Thor's Hammer (on rock)

Dadpool

So Thor 2 is coming next month so I wanted to recreate "mjolnir" atop of a rock similar to the scene in the first Thor movie. I live in Perth Australia so I am hoping to recreate it as if it has landed here so the rock will look different to the movie.

I also want the hammer to be impossible to move. what i came up with is using a steel pipe which will be the handle as well as the stand. I found some pipe that was already bent at the right angle so SCORE! i then had to learn to weld (im terrible still) so i could weld the frame together. i went to a scrap yard and found a length of 6mm steel that was about 120mm wide, I cut it into one long piece and 2 small pieces which i welded together like a + which is the base. i then welded the handle to the base and welded smaller pipe to the handle and base. this I am bolting to a steel framed platform i put together, you could bolt the frame to the ground if you dont want the platform but i want it to be portable. it becomes impossible to lift as you are standing on the platform that it is bolted to so you are trying to lift your self.

Here is what i've done so far :)

Thor 1_001.jpg

Thor 2_001.jpg

once the frame was complete I used a cheap plastic copy of the hammer ( i wish i had made the hammer myself now as looking at it it would be simple with cardboard and fibreglass) which i cut holes out for the handle , I then made the basic shape around the handle frame with chicken wire, paper mache'd it then resined over the top, i used expanding foam to make the inside of the hammer rigid and underneath the hammer which i then carved into the desired shape... then resined again

IMG_3037_001.jpg

IMG_2854_001.jpg

Then I made a steel platform and screwed ply to it, I have bolted the frame to the platform and screwed the paper mache rock to the platform, i cut holes in the bottom of the ply and using expanding foam have reinforced the inside of the rock.

IMG_3039_001.jpg

IMG_2996_001.jpg

So far so good... now just texturing, paint and wrapping the handle.

www.facebook.com/DadpoolCosplay

Last edited:
That is a cool idea! I´ve seen people building the mjolnir stickin in the mud, but I´ve not seen the thing with the platform.

That could be definitely on my list of things I´ll do.

Keep on with the good work!

Great job on the base I have wanting to build one of those my self , I made a hammer out of metal and have been working on a way to make mine stick to a base as well. I thought of using a magnet but cant find one that is strong enough to hold it in place.

Really nice job!

okay so finally i'm back and finished...

#1, I didn't like that I was using a bought hammer so I made one my self and was surprised how easy it turned out to be
hammer.jpg

#2, after that I sprayed everything matt black and moved on to texturing, I tried a few different techniques for texturing/paint but just didn't like them, I decided since I was making it to look like it had landed in Western Australia I just used what was in the enviornment to finish it.
thor 6.JPG

#3, I have left the inside hollow, apart from some expanding foam reinforcement. I then ran a thick tube up the center which is attached to a fog machine hidden inside the base. at the top I have hidden holes that the fog can escape form, with some back lighting it looks great.
thor 7.JPG

#4, I used an old belt i found at a thrift store to wrap the handle, the silver part is an electrical cable that I painted silver and wrapped in unison with the belt. actually really simple.
563195_422464881188727_849082847_n.jpg

#5 pretty much done. a portable Mjolnir and rock thats impossible to lift.'
1375211_422464854522063_1569487627_n.jpg

Oh the main cinema in Western Australia heard what I was making and asked if they could display it at their cinema for the run of Thor. it was used as a center piece at the Black carpet premiere they hosted last monday and will be part of a competition they are running. I was lucky enough to be given a number of tickets so I got to see it with some friends.... it's Awesome! much better than the first one.
Thor Julian_001_001.jpg

Oh the main cinema in Western Australia heard what I was making and asked if they could display it at their cinema for the run of Thor. it was used as a center piece at the Black carpet premiere they hosted last monday and will be part of a competition they are running. I was lucky enough to be given a number of tickets so I got to see it with some friends.... it's Awesome! much better than the first one.
View attachment 249284

That's great. Always good to hear when an RPF member's work gets used publicly like this.

That's great. Always good to hear when an RPF member's work gets used publicly like this.
Thanks Uridium, the RPF has been good to me, even though i haven't posted much I've made an Iron man costume and learnt alot here... best thing is everyone is so willing to share ideas and techniques :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back