Things you've always wondered about in sci-fi movies

A time traveller going into the past, never returns to their own time/space reality. They may go back, not interfere at all with the timeline and then return to their present, but it’s to a new present created by their arrival in the past. Their friends and colleagues may look the same, but they will not be the actual people they left, rather the nu universe versions. Likewise, the time travellers original colleagues in the place they left, are Left to wonder what happened to the traveller, as they never return to the originating universe. Experiment classed as a failure.

yes, I do need a life!

A time traveller going into the past, never returns to their own time/space reality. They may go back, not interfere at all with the timeline and then return to their present, but it’s to a new present created by their arrival in the past. Their friends and colleagues may look the same, but they will not be the actual people they left, rather the nu universe versions. Likewise, the time travellers original colleagues in the place they left, are Left to wonder what happened to the traveller, as they never return to the originating universe. Experiment classed as a failure.

yes, I do need a life!
But is the life you need your past life or your new life? or your new past life? Would you recognize yourself when you visited the past and, if not, would you not really change anything but simply fulfill the role of crazy homeless guy like actually happened the time you met the crazy homeless guy that claimed to be your future self? The exception being future you killing past you in the past which would cause future you to not exist meaning you weren't around to kill you and therefore you didn't die?

You know this would be an exceptionally cruel thing to do if you came across a younger person that you know looks like young you and you just say "I am you from the future and please don't eat that fortune cookie..... the one in Guam.... I have to go, they will be here soon..." then run off. Years later when they realize they look more and more like you as they age, they will freak.

You know this would be an exceptionally cruel thing to do if you came across a younger person that you know looks like young you and you just say "I am you from the future and please don't eat that fortune cookie..... the one in Guam.... I have to go, they will be here soon..." then run off. Years later when they realize they look more and more like you as they age, they will freak.
I need to mull those two posts before responding to you man...unless I saw you before and told you that already:oops::eek:o_O:unsure:
Nah! :lol:

In BF (because it is improper to abbreviate articles), Marty gains the life he always wanted. But, what about the other Marty? The life he had is now gone! Since he had the time machine, did he go back to correct his timeline? Did he die in the attempt? Was he stuck? Did he displace yet another Marty?

Speaking of BF II & III, are these even the same series? Things are different. Is this an alternate, alternate storyline?
Screenshot_20230521-113344.jpg

Last edited:
You'd think the holodeck could simply use transporter technology to break down that material, like the TNG tech manual speaks of.

Its "rule of funny" in lower decks, but I can totally justify it as a safety mechanism. The holodeck simply can't dissolve matter brought in from outside the holodeck, unless there is a major malfunction, like they were worried about in "The Big Goodbye".

So after all life forms leave the holodeck, anything left behind gets "swept" by force fields into the containment units. I'm sure the computer pages you if you left something large behind, like your English riding saddle.

yes, I do need a life!
Why would their arrival create a new future if nothing changed? And why would there be an alternate time stream instead of one time stream that is simply altered? If an alternate time stream is the case, what would prevent someone from an alternate time stream from simply jumping to their original one? Would the time stream fracture infinitely if multiple people all jumped back to the same point in time at once? Who is The Doctor? Whose idea was it to create New Coke? Does Burger King really let you have it "your way"? Who thought Barney was a good idea? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Have you have your V8 today? Why is it we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway? Why do they call them "buildings" if they are already built?

And who's idea was it to come up with CLAMATO???!!!!

The list of questions goes on and on...

The biggest thing about Back to the Future is that Marty's parents, by the time he was past puberty, would have started picking up on how much he reminded them of the Marty they knew in 1953. In fact, it would have been a better ending before Doc comes back with the time machine as his Mom starts making a reference to how much he reminds her of the 50s Marty and their other kids start groaning and the daughter yells, "For the love of God, Mom, how many times do you have to tell us this? If that guy went to your school, how is it your yearbook never mentions him or has a photo?"

So now I'm evaluating everyone I see for the potential to do this!

yes, I do need a life!
I liked how the TV show Timeless addressed this with the cast immediately googling whatever time altering shenanigans they just handled that episode to see how they affected the timeline.

The idea that everything has a name. Like every field, every forest, every valley, every creek, every hill, etc. is named after something or someone. I grew up in the country and we had all of these. None of them had names. Sure, roads and rivers had names, but that was about it. It was just the field, the forest, the valley, the creek, the hill, etc.

The idea that everything has a name. Like every field, every forest, every valley, every creek, every hill, etc. is named after something or someone. I grew up in the country and we had all of these. None of them had names. Sure, roads and rivers had names, but that was about it. It was just the field, the forest, the valley, the creek, the hill, etc.
Good point, I'd never thought of that. It's just one of those things screen writers love but has no basis in reality.

I don't think that's all that unrealistic, we humans love to name things, it's what we do. It's just that in some cases you just don't know what the name of a particular item, location, or feature is but if you look hard enough or in the right place I bet you'll find a name.

Go somewhere like the Lake or Peak district in England. Just about every body of water or hill has a name.

Yes, agreed and the person who is portrayed as the, all knowing, local even knows the name of each tree and major rock formation.

Yea. I believe the whole "every spot has a name" is from UK/Europe. That kind of thing is so much more common there where they've got 1000's of years of history for even small towns.

We just don't have that reach back in the US. Some of our cities have hundreds of years of history, but so much gets knocked down and replaced that universal names for a spot rarely take hold like they do in "the old world" nations.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back