TK409 C-3po First Test-Fitting *PICS*

Trooper TK409

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Last night I did the very first test-fitting of my 3po parts. For reference, I'm 5'11" 150lbs. There are a couple things I obviously need to adjust like the way the handplates are worn. More photos of individual parts coming soon.

I made the neck piece from one of those large plastic "For Sale" signs by cutting a strip and painting it with the Plasti-Kote paint. I hotglued some foam on the inside for comfort. In back, I used velcro on the inside to close it - the parts meeting together at the back with a velcro piece against my neck facing towards the inside of the neck piece, connecting the two.

The backplate needs another coat of plasti-kote for better reflectivity near the top and on the battery pack. I need to give the helmet another coat as well.

One suggestion is to make some kind strap, anchored to the backplate for suspending the arms so they don't put weight on the handplates, making them free to rotate. Comments, suggestions and critiques appreciated.

testfit1.jpg

testfit2.jpg

arms.jpg

wow.
looks like you're on your way towards nailing one of the most difficult costumes there is.
how is the movement of the neck shoulders and elbows?

That is a really nice looking 3po

by the way im assuming your waste is like a 30 right? have you gone near any of the lower body parts yet?

OMG thats awesome. I am also 5'11" but I am closer to 190lbs. Theres no way I'd ever fit into a 3PO unless I got down to the weight I was at when I graduated high school. To look that good in a suit, I'd consider it. You look outstanding. I dont know why I love that costume so much. Maybe it is because its a costume you just dont see every day. GREAT job. I wish I could afford one.

Originally posted by CommanderCody@Jan 16 2006, 05:17 PM
Amazing Chris, how does it 'feel' to wear?

Yeah, on a scale of one to iron maiden, just how uncomfortable is it? (Bearing in mind that it is better to look good than to feel good, and might I just say, you look marvelous.)

Cheers.
TJ

That looks so cool it ain't true. Great work, Chris. :thumbsup

That first pic looks very
"Stormtroopers? Here? Oh my, I must warn the others."
... a second or so before
"Oh no. I've been shot.." :lol

Awesome. Please keep us posted.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Trallis@Jan 16 2006, 03:57 AM
...how is the movement of the neck shoulders and elbows? 

...im assuming your waste is like a 30 right? have you gone near any of the lower body parts yet?
[snapback]1160276[/snapback]​

Neck and shoulders are fine. There is a certain restricted range of motion, but that actually helps in looking and moving like Threepio. The elbow joints and pistons are smooth as silk. I made the back bicep piston mount stationary (just glued the slider in place since the pistons actually do the work) No pinching if that's what you're wondering. Don't expect to drink out of a cup on your own here :) My waist is 32" and the pelvis should fit fine. I have one, I just need to put it on. The belly wire mat section I made was too thick to fit under the torso. I need to go with thinner wires and thinner mat... or black corduroy.

Originally posted by jeezycreezy+Jan 16 2006, 12:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeezycreezy @ Jan 16 2006, 12:25 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-CommanderCody
@Jan 16 2006, 05:17 PM
Amazing Chris, how does it 'feel' to wear?

Yeah, on a scale of one to iron maiden, just how uncomfortable is it? (Bearing in mind that it is better to look good than to feel good, and might I just say, you look marvelous.)

Cheers.
TJ
[snapback]1160446[/snapback]​
[/b]

If 1 is a bathrobe, 5 is trooper armor and 10 is a torture device, yes, the torso is about a 7 on me. I've got a 40" chest and I can't take a nice deep breath - but it just looks too cool. Also, you're muscles under your arms get a bit sore from holding them up in the air Threepio style.

Regarding the eyes, I have new lenses coming and that will help my own vision. The irises need to be longer than the lenses are deep if that makes sense. This way, they keep out the light from your line of vision and makes the irises appear sharp and dark to the audience without light spilling over and flooding out the iris. It gives you a clearer tunnel to see through.

Oh, and this is a pencil-sized tunnel. You can't see out the mouth and there's no other holes. Definitely not for the claustrophobic.

i really cant wait to see this thing done.
C-3po has always been my longterm costume goal. Once you've done 3p0 youve done it all. This just inspires me further. Theres a reason i avoid the 3p0 builders forums. I have no money these days

Goodness-gracious-me. That looks great Chris. :thumbsup If it were mine it would probably live on a mannequin, you'd have to be a brave man to wear it for an extended period I think

My girlfriend and I were watching ROTJ last night and when 3PO rises out of the brush when the Ewoks first find him, he says "Oh my goodness."... my girlfriend laughs at me and says, "He makes me think of YOU." Apparently, I've been unknowingly saying "oh my goodness"... which is highly unusual for filthy Sandtrooper who's every other word is F and S. :confused

Anyway, great outfit Chris. I'm 6' tall and 155lbs., so I could probably pull off 3PO if so inclined.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back