Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Another thing that gets to me is that things are moving much slower than the plot says they are. How many cars do you see where the actors say are going really fast when it's clear you'd pass them in a residential street going that speed?
Think about the train at the end of BTTF3. Sierra Railroad locomotive # 3 (nor the model of it at the end) is going nowhere near 88MPH when he she hits that bridge!
Or for that matter, the bus in "Speed" never would have armed the bomb as I'm sure in real life, the 'hero' bus never got up to 50MPH. It's really clear on the scenes at LAX that the bus is going nowhere near that speed during the filming.

Last edited:
There are runs of ammo that are made for a specific nation or company, but unless it's a massive batch of ammo (like being made for a specific nation's military), you're right that they would not have their own headstamps on the casing. 'Beverly Hills Cop 2' had a reasonable answer to that, in that the ammo they talked about in the plot was custom made, cut down from rifle ammo (if memory serves) and they found a gunsmith who could have made it and of course the first place they went was where it'd been modified. But really, anyone with good machine tools and reloading dies could do that work and it wouldn't be nearly that easy to find who'd made them.
On top of that, military surplus ammo is a thing as well as ammo manufacturers that make ammo for both the military and civilian market at the same plant. Those two things could muddy up the issue of who the suspect is based on shell casings alone.

Movies where there is a car chase with both cars firing full auto guns and every other car just keeps driving. They don't stop or pull to the side or anything, just have to get to their destination I guess. Same thing with people on streets. Yeah some people would probably just freeze out of panic, but not when you have people just looking around and watching.

Movies where there is a car chase with both cars firing full auto guns and every other car just keeps driving. They don't stop or pull to the side or anything, just have to get to their destination I guess. Same thing with people on streets. Yeah some people would probably just freeze out of panic, but not when you have people just looking around and watching.
That's just one of those suspension of disbelief things. As was mentioned in a previous post about something similar, it's because the extras are specifically given direction to not react to what's going on around them. I think that it's because most extras are not trained actors and it's probably easier to have most extras do nothing rather than have to try to get some to not overact and others to act more.

I was in that situation on the interstate one time. A police chase (with shooting) went right past me at about 90-100 mph.

The perp almost clipped me as he went by and merged into my lane ahead of me. Then several cop cars were coming up & passing me on both sides (including the shoulder lane) with lights & sirens blazing.

I held my path & speed steady the whole time. It was a group of cars going about as fast as the drivers could handle. I didn't know exactly how many were coming. The best thing I could do was try not to be another variable. If you swerve or brake to move away from one car, then you might get slammed by another one coming up behind you.

Last edited:
I made a similar comment along those lines here some time ago. This is just like when someone drives into town and there are pedestrians all over the place and the vehicle is going much faster than any normal person would drive. And why? Because the scene must go fast enough and all those people are extras who of course know the car is coming. Same with chase scenes and cars sitting at red lights or would otherwise be cutting off those vehicles if they didn't notice them coming.

Another thing that gets to me is that things are moving much slower than the plot says they are. How many cars do you see where the actors say are going really fast when it's clear you'd pass them in a residential street going that speed?
Think about the train at the end of BTTF3. Sierra Railroad locomotive # 3 (nor the model of it at the end) is going nowhere near 88MPH when he she hits that bridge!
Or for that matter, the bus in "Speed" never would have armed the bomb as I'm sure in real life, the 'hero' bus never got up to 50MPH. It's really clear on the scenes at LAX that the bus is going nowhere near that speed during the filming.
Besides; can you really drive at 50 MPH on the Freeway?:lol:

I don't know if I am correct on this vent or not, so someone enlighten me.

You see these war rooms or whatever that have all these clocks on the wall showing the time of all different time zones and countries, etc. I get why the hour hands are all different, but shouldn't the minute hands all be the same?

Soldiers/sailors/airmen discussing classified information out in public! I finally watched that "Stealth" movie and the three pilots are sitting with a Thai citizen, who they assume can't speak English, in an outside restaurant and openly discussing the classified aircraft they are flying!

That reminds me of yet another fighter related peeve. Like in the "Stealth" movie, pilots grabbing hold of the flightstick with both hands and flying the jet like they are holding a handgun. So... how are you working the throttle? How hard is it to find some former pilot to consult on your movie? They are all over Youtube!

Soldiers/sailors/airmen discussing classified information out in public! I finally watched that "Stealth" movie and the three pilots are sitting with a Thai citizen, who they assume can't speak English, in an outside restaurant and openly discussing the classified aircraft they are flying!

That reminds me of yet another fighter related peeve. Like in the "Stealth" movie, pilots grabbing hold of the flightstick with both hands and flying the jet like they are holding a handgun. So... how are you working the throttle? How hard is it to find some former pilot to consult on your movie? They are all over Youtube!
That's true across the board though. How many shows do you see where the superheroes are talking about their secret identities while walking down the street?

son-dodgson-weve-got-dodgson-here-see-nobody-cares.jpg

I don't know if I am correct on this vent or not, so someone enlighten me.

You see these war rooms or whatever that have all these clocks on the wall showing the time of all different time zones and countries, etc. I get why the hour hands are all different, but shouldn't the minute hands all be the same?
Nope. Plenty in zones not on the even hour. India is like 12.5 hours ahead od EST and venezuela is 15 minutes off. Those are 2 i know of

One that gets me (speaking of car chases) is everytime a driver dies the car seems to always speed out of control. Driver dying should make their feet loses any lressing action.

Similarly cars speed out of control whhen the breaks get cut....put tbe damn thing in neutral or take it out of gear.

Playing catch as father and son (or daughter) bonding time is so cliche. Especially when a busy father who has been neglectful finally decides to spend time with them. Nothing against it, it's just there's so many other things that parents do with their kids to spend quality time with them. To often see the same thing gets old and boring.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back