Thror's map

Atlas

After seeing the Hobbit's trailer, I decided to make Thror's map as a holiday project. I used light watercolor paper (~150 grams), black marker and red&black ink. This result was acquired after two days of working.

DSCF0699.jpg

So it begins...

DSCF0701.jpg

Traced with a pencil...

DSCF0705.jpg

...And inked.

The proportions are not exact, I know, and I also made a few mistakes, but nothing unpresentable. Still need to weather it, coffee didn't give a good stain to it, so I'll propably try tea next. Criticizm is welcome, and hoped.

_Atlas

Last edited:
Really fantastic job there Atlas!! :thumbsup

My minor nitpick (which comes from my own personal preference) is that I find the text to be too thin and would thicken/bolden it up a tad...

Nevertheless, bang up job! Look forward to seeing your progress and the weathering process!

Thanks!

The text is as thin as it is because my calligraphy pen failed me, and I had to use a regular thin sharpie. I'll try to get some progress done as soon as I can.

_Atlas

Got the map part finished.

DSCF0712.jpg

Stained. I ended using coffee as originally planned, just made it stronger this time. Only downside is, that I am not a coffee drinker, and can't stand teh stench of coffee. Luckily it'll wear off with time.

DSCF0714.jpg

Stained and folded...

DSCF0723.jpg

...And weathered. I traced the rip lines with an exacto before ripping, and the cut would act as a guide. On the folds, I placed the fold on the edge of my table and gently went over them with sandpaper.

Apart from frames and the moon runes, all done.

_A

Yeah, the smell of old coffee isn't too great. Another alternative to coffee an tea are walnut ink crystals. Dissolve in water and apply as you would with the above mentioned.

The smell wore off pretty quickly. Walnut ink sounds great, only coffee most certainly is cheaper =D

_A

I have thought about doing something like this but I fear my hand is not steady enough. Great Job!
Cheers,
Will

Hey, that's really nice. You could still stain it up a bit more and be screen-accurate, but it looks great. With coffee for staining I make up almost a sludge, really noxious stuff it is, ha ha. Dabbing it on with a sponge works well. Anyway, have a look at Daniel Reeve's site for reference on just how battered the original movie map was. Of course, you might not want it that stained! :lol

Yeah, as soon as I find a cheap UV pen somewhere.
With the weathering I decided to go with something speculative from the time between the Hobbit and Fellowship, so that it wouldn't be so tarnished. Also the camera flash makes it looka little lighter, actually it's a tad darker.

_A

Free hand, actually. I google'd pictures of the map and used them as reference. The tracing was done jsut because I wasn't confident with a sharpie.

_A

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back