Things you've always wondered about in sci-fi movies

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Why is the future "grey"?

Sci-fi movies in general are always "grey", that familiarity with the "military", NASA is not the military. "Battleship Grey" for spaceships, fine, unless green like Starbug, but if you are on a spaceship for months, or years at a time, then add some "home-style" decor, even Enterprise D had carpets on the floor and some plants, if really depressed, there is the "holodeck".

Well, the 23rd Century will be at least 50 shades of gray…

F856F0C5-CBC5-40DA-9F4C-3EBD40236D6B.jpeg

26CAA0FB-B454-4B68-9916-4EE242E0D983.jpeg

While the 24th Century will be brought to you by the Hilton family of hotels…

A3C07EA8-A148-4807-953C-32884E2613CE.jpeg

0190365D-F49F-4EF7-A9EF-F13EE0DD2E3C.jpeg
A386ECC5-7FE0-40AE-BA65-250AB8D94D62.jpeg

And the 25th Century will be brought to you by whatever dystopian nightmare you may prefer…

5201B245-AC81-4AD9-8CC8-8EB4E9E9861B.jpeg

Last edited:

Luv4Filmz

How do the 3 Seashells work in "Demolition Man"?

When Stallone was interviewed in 2006, he spoke of using two of them like "chopsticks", and "pull gently" and the other seashell you "scrape the rest". Not exactly hygienic, having to clean them every time, and friends using them if they need your toilet, or a public toilet.

I'm glad it was never answered, people still come up with their own interpretation, how about using it like a bidet, press one seashell to spray, one to dry, one to flush away, like Japanese toilets.
Screenshot_2022-05-08-18-51-41-715~2.jpg

Last edited:

The Goon

How do the 3 Seashells work in "Demolition Man"?

When Stallone was interviewed in 2006, he spoke of using two of them like "chopsticks", and "pull gently" and the other seashell you "scrape the rest". Not exactly hygienic, having to clean them every time, and friends using them if they need your toilet, or a public toilet.

I'm glad it was never answered, people still come up with their own interpretation, how about using it like a bidet, press one seashell to spray, one to dry, one to flush away, like Japanese toilets.
View attachment 1573415
I never put any thought into it, actually, because the moment they started with that gag I knew it was just the writers coming up with something for the audience members to think about on the drive home, and during their morning break the next day, and while waiting in line for lunch, and... As such, any answers we could come up with would be equally right or wrong.

Laspector

Master Member
Why is it that so many people in sci fi and fantasy never seem to have a job?

Did Frodo actually do anything for a living? Others in the Shire had jobs as farmers, tavern owners, butchers, gardeners, etc. Yeah, Bilbo was rich, but did he just let Frodo lay around all the time doing nothing? Even Sam worked for a living.

So many others I could name.

p51

Sr Member
I never put any thought into it, actually, because the moment they started with that gag I knew it was just the writers coming up with something for the audience members to think about on the drive home, and during their morning break the next day, and while waiting in line for lunch, and... As such, any answers we could come up with would be equally right or wrong.
Yeah, I never got caught up with stuff that was clearly written for the audience to fill in with their own imagination.
When I first saw "Pulp Fiction," I could tell right away that there was no answer as to what was in the briefcase.
I recently read there was a scene in "Big Bang Theory" where an exhausted/satisfied Penny rolled over in the sack and tells Leonard that he "really is a genius," to which he replies, "I had to Google how to do that," and for a long time afterward people wrote asking what exactly he'd done. As if there was an answer. The joke was you didn't need to know what he did and anyone should know there is no one thing a guy can do to get such results every time!

The Goon

...I recently read there was a scene in "Big Bang Theory" where an exhausted/satisfied Penny rolled over in the sack and tells Leonard that he "really is a genius," to which he replies, "I had to Google how to do that," and for a long time afterward people wrote asking what exactly he'd done. As if there was an answer. The joke was you didn't need to know what he did and anyone should know there is no one thing a guy can do to get such results every time!
True, but I've always had good results by...

:cool:

Mottrex

Sr Member
Why is the future "grey"?

Sci-fi movies in general are always "grey", that familiarity with the "military", NASA is not the military. "Battleship Grey" for spaceships, fine, unless green like Starbug, but if you are on a spaceship for months, or years at a time, then add some "home-style" decor, even Enterprise D had carpets on the floor and some plants, if really depressed, there is the "holodeck".
I may be mis remembering but seem to recall an article in Cinemagic where there was an interview where the technical guy said it was easier to film grey as it was less reflective to film..
That does sort of make some sense ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.