Things you've always wondered about in sci-fi movies

I feel it is inaccurate to say binge watching is the worst way to watch something. Do you just read one chapter of a book and then wait a week to read the next chapter?
I agree. I think that what you get out of binge watching depends a lot on the individual and how they process things and how they like to consume their entertainment. I'm sure that some people can process things just fine when binge watching something, or, in some cases, it works best for them because they'll forget things if they spread their watching out over time. There's something to be said about watching serialized shows one episode after the next and hot having to try to remember what happened in the previous episode because it was only 30 - 60 minutes ago.

The big problem with binging is that you don't get the buzz that you get from getting things in installments. There was a time when social media and forums would light up when good shows came on and everyone would talk about it. Now... it's all just gone. There's no time to even think about what happened or try to figure out what might come next because... it's just gone. I agree, half the time I can't even remember what I watched because there's no anticipation.

One thing I've found with binging a season/seasons, is that you see where they kept using the same shots over and over again. Your like, hey I remember that from 2 hours ago where if you watched it a week at time you most likely would not remember it from 2 weeks ago.

Aliens exist, if they exist, why don't they come to Earth?
Douglas Adams said it best:

“Space [...] is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.”

The universe is about 46 billion light-years wide, which is possibly a few miles longer than your commute every morning, though it might not always seem like it. Don’t worry, now we have Google Earth to really freak us out about how small we are.

I'm kind of surprised that we've never seen an in helmet view of Clonetroopers/Stormtroopers/Mandos showing what they see in a movie/show. The old EU said they have targeting cues linked to their weapon so they would see a target mark in their helmet based on where the blaster is pointing. That way they wouldn't always have to aim down sights to hit things. I would assume they could turn that on/off so they could target through sights or through the helmet cue.

I'm kind of surprised that we've never seen an in helmet view of Clonetroopers/Stormtroopers/Mandos showing what they see in a movie/show. The old EU said they have targeting cues linked to their weapon so they would see a target mark in their helmet based on where the blaster is pointing. That way they wouldn't always have to aim down sights to hit things. I would assume they could turn that on/off so they could target through sights or through the helmet cue.

Don't you know about the Stormtrooper helmets?

They don't have any provisions to see at all. It's just a solid mask in front of them. George Lucas explained it in a magazine interview one time.

That's why none of the troopers can ever hit a barn door with blaster. They are aiming wildly based on their hearing alone.

They walk around by peeking their eyes downwards out the bottom of their helmets. That's why they all jog so slowly and never really run. They can't see more than a few feet ahead of them. They don't want to get chewed-out by their commander for not hustling, so they make a big show of jogging but they are trying not to move forwards too fast for fear of stumbling on something.

Think of the scene in ANH when Luke is practicing lightsaber stuff on the Falcon. Obi-Wan tells him to try it with the helmet's blast shield down. It totally blocks his view. Why would such a stupid blast shield exist if it was feasible to make a transparent one? It's not feasible, which is why the Stormtroopers have to deal with solid-face helmets.

The troopers' shooting accuracy is actually pretty good based on hearing. It's necessary for them to be combat-effective at all. That's why Obi-Wan noted the precise blast hits at the Sandcrawler massacre in ANH. The troopers' commander probably let them briefly take off their helmets to attack the Jawas, figuring that the hits would be more precise than usual (and look more like Sandpeople did it). But the troopers ended up being too precise without the helmets and Obi-Wan saw through the ruse.

Why would stormtroopers ride around on those slow clumsy Dewback creatures on Tatooine? They should be using some kind of hovering mechanical craft like a Landspeeder, right? The answer is because they can't see in their helmets to steer any high-speed craft. The Dewbacks do the driving for them. (Notice that the biker scout troopers on Endor were using different helmets from regular stormtroopers. It was a compromise in armoring to allow them to steer the speeder bikes. The Endor stormtroopers who were on foot were still using regular helmets.)

Remember during ANH in Mos Eisley, when the troopers stopped Luke & Obi-Wan to ask about their droids? It was easy for Obi-Wan to fool them because the troopers couldn't actually see the droids very well.

Remember during ANH when Obi-Wan went to turn off the Death Star's tractor beam controls? He used the Force to sneak past a pair of troopers standing around talking. He was in clear view of them both and they never saw him. But he used the Force to make one minor noise in the other direction and they heard it.

The clearest demonstration of the solid-faced helmets was during ANH on the Death Star. Three stormtroopers were breaking into the control room where the droids had been left, and one of them walked right into the top of the door with his head. It makes sense when you realize he could see a few paces ahead down at floor level, but his view was totally blocked at head level.

George Lucas said the whole blocked-face helmet thing was intended to be symbolic. The troopers think the Empire is morally right because they can only see their most immediate surroundings. They can't see any farther ahead. They can't see the larger picture of what the Empire is doing to the galaxy, which is why they are willing to participate in it. It's an example of the Vietnam War's influence on early Star Wars.

Last edited:
Why doesn't anyone use the folding stock on the e-11 blaster?
Without the stock you're obliged to either shoot it from the hip or hold it like a pistol. No wonder nobody is hitting anything.
OT:

Why Stormtroopers always miss.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back