TMNT Shredder helmet (not super SA but I made it my way)

MrPinski

Sr Member
Ever since I was a tike, I wanted one of these... Now I know how to make one... So I did!

Now I built this thing with no plans or blue prints, I just kindda eyeballed it... Hope you like it.

I started with a sculpting head armature made from expanding foam and made the face mask by adding black ABS, Klean Klay and fiber glass. I went on and covered that in bondo and began sanding it.

Untitled by MrPinski1, on Flickr

For the vents, I made some bucks out of scrap pine and I vac formed some more ABS over them and added them to the mask.

by MrPinski1, on Flickr

I wasn't happy with the vent shape, so I changed that too...

Last edited:
The next thing to do was tackle the helmet itself. I have a duct tape foam head of me that I covered in tinfoil and then covered in fiberglass and bondo so that I knew the helmet would fit me properly. I then added a sheet of ABS around it and covered the inside of it with RONDO and fiberglass and removed the ABS then blended the seams on the outside.

I then moved on and added detain to the top of the helmet as I know that the sequel helmet was supposed to be the ordinal that was "rebuilt" and covered in brass shingles from the junkyard. I laid out the stripes in string and created a web pattern with the glue gun and the spilled 2 layers of PU resin over it. All the shingles are strips of styrene added with superglue and the strips across the helmet are... MORE ABS!!!!

oh and now the buzz saw crown!!!! the base was made from... ABS!!!!! Then the frame was covered in bondo, sanded to shape and I added styrene teeth to make it look proper.

by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr

The weld bead was done with some magic sculpt and a few sculpting loops.

by MrPinski1, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

I made molds of all 3 pieces and gave it a slight trimming...

by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

I cut the vents with a coping saw and cleaned it up by hand then added chicken wire mesh to the inside.

by MrPinski1, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrpinski/14970842256/in/photostream/

- - - Updated - - -

the rest was really rinse and repeat for a while, I am still not done with painting this deal but... I like where it's going right now. I will post final pictures when the paint job is proper.

Thanks for watching. :)

by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr
by MrPinski1, on Flickr

Love seeng build threads like this and isn't it great that we can build our own toys? Congrats on a great job!

Looks amazing!! I always love your work! Will any casts be bitting the jy?

I haven't been on here in a while, trying to figure out how to make a FS thread in the JY now... As soon as I do, I will post up a thread. I do have them on my Etsy for now though.

...and thank you sir!

- - - Updated - - -

Now you need to find a glittery purple fabric.

yeah... I really didn't want to start the fit until I made the rest of the armor, but I know I will put it off if I don't make the fabric a priority.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back