TIE Killer based on DaveG open source

Re: Open source Y-Wing (DaveG)

Wow, that's shaping up nicely. I have a question about the forward fuselage. Earlier you said you printed from Dave's file. Has he revised his since you printed yours? I ask because the side walls seem thicker then his digital files that he's shown on his thread.

Wow, that's shaping up nicely. I have a question about the forward fuselage. Earlier you said you printed from Dave's file. Has he revised his since you printed yours? I ask because the side walls seem thicker then his digital files that he's shown on his thread.

Thank you. No, I just did some modifying with styrene so I could see what can be done without a 3D printer, its not permanent, so far its not right but its coming. I'm hoping someone steps up an does the adjustments (cuz I can't), then I'll reprint.

I managed to get some free time this past weekend. Started on the engine inserts (big thanks to maxhebus, they turned out great) and did a test print of Dave's rear Leggs and control vanes, which also look great.

20160816_102246.jpg

You guys are the true heros, we should all thank you for all what you've done !
It was great to see Darkside72 asking for Flintlock/Ron's help. :) It makes my day ! :D Thanks for sharing with us this link ! :)

And thanks for that Harrow find, used on so many SW models !

Last edited:

So what are you going to do about the length Ron? There really doesn't seem like there is a lot you can do without changing the length of the armature.

There are a couple of solutions to extending the length of the armature using the components I supplied. It looks like the amount of extension required shouldn't be more than 1/4", if that. This adjustment should be possible by either drilling a new set of holes in the aluminum C channel or filing the existing holes into elongated slots with a round file which would allow the forward fuselage shell to be slide forward slightly creating more room for a longer neck section. As has been discussed, the 3D printed neck parts need to be modified (I'm working on that now based on the great information Scott provided).

Alternatively you could change the three holes on the rear of the C channel to slide it forward but the armature will be most rigid if the aluminum channel butts tightly into the 3D printed mounting block as design. Of course, a C shaped spacer could take up the gap and help prevent any flexing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back