screwdriver and McCoy's hypo, include

chiropractic tool
veterinary hypo
shock absorber or other part from jet plane

And so far I don't think anybody has proved a case. To be sure, it is NOT KNOWN (at least generally) if these two props are "found objects" at all, or if so what they are.

Now on the other hand, your chiropractic tool there does have some design elements in common with the screwdriver. The tapered head, the various inset cuts and so on. I'd almost imagine that one of these, but in a different design, and placed inside some kind of spring-loaded grip, might be closer to the mark.

Still... I have yet to see anything convincing. To warrant a thread title like "FOUND!" I think you'd want to be showing THE specific item that the prop has got to be, and show how it can't possibly be anything else.

Remember when folks were certain that the Obi saber included some sort of motorcycle grip? :lol

- k

Well there you go. If you can ID a particular ONE, and it matches line for line, that's a different story.

Just be sure you get one of these gadgets for yourself BEFORE you make any announcements... because they will be impossible to find afterwards. :lol

-k

Turning aluminum became a big hobby and even larger craft after WWII. Into the late 50's and early 60's just about every small shop had metal lathes. Aluminum was cheap and soft enough to easily work and quickly knock out pieces. TOS Trek has many examples of scratch built, turned aluminum pieces (medical scalpels, engineering tools).

I think it's just as plausible that the hypo/SS were inspired by a real world item. Of course I would never claim with 100% certainty that it isn't a found item either. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back