TNG Tricorder Evolution Thread

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this already, but for those who haven't...

Proposed "Tricorder Upgrade" for Voyager (designed by the massively talented Rick Sternbach). I could be wrong, but it looks like this concept was the basis for the Endgame Tric:

voytri2.jpg

I guess most people feel like the tric designs were improved from the MK VI through the X, but my favorite look is still the first TNG version (VI). Not sure what it is that intrigues me about it, but the ones that followed seem to get more 'busy' as they went on.

I really like the screen and graphic all incorporated into the graphics panel and the fact that little is visible when the whole thing is closed up. With the perspective of the last couple decades of perspective, the design is very reflective of 80s futurist design- the kind of thing you'd see at EPCOT.

M

I am almost 100% with you, but I just never bought the need for the Mark VI's hand scanner. That is why the Mark VII is my favorite.

I'm not 100% sure, but this looks like the sideburns trimmer attachment.

Hi Guys,
No completely custom. It was milled from a block of acrylic the round part on the back end was a spool to wind up the fishing line that was attached to the two nurostimulators which store a way on each side of the piece. There was only one of these made for that eps. We latter made 2 or 3 more copys.

Mike

Hi,

iam sorry if iam in wrong place.. i wanna build "Mark XSL TR-990" Tricorder - alias Mark OSX Endgame Tricorder. I have the electronics, ask you can see here YouTube - Endgame Tricorder electronics

The problem is, the sound isnt accurate. In the Endgame episode was the sound different. I cant find it anywhe, I cant even take it from the epizode, because behing music is pretty loud :cry

I be gratefull for any tipe/hint or sound that will be able to use. Second question - have you any experience (or photos) how to make the on/off "switch" for opening and closing the tricorder (i was thinking about a magnetic reed contact) and where is the best place to put it???

Thanks

Lovely thread. Thanks everyone.

I really like those behind-the-scenes infos with great pictures from the old times. Must have been a fascinating time as well a stressful.

Does anyone know the book "Star Trek Design" by Judith Reeves-Stevens? I can really recommend it for all Trekkies. It also has a few pages that show the Mark VI and VII props that were used in TNG.

Does anyone have closer information or pictures of the tricorder that Brent Spiner used in Insurrection for the underwater-scene?

The underwater tricorder was just a normal tricorder. But, they coates the top section with silicone so no water could get to the electronics. They didn't need to coat the bottom door because the specific tricorder didn't have electronics in the bottom door to make it easier to coat the body with silicone. :confused

"Star Trek Design" is known in the States as "The Art of Star Trek". :)

K

Oh. Okay. So you know both the German and the Englisch version? I am curious.

@greatwazoo42: Did not know that, but I remember that some picture despriptions did not make much sense to me. Anyway it was the closet look I ever got into Star Trek designs before the internet became popular.

Thanks for the information about the Insurrection tricorder and at the same time excuse myself. I just saw the other day that this questions has already been answered in this thread. Nevertheless thanks for the reply. :angel

Here are the different MKX graphics minus the ENT-E schematic variant:

web.jpg

@Tripper: How did you come up with these graphics? Did you make them by your own or what? I remember making my own graphics with Paintbrush. It was a very punctual work and I never got to a point where I was satisfied with the result. I could not match the exact colours and typography.

Last edited:
Well, after reading this whole thread (again!) you guys have got me motivated.

So, I just won a playmates tricorder on ebay, and I'm going to gut it, add electronics to it... the whole 9 yards.

Thanks for getting me ramped up for this.:thumbsup

That was the first Tricorder build I ever took on. It's pretty labor intensive. I completed a total of 4 of them before I decided to move on. Best of luck!

8-2.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back