TNG Tricorder Evolution Thread

With all the pictures of the prototypes and concepts of Tricorders, I'm surprised someone hasn't made a replica of the prototypes or construct one following one of the concepts (or at least haven't decided to do them).

Did someone say "Tricorders"? :)

Here are mine, I put them in as much order as I could. At least I THINK they are in order

Enterprise Scanner
STENTScanner.jpg

Enterprise Vulcan Scanner
STENTTPolScanner3.jpg

Star Trek XI Tricorder
STXITricorder2.jpg

ST TOS Tricorder
STTOSMRTricorder.jpg

ST TMP Tricorder
STTMPHMSTricorder4.jpg

STII Tricorder
STIITricorder1.jpg

STIII Tricorder
STIIICoyleTricorder2.jpg

STIII Klingon Tricorder
STIIICoyleKlingonTricorder2.jpg

STV Tricorder
stvworkingtricorder2.jpg

ST TNG Mark VI Tricorder Medical Version
STTNGStapletonVITricorder9.jpg

ST TNG Mark VI Tricorder Science Version
STTNGStapletonVITricorder6.jpg

ST TNG Mark VI Tricorder Science Version
STTNGMarkVITricorder3.jpg

ST TNG Mark VII Tricorder
STTNGMarkVIITricorder8.jpg

ST Mark X Science Tricorder
STTNGMarkXScienceTricorder2.jpg

ST Mark X Medical Tricorder
STTNGRDMarkXTricorder2.jpg

ST Voyager Endgame Tricorder
STVoyagerRDEndgameTricorder2.jpg

ST DS9 Relativity Tricorder
STDS9RelativityTricorder4.jpg

ST Nemesis Tricorder
STNemesisTricorder2.jpg

Dont forget about the Insurrection wrist tricorder, both in red and starfleet grey. Sorry, I dont have any pictures. I think there is a picture of the red one on the HMS site.

If I may be so bold... Id like to nix the Enterprise pop up tricorder from this thread! Doesnt count :p.

I believe the first season mark VI medical had a very plain medical scanner attachment. Just the light in the upper left corner if I am not mistaken? Myron's seems way to detailed. More like a Mark VII medical head on a Mark VI body.

Last edited:
Guys I am still confused about the designation of the Tricorders X and XI - all I saw and remember, was that the Science TR-590 was X. And now, the eFX sell them as XI. What's the difference?

Yeah it all seems inconsistent and contradictory. Even the VI and VII don't make sense to me anymore. :lol

There are probably a lot of mistakes and "whim variations" over the years... Impossible to classify them into neat categories.

k

I believe the first season mark VI medical had a very plain medical scanner attachment. Just the light in the upper left corner if I am not mistaken? Myron's seems way to detailed. More like a Mark VII medical head on a Mark VI body.

You are right. I pointed out that Myron's scanner head is actually the version used on the later season MKVI tricorders.

Yen, the bar graph MKIX that eFX is making has ALWAYS been a MKIX. The Medical trics are the MKX.

It's not confusing at all. The graphics remain consistent. The MKIX trics vary on what color scanning bar to use. Yellow or red. Blue for the MKX.

The VII is not confusing either. Either you have a science or the longer medical version.

The VII science that has a scanner is actually a MKVI.

Awesome thread. I've got a soft spot for the original TNG "old smoothies", but the Mark VII is king. I built a MILLION of those out of cardboard as a kid. I do find Voyager's tricorders completely "blah" - it's like Starfleet's art department took the year off when that ship was designed.

Although the "king of the useless tricorders" goes to new ST. How could that tell you ANYTHING? At least TOS had a TV screen!

Guys I am still confused about the designation of the Tricorders X and XI - all I saw and remember, was that the Science TR-590 was X. And now, the eFX sell them as XI. What's the difference?

I think prop guys just mixed and matched the mark x/xi/ix tricorders over the years.

I dunno, from what I have seen, I agree with Trip. To reiterate:

1. Mark VI Science/Medical(Version 1, fatter screen window, shape differs, has medical attachment (with medical scanner), a mini hand scanner, and has light grey decals).

