TK409 GONK Droid tutorial *New pics & video*

Rather than trying to undo your great work and add smoked acrylic, why not mount a video camera on the inside and have the lens lined up to one of the exterior nozzles or greeblies? As long as the camera has a built in LCD, the kid on the inside would be in great shape. And it would be cool as all hell to boot. :cool

Found a pic of mine. Terrible paint job, but otherwise not too bad. You can see the vacuformed feet. I've lent out the buck, but it was easy enough to make out of stacked wood.

On the side you can see some outlet covers. Those are working! I wired him to be a "real" power droid. An extension cord connect underneath and then you can plug into his side. The world's largest power strip.

gonk.jpg

WOW, great work as usual, chris!

i love your work on those star wars costumes, keep them coming!
glad to hear you already have the next generation coming up...

:rolleyes:thumbsup

Thanks Rocko. I added a new detail photo of the feet. I'm going to make a new set that are bigger though. I built these using foamcore, then coated with a very easy-to-use papier mache-like material available at the craft store called Rigid Wrap.

21.jpg

11.jpg

Brilliant Chris! I love it!

We always wanted to build a working one for my daughter too but I'm afraid she may have grown too big for it at this point. I still have the bins ready to go for it.

Great tutorial as always!

You changed the audio on the video because in reality there was a lot of shouting about how dark it is in here, and the classic, "I can't see where I'm going!" and the immortal, "LET ME OUT!!".

You have made a superb costume there - Your daughter must've been so happy!!

I agree with the video camera idea - how cool would that be?!?! Especially if it could record too... imagine playing back the video of the amazed faces for your daughter to watch!

Draven

That's great! :lol
thanks for sharing Chris.
I've wanted to make a gonk for years. In fact I finally bought a couple really heavy duty totes at ACE a couple weeks ago as I thought they'd work perfect and the best ones I've seen... so I couldn't pass them up. They were $20 each though ... but hey... now I have an excuse to make one.... now... to find a small person to wear it :confused

I'd be willing to team up with you and make some foot shells if ya like... shoot me a message if you're interested.

Great job Chris, The paint/weathering looks fantastic.
Thanks for taking the time to put a tutorial together. I wanted to make one for my Son but he is too tall now.
Too many projects and never enough time.
Kevin w.

Fantastic work Chris! My 6 y.o. daughter just watched the video, and guess what she wants to be for Halloween??? How can I say no? :D

Marc

Rubbermaid has released a new 35 Gallon Latching Tote and I just saw these at both Target (in gray for $10) and Home Depot (in blue for $11). The cool thing is they are smooth without any of the common swoopy handles or notched sides and have a more stumpy shape for such a large tub. I couldn't resist stacking them and they are a great size and shape - a bit bigger than my GONK, which is what I think is needed.

http://www.shoplocal.com/lid-2092241642prid-99839_-rubbermaid-all.fp

0006_T122507_ap1_img_811156387.jpg

gonk-on-deathstar.jpg

Last edited:
So, does anyone know the correct size of the tubs used on the original Gonk droids? I thought 18g, based on what I've read on this thread (and other sites), and am now reading that a larger size might be better.

I went to Wally-World the other day, and stacked two 18g totes; they looked a bit small to me, but again, I'm definitely no Gonk expert. :(

Thanks,

ATM
ShackMan

... two 18g totes; they looked a bit small to me, ...

ATM
ShackMan

After I chose my 18g tubs I rechecked the screencaps and did those measurements. It looks like the 18g may be too small so I'm going to the 35g tubs which are a lot closer to the Mos Eisley reference pic.

I helped a new friend and garrison member with his daughter's gonk here recently. He followed your advice Chris and we made "her" some feets ;) hehe:

009.jpg

Now I gotta get Jim to make a gonk voice changer for her :) hahaha...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back