Thrift Store DH-17

foldart

Lying there in my local Last Chance Thrift Store, begging me to buy it:

DH17_01a.jpg

Shoots OK; electronics don't work. I smell a repaint!

Once re-painted with the raised lettering sanded off, dart attachment removed and cocking handle modded for a d-ring those are actually decent replicas, only about 1" shorter than the MR version. It has some other inaccuracies to but I got mine for $2 and already had the paint to finish it so the investment was minimal and it looks great on the shelf. :thumbsup

Last edited:
That's it. If you have a burning desire to make it slightly more accurate, I'd also suggest fillin in some of the gaps -- most visibly between the nose cap and the rest of the nose cone -- and I replaced the molded on barrel ribs with appropriately-sized bits of styrene strip -- that lets one fix the alterations done to them to allow it to be injection-molded in two halves.

--Jonah

Nice find! I wish I could find some more of these. I have one that I bought when they were still available in stores and I still need to paint it up. So many projects so little time.

I'm still trying to figure out a safe way to get the clear cap off the scope...

I'd also suggest fillin in some of the gaps -- most visibly between the nose cap and the rest of the nose cone -- and I replaced the molded on barrel ribs with appropriately-sized bits of styrene strip
Yes, do fill the tiny gap between the red nose and white cone - that will otherwise stand out after it has been painted.

You will go crazy if you try to change every tiny little detail to make it more accurate... I did. :$
I don't think the barrel ribs look that bad as they are, but what I did was to cement strips to thicken the few ribs that were the most off and then sand those rectangular to fit the nicest ones.

I'm still trying to figure out a safe way to get the clear cap off the scope...
People have used hot water or a heat gun. However ... some blasters have more glue than others. So while you might see someone's post that it was easy for him to get the cap off, it might not be for you. I myself have converted two blasters where one cap came off easily with a little heat and the other warped before it did.
The safe way is to mask it off when you paint it.

People have used hot water or a heat gun. However ... some blasters have more glue than others. So while you might see someone's post that it was easy for him to get the cap off, it might not be for you. I myself have converted two blasters where one cap came off easily with a little heat and the other warped before it did.
The safe way is to mask it off when you paint it.
Hadn't thought of trying hot water. The heat gun worries me... I'd be afraid it would warp.

Masking it off would be the easiest route, but then you've got that ugly bright orange inside the scope. I'd like to add the little "antenna" thing inside the scope, too...

I tried heat with mine and warped it. I hacked it off and replaced it with a cap from a Armor All pump bottle.

i still had to remove the old one and experimented with how I might do it if I had to do it again. I would cut it off with a hack saw, fine blade. Then use a sanding wheel on a Dremel to sand out that inner ring. That part should be clear anyhow an not over lapped if you refer to a real scope.

also, I used a clipped section of a lightsaber from a Darth Vader action figure to add the red tip on the scope.

IMHO, Spacebob's conversion is the best I have seen. Although if I had his skill, I would have altered the trigger. Also, some recent discoveries about the prop's side details have been discovered recently that would also need to be changed.

I just cut the clear cap off so I could paint the inside of mine.
Just remember to use a glue that doesn't affect clear plastic to put it back on again :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back