Thor's Stormbreaker Axe Build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by thepoynt, Sep 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. thepoynt

thepoynt Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey guys!

I'm relatively new to the forums here, and love seeing everything people are creating and collaborating on! I thought I'd start sharing some of the projects I've done over the past year or so. Here's a photo of my finished Stormbreaker axe from Avengers: Infinity War, which I finished a couple months ago:

44552151372_1393bcd063_k.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The axe head is made of wood (a mix of poplar and pine) and the handle is a PVC pipe, bent and covered in EVA foam. The scale isn't clear in the photo, but it's quite large; the head is about 16" long and the overall length is probably 3.5 feet or so.
    It was a super fun build, and hopefully someone else will be inspired to try their own. I recommend it! I also have a bunch of photos of the build process I can upload if anyone's curious, just let me know.

I should add that I made this before the blu-ray release, so I was working off very limited reference material. I'm sure it's not perfectly screen accurate, but it's close enough for me.

Thanks for being such a great community. Cheers!

(Permalink to album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmpPrRf8)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Ghostsoldier likes this.
  2. daddysmooth

daddysmooth Member

Looks great and yes, please show us how you made it!

3. thepoynt

Thanks! I'll try to pull together the photos and get them posted soon. Not tutorial-level stuff by any means, but I did get pics of most of the major steps.

I spy a familiar-looking axe in your avatar pic :)

daddysmooth likes this.
  4. Thorlief Golmen

Thorlief Golmen Active Member

Awesome work!

5. thepoynt

Here you are! Pics of the build process: https://flic.kr/p/2aZXVUC

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out I got it pretty close to the actual prop, but due to the fuzzy screenshots I was working off of, I had no idea about the little details like the runes, or the pattern around the circular cap on the end of the hammer. I *almost* want to go back and add them, but I don't want to risk messing the whole thing up...

daddysmooth likes this.
  6. daddysmooth

daddysmooth Member

Thanks for the pics, they are very helpful as I’m getting ready to do mine out of wood also!

7. nbennie

nbennie Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome! Those pictures have definitely clarified a lot about this elusive prop.