TNG Tricorder Evolution Thread

stapleton13

OK. It has been suggested that we start a thread on the evolution of the Tricorder in The Next Gen era. I think this should include DS9, Voyager, and Movies. I know there are several other Tricorder geeks here that can help this geek build a good Tricorder thread for the training of new geeks. :)

I have several pictures I can share, but I don't have pictures of them all. I hope we can find other members here that can share their images.

First We have The Mark VI TR-560 from the first season of TNG. It was capable of being both the medical and science version with a removable medical attachment. It can be identified by the door catch that the later VI does not have.
markviobamasucks.jpg

0markv1firstseason01.jpg

The Next one is also called the Mark VI TR-560. This one also has a small hand scanner in the back, but does not have the door catch, and the inside looks more like the popular VII.
0markvisecondseason00.jpg

0markvisecondseason01.jpg

Next We have the Mark VII TR-580 science Tricorder. This is one of my personal favorites. This Tricorder dropped the scanner pocket for a larger scanner array.
0markvii00.jpg

The next on the list is the Mark x TR-590 Science Tricorder. It was smaller, and had more lights.
0marxxtricorder00.jpg

Its Medical counterpart was also Mark X TR-590, but it had a different display screen, and a pocket in the rear panel to hold a small scanner.
0markxmedical.jpg

I also have photo's of a few Tricorders that were used in single episodes.

The first was a Voyager episode called endgame. It was called a Mark XSL TR-990.

Science
0endgamesciencemarkxls0.jpg

Medical with scanner arm.
0endgamemedicalmarkxls0.jpg

Another Voyager episode called relativity used a Tricorder called a TR-880 Mark XV. It was made by the prop guys using a Found travel alarm clock.
0relativitytricorder00.jpg

Last on my geek list was a Tricorder used in DS9, but I'm not sure how many times it was used. I have heard that it had a cable that ran to the tricorder to operate a working screen. I am also not sure what model # it was.
0daxtricorder.jpg

Ok now its your turn. Add what you can.

Last edited:
You are officially my hero Myron. Awesome! I have been wishing to see this info consolidated in one place, with good pics for a long time. This is def. a great start.

One thing to possibly mention is that their were two versions of the Mark IX 590, those that had a yellow scanning bar on the front emitter (Voyager) and those that had a red scanning bar (DS9 and the TNG movies).

Sweet! Well researched. :thumbsup

I have this one in my files (photo not taken by me)... supposedly a "prototype" tricorder. It seems to have been built from the body of a tricorder used in Trek III or V (note pop-up head).

st38.jpg

This was in my files as a prototype TNG tricorder designed by Richard Coyle.

prototypetricorder.jpg

Concept tricorder designed by Sternbach for Voyager

conceptvoytri2.jpg

voy2ndseasontricupgrade.jpg

I am confused by the Mk VII Science which seems to have two versions...one with a hand scanner and one without. Here's Wesley in Season 4 with what appears to be a Mk VII which has the scanner

westric.jpg

7th season Mk VII Science with no separate scanner.

eotb7thseasdatatric.jpg

In the TNG movies, Mk VII was used first...

stgenmrtricorder.jpg

... and then replaced with Mk X (or IX, not sure about the diffrences with those two either!). "Nemesis" tho does feature a new tricorder design not seen anywhere else.

nemtriccu1.jpg

Despite the new tricorder Geordi still uses the Mk X in Nemesis (probably so he can dramatically flip it closed)

nemgeordimarkx.jpg

Another tricorder anomaly: in Voyager "Eye of the Needle", we see what appear to be dummy Mk VII props painted a maroon color and attached to wall panels in sickbay.

eyeoftheneedle113.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I noticed that up until season 7 in Voyager the Doctor's medical tricorder (along with hand scanner and a slot in the back of the tricorder to store it) actually used the regular Mark IX tricorder graphics. I was previously aware the tricorder utilized the standard Voyager light scheme (the Yellow scanning bar on the front emitter), but I didn't notice the graphics. This is largely because we almost always see the top of the tricorder. Its not until the season 5 episode, Latent Image, that we catch a glimpse of the business end of the Voyager medical tric (or perhaps the lack therof!):

latentimage_392.jpg

Season 7 is when we see the familiar Mark X medical that we come to know on DS9:

lineage030.jpg

In the 4th season of TNG, this bizarre prop shows up attached to a medical bed in sickbay... it looks like a Mk VI with medical head, but the fit is poor and it seems to be painted two different colors. :lol

4seasidcrisismedbedtric.jpg

4seasidcrisismedbedtric.jpg

This odd prop was sold at auction as a "prototype" TNG tricorder.

prototypetric.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I noticed that up until season 7 in Voyager the Doctor's medical tricorder (along with hand scanner and a slot in the back of the tricorder to store it) actually used the regular Mark IX tricorder graphics. I was previously aware the tricorder utilized the standard Voyager light scheme (the Yellow scanning bar on the front emitter), but I didn't notice the graphics. This is largely because we almost always see the top of the tricorder. Its not until the season 5 episode, Latent Image, that we catch a glimpse of the business end of the Voyager medical tric (or perhaps the lack therof!):

latentimage_392.jpg

They also used one like this in a great closeup in Insurrection.

Sweet! Well researched. :thumbsup

Despite the new tricorder Geordi still uses the Mk X in Nemesis (probably so he can dramatically flip it closed)

nemgeordimarkx.jpg

This tricorder was a variant. It had a different lighting scheme, and different graphics. The main difference was the display screen. I think there are some pics of the graphics on roddenberry.com.

The Mark X's in general saw a lot of variation. There were yellow, red, and blue LED's along the top scanning bar, depending on the show and the season. I beleive they had the same variants for medical and science.

DId anyone post he Mark IX? as far as I can tell, it's just a mark X with a different graphic on the bottom.

I believe that the Mark IX was the Science version with the Red scanning bar, yellow scanning bar was Mark X and full blown Medical was Mark XI. The Nemesis Variant was also a Mark XI - go figure.

DId anyone post he Mark IX? as far as I can tell, it's just a mark X with a different graphic on the bottom.

Hmm. I always thought the red AND yellow scanning bars were Mark IX's, the Medical was Mark X, and that Nemesis variant with I believe a white scanning bar was a Mark XI.

From all the screenused trics I've seen, it would seem that anytime the bar graph graphic is seen, it's a Mark IX. There was a version with a scanner in the back.

The full blown medical is a MKX or MKXI.

The nemesis version has a different screen and only 4 white LEDs on the center scanning array on top. There are a few differences on the front as well. It was a MKXI.

There is another nemesis MKXI variant which had a schematic of the ENT-E on the screen. This model was only a static.

Phase Pistol, I don't see the confusion over the MKVII with the scanner. That is actually the Season 2-4 style MKVI. Exactly like the MKVII save for the scanner slot. The MKVII was actually introduced somewhere in the later seasons.

There are 2 different styles of removable medical scanner heads. One for the Season one resin MKVI and one for the Season 2 and on vacuformed MKVI. Myron's season one style MKVI tric posted above features the later style scanner head. Minor differences between the two.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back