2. Mark VI Science/Medical (Version 2, a tad sleaker, graphics same as Mark VII except for the designation, has a medical attachment (with medical scanner), and a mini hand scanner)

3. Mark VII Science (same basic shape as the Mark VI version 2, but has no hand scanner, nor the slot to put it in)

4. Mark VII Medical (Same as Mark VII but has an extended top that houses a medical scanner and has medical graphics)

5. Mark IX (Has the familiar graph graphics, red or yellow scanning bar, seen in Voyager/DS9/First contact and later TNG movies) This is the eFx tricorder.

6. Mark X (Medical tricorder, medical graphic, blue scanning bar)

7. Mark XI (Nemesis tricorder, white LEDS, slightly different graph graphic).

I dunno, from what I have seen, I agree with Trip. To reiterate:

1. Mark VI Science/Medical(Version 1, fatter screen window, shape differs, has medical attachment (with medical scanner), a mini hand scanner, and has light grey decals).

2. Mark VI Science/Medical (Version 2, a tad sleaker, graphics same as Mark VII except for the designation, has a medical attachment (with medical scanner), and a mini hand scanner)

3. Mark VII Science (same basic shape as the Mark VI version 2, but has no hand scanner, nor the slot to put it in)

4. Mark VII Medical (Same as Mark VII but has an extended top that houses a medical scanner and has medical graphics)

5. Mark IX (Has the familiar graph graphics, red or yellow scanning bar, seen in Voyager/DS9/First contact and later TNG movies) This is the eFx tricorder.

6. Mark X (Medical tricorder, medical graphic, blue scanning bar)

7. Mark XI (Nemesis tricorder, white LEDS, slightly different graph graphic).

Thats true that there were those, but lets not forget the classic science graphic on the medical tricorder. Thats what I mean by mix and match.

Dont forget about the Insurrection wrist tricorder, both in red and starfleet grey. Sorry, I dont have any pictures. I think there is a picture of the red one on the HMS site.

If I may be so bold... Id like to nix the Enterprise pop up tricorder from this thread! Doesnt count :p.

I always wanted to build one of those wrist tricorders.

The First season MKVIs were resin bodied. They had a little blue switch on the lower left hand corner of the main graphic which turned off the lights when the unit was closed. They also featured an automated door mechanism which had a ratcheting sound that was emulated in post for the later versions.

Starting with the MKVI in season two of TNG they switched to Ed Miarecki's clear vacuformed plastic models. They lost the manual switch in favor of reed switch activated lights.

Last on my geek list was a Tricorder used in DS9, but I'm not sure how many times it was used. I have heard that it had a cable that ran to the tricorder to operate a working screen. I am also not sure what model # it was.
0daxtricorder.jpg

Ok now its your turn. Add what you can.

From DS9 'Blood Oath'.

As I recall, this was a VI or VII body with Playmates tric stickers applied (note the difference in size between the stickers and the recesses).

I've always loved this one- seems like a tric specifically for more military uses- hence the 'motion tracker' application. The prop had a real-time animated graphic screen built in. In early 90s tech this would certainly mean there had to be some sort of power/data connection snaking down the actor's arm. We did similar tricks with small flat screen monitors built into props for seaQuest DSV around the same time. Notice also in this pics that there are no blinkie details on the end of the tric- another hint that there wasn't room for anything else inside the shell besides the tiny monitor. In all shots other than the above close-up, a standard VII prop was used, front blinkies and all.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for what was essentially a single 4-second close up. I'm betting this was someone's pet project at the time- a way to see if they could have trics with real-time graphics instead of just dancing LEDs or burning in something in post production.

I'd still love to make one of these- there are more options nowadays for putting a larger animated screen inside without external leads.

Mark

Last edited:
^Thanks for the assessment Mark, that was interesting! I remember seeing this tric and recognizing the Playmates graphics after the fact. Looking at my iphone, it def. makes me marvel at how fast technology is moving.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back