Things you've always wondered about in sci-fi movies

Why is the future "grey"?

Sci-fi movies in general are always "grey", that familiarity with the "military", NASA is not the military. "Battleship Grey" for spaceships, fine, unless green like Starbug, but if you are on a spaceship for months, or years at a time, then add some "home-style" decor, even Enterprise D had carpets on the floor and some plants, if really depressed, there is the "holodeck".

Well, the 23rd Century will be at least 50 shades of gray…

F856F0C5-CBC5-40DA-9F4C-3EBD40236D6B.jpeg

26CAA0FB-B454-4B68-9916-4EE242E0D983.jpeg

While the 24th Century will be brought to you by the Hilton family of hotels…

A3C07EA8-A148-4807-953C-32884E2613CE.jpeg

0190365D-F49F-4EF7-A9EF-F13EE0DD2E3C.jpeg
A386ECC5-7FE0-40AE-BA65-250AB8D94D62.jpeg

And the 25th Century will be brought to you by whatever dystopian nightmare you may prefer…

5201B245-AC81-4AD9-8CC8-8EB4E9E9861B.jpeg

Last edited:
How do the 3 Seashells work in "Demolition Man"?

When Stallone was interviewed in 2006, he spoke of using two of them like "chopsticks", and "pull gently" and the other seashell you "scrape the rest". Not exactly hygienic, having to clean them every time, and friends using them if they need your toilet, or a public toilet.

I'm glad it was never answered, people still come up with their own interpretation, how about using it like a bidet, press one seashell to spray, one to dry, one to flush away, like Japanese toilets.
Screenshot_2022-05-08-18-51-41-715~2.jpg

Last edited:
How do the 3 Seashells work in "Demolition Man"?

When Stallone was interviewed in 2006, he spoke of using two of them like "chopsticks", and "pull gently" and the other seashell you "scrape the rest". Not exactly hygienic, having to clean them every time, and friends using them if they need your toilet, or a public toilet.

I'm glad it was never answered, people still come up with their own interpretation, how about using it like a bidet, press one seashell to spray, one to dry, one to flush away, like Japanese toilets.
View attachment 1573415
I never put any thought into it, actually, because the moment they started with that gag I knew it was just the writers coming up with something for the audience members to think about on the drive home, and during their morning break the next day, and while waiting in line for lunch, and... As such, any answers we could come up with would be equally right or wrong.

Why is it that so many people in sci fi and fantasy never seem to have a job?

Did Frodo actually do anything for a living? Others in the Shire had jobs as farmers, tavern owners, butchers, gardeners, etc. Yeah, Bilbo was rich, but did he just let Frodo lay around all the time doing nothing? Even Sam worked for a living.

So many others I could name.

I never put any thought into it, actually, because the moment they started with that gag I knew it was just the writers coming up with something for the audience members to think about on the drive home, and during their morning break the next day, and while waiting in line for lunch, and... As such, any answers we could come up with would be equally right or wrong.
Yeah, I never got caught up with stuff that was clearly written for the audience to fill in with their own imagination.
When I first saw "Pulp Fiction," I could tell right away that there was no answer as to what was in the briefcase.
I recently read there was a scene in "Big Bang Theory" where an exhausted/satisfied Penny rolled over in the sack and tells Leonard that he "really is a genius," to which he replies, "I had to Google how to do that," and for a long time afterward people wrote asking what exactly he'd done. As if there was an answer. The joke was you didn't need to know what he did and anyone should know there is no one thing a guy can do to get such results every time!

...I recently read there was a scene in "Big Bang Theory" where an exhausted/satisfied Penny rolled over in the sack and tells Leonard that he "really is a genius," to which he replies, "I had to Google how to do that," and for a long time afterward people wrote asking what exactly he'd done. As if there was an answer. The joke was you didn't need to know what he did and anyone should know there is no one thing a guy can do to get such results every time!
True, but I've always had good results by...

:cool:

Why is the future "grey"?

Sci-fi movies in general are always "grey", that familiarity with the "military", NASA is not the military. "Battleship Grey" for spaceships, fine, unless green like Starbug, but if you are on a spaceship for months, or years at a time, then add some "home-style" decor, even Enterprise D had carpets on the floor and some plants, if really depressed, there is the "holodeck".
I may be mis remembering but seem to recall an article in Cinemagic where there was an interview where the technical guy said it was easier to film grey as it was less reflective to film..
That does sort of make some sense ?

When will they ever answer the biggest problem in Blade Runner? The glaring, repulsive elephant in the room has never been addressed.

The "hero" gets his hands on the newest model replicant and proceeds to do what?

"More human than human is our motto." So replicants are human and live for 4 years. Rachael is a replicant. How old is Rachael? What do you call a four year old human?

This is the hero of the story?

This needs to be addressed.

I think that whole can of worms will be a real world debate in the future. If a sentient robot is programmed as an adult, yet is chronologically a 3 year old or younger, how would that work? You could say it's a toddler, but if mentally the robot is programmed to be an adult, would it be an adult? Because we all know the first robots will be sexbots.

I think that whole can of worms will be a real world debate in the future. If a sentient robot is programmed as an adult, yet is chronologically a 3 year old or younger, how would that work? You could say it's a toddler, but if mentally the robot is programmed to be an adult, would it be an adult? Because we all know the first robots will be sexbots.
...and personal slaves afterwards :oops:

Suppose you built a magic machine that can multiply objects, and made a 2nd copy of an existing adult person (not Kanye West). Should the copy be legally considered a newborn? Not legally an adult until 18 years later?

That doesn't sound sensible.

Literal physical age < Functioning mental age

Considering the apparent emotional development of the replicants, it makes sense. Maturity does not come from study, but experience.

It is kind of like binge watching a television series. It is the worst way to view it. When you watch this way, you do not have time to process the experience thoroughly. This would be akin to a memory implant.

Things look different in hindsight and the moment is not fully experienced. An experience over time gives the mind the ability to process. A predigested experience only leads to a very judgemental mindset. It it more like reading a review than seeing the presentation for yourself. You do not learn your tendencies for mistakes or for what types of error you are inclined to make.

Simply stated: you are prevented from learning the process of learning.

We all need to learn what not to do and how not to do it individually.

Last edited:
Considering the apparent emotional development of the replicants, it makes sense. Maturity does not come from study, but experience.

It is kind of like binge watching a television series. It is the worst way to view it. When you watch this way, you do not have time to process the experience thoroughly. This would be akin to a memory implant.

Things look different in hindsight and the moment is not fully experienced. An experience over time gives the mind the ability to process. A predigested experience only leads to a very judgemental mindset. It it more like reading a review than seeing the presentation for yourself. You do not learn your tendencies for mistakes or for what types of error you are inclined to make.

Simply stated: you are prevented from learning the process of learning.

We all need to learn what not to do and how not to do it individually.
Unopen boxes of knowledge are stored in our brain/mind from birth (Natural program) and these can only be opened by the right stimulus.
Not all have the same boxes (in number or knowledge) and if you miss a specific stimulus during your life experience; you'll never be aware that you had that box. Life/Nature is mysterious indeed.;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back