Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I hate it when a film trailer is built around a great song that never comes up in the movie. Case in point, I just watched The Mitchells vs. The Machines. My daughter and I were hyped because the trailer featured BTS Mic Drop. It was a good movie, but we never got the song.

Metropolis is now New York and Gotham city is now Chicago. How did they get this backwards???

Characters outrunning explosions and diving out of frame to safety.

Bad wire stunts as martial arts.

Characters on other worlds or pre 19th century asking if someone is okay.

Cgi that looks really bad when practical would have worked and been cheaper.

Stupid fans that get snippy when anyone points out how stupid any of these are.

Yea it was pretty hot and humid at Ft. Campbell, KY when I wore it. Thanks
Meh. Try wearing a MOPP suit at Aberdeen Maryland (within sight of the Chesapeake Bay) in August, or Fort Benning in the summertime. Both have humidity leaps and bounds higher than what you'll find in Kentucky.
I once had to empty my rubber boots of sweat after a few hours in Aberdeen. I lost over 10 pounds in sweat weight that day.

Meh. Try wearing a MOPP suit at Aberdeen Maryland (within sight of the Chesapeake Bay) in August, or Fort Benning in the summertime. Both have humidity leaps and bounds higher than what you'll find in Kentucky.
I once had to empty my rubber boots of sweat after a few hours in Aberdeen. I lost over 10 pounds in sweat weight that day.
APG. Stationed there in 84-85. At the time the only continental US base allowing jungle fatigues as a duty uniform. Summer sucked, winter sucked, and the other seasons weren’t a lot of fun either.

APG. Stationed there in 84-85. At the time the only continental US base allowing jungle fatigues as a duty uniform. Summer sucked, winter sucked, and the other seasons weren’t a lot of fun either.
I was only there in 1997 as a ROTC cadet after advanced camp (a three week post-camp vacation as I was assigned to a staff CPT who was never around) and then as a 2LT going through the branch course, the following year. The Ordnance officer branch course was the second longest in the Army (longest is Aviation because it included flight school), so I was there from Memorial Day until mid October. Being from Florida originally, it didn't seem all that bad as I'd grown up in a much more humid and hot climate.
Our cadre CO was a Chemical Corps CPT, so we spend way more time in MOPP than any other class that year. When we did the week-long field experience (which was a laugh as we'd all gone through basic Infantry training as part of either ROTC or OCS before that - thankfully we didn't have any West Pointers with us), we spent an insane amount of that time in MOPP suits. I was one of three people who caught some nasty stomach flu bug so I spent two days of that praying for death in my BOQ room, so I missed the extra MOPP suit time.
All this reminds me of an old joke:
Q: How many veterans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: At least three. the youngest puts the bulb in and the others talk about how much tougher it was when they had to do it.

People pretending to smoke with those fake puff cigarettes...
You can always tell when the actor doesn't smoke in real life because there are essentially three steps to smoking a cigarette:

1. Draw the smoke into your mouth.
2. Inhale the smoke (into your lungs).
3. Exhale.

And they always bypass step #2 because it would mean drawing the smoke into their lungs, at which point they're basically a smoker. No, the non-smoking actors draw the smoke into their mouths then, usually as quickly as they can, blow it right back out.

You can always tell when the actor doesn't smoke in real life because there are essentially three steps to smoking a cigarette:

3. Exhale.

And they always bypass step #2 because it would mean drawing the smoke into their lungs, at which point they're basically a smoker. No, the non-smoking actors draw the smoke into their mouths then, usually as quickly as they can, blow it right back out.
Ah the good old days..
I did love the taste of Malborough.

3. Exhale.

Which is funny because when you don't inhale the smoke fully (like a cigar) is when a cigarette tastes the worst.

bd985549-a2b5-440c-9aba-0e1b500a8bdb_text.gif

I don't know what can be done about the smoking thing, though, unless you only cast real smokers for characters who smoke. If you're not used to drawing smoke into your lungs, you aren't going to be able to do it without a coughing fit on set. And only a tenth level Method maniac will start the habit weeks before just to get a scene or two looking right. ;)

We best stop or All those Smoking memories will surface lol..
Too late for that. I quit, for the second time, roughly two years ago, and this time it stuck...so far. I enjoyed smoking and would probably still be partaking, except my wife and I had a major life setback so we had to quit as part of cutting back on expenses. Maybe when some rich relative I've never heard of dies and leaves me a few bazillion dollars...

Too late for that. I quit, for the second time, roughly two years ago, and this time it stuck...so far. I enjoyed smoking and would probably still be partaking, except my wife and I had a major life setback so we had to quit as part of cutting back on expenses. Maybe when some rich relative I've never heard of dies and leaves me a few bazillion dollars...
Or a crate of The Good Stuff!
What am I saying lol.. Like a great many things I've experienced, I've done it survived it and happy to move on.

I don't know what can be done about the smoking thing, though, unless you only cast real smokers for characters who smoke. If you're not used to drawing smoke into your lungs, you aren't going to be able to do it without a coughing fit on set. And only a tenth level Method maniac will start the habit weeks before just to get a scene or two looking right. ;)
Christian Bale Come on Down!....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back