Colonel Stars and Stripes Betsy Ross from Kick Ass 2

mattycsi

Master Member
I needed a short and simple project for the summer holiday. Being at home with a 5 year old limits your access to the power tools and chemicals somewhat!!

So I opted for this pick handle.
4539129-7.png

Started with a plain pick handle.
1 (1).jpg

This one was 36" long. So I took 8" off the handle end. The Neca replica is listed as 28" so I used that as my size guide.

1 (2).jpg

Wrapped a load of black insulating tape round the handle. this was to give it some padding and thicken it up a bit. I tried some foams but they wouldn't wrap very well, due to the oval shape I think. The taping on the handle works out to about 9". Then covered it in the red and white insulating tape.
1 (3).jpg

Painted the other end white and masked off the stars.
1 (4).jpg

Then hit it with the blue.

1 (5).jpg

The general's eagle went into the base. I drilled a couple of pilot holes first and put a bit of superglue in them.

1 (6).jpg

The wood of the handle was completely unfinished, using ink, it would bleed into the wood (tested on the offcut). So i rubbed some natural oak satin finish stain into it. That sealed it up very well and stopped the bleeding.

My free hand artistic talent is limited. I printed off the scrolls from pics of the Neca version. Resized them and traced them, reverse traced and then scrubbed onto the handle. Inked in the outline with a fine marker.

1 (7).jpg

I painted the scroll in with white and dry brushed some of the stain over the top of that to yellow it a bit. Did the same tracing with the lettering over the top of that. Dry brushed streaks of black acrylic into the stars to emulate the waving flag effect.
1 (9).jpg

Then general's stars into the top to finish it of.

1 (10).jpg1 (11).jpg

The big one is a one star general pin. The small ones are cut from a 5 star generals wreath pin.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back