Things you're tired of seeing in movies

'Taken' was the hit that seemed to get the snowball rolling on this stage of Liam Neeson's career. That one dates to 2008.

His wife's death probably didn't help, but this is also just a common career path for older action heroes. I dunno why they don't get tired of it but I guess it's steady work that pays well. Most good roles (any genre) go to younger actors, especially starring roles. If Liam Neeson wasn't starring in 'Death Wish' flicks, then would he be starring in anything else? He would probably have to step down the ladder on prestige & budgets.

FWIW, I think Liam is doing this career stage better than most. Denzel Washington is on the same path and doing okay. Bruce Willis is totally embarrassing himself these days. (Steven Seagal would be the worst embarrassment but he never had a respectable stage to start with.)

I wonder if Tom Cruise will go this way. The Scientology witch doctors cannot keep him looking 45yo forever. He's almost 60 now. He already auditioned for the Liam Neeson job with those 'Jack Reacher' movies.

Speaking of Bruce Willis embarrassing himself these days..

I started watching that Polar movie on Netflix (haven't finished) and in the opening, a shooter sets up what looks like possibly a Barrett .50 or maybe .338 Lapua and he's only 100-200 yds away. Oh and of course he has a huge 6x or 12x scope on it. You could hit the person with iron sights at that distance with a much lower caliber round and do the trick.
Was he also shooting from a standing position or with the muzzle sticking way out of a window, too?

About Bruce Willis - something just occurred to me. A lot of his behavior would make sense if his health was failing.

Doing terrible cheap movies for a buck.
Wearing an earpiece to remember lines.
Spending most of the time sitting down or using body doubles.

Recently he did a Broadway show where he played a bedridden character ("Misery"). He still wore the earpiece according to those guys in the video. But I remember a review blurb of that show, reporting that the audience applause left him "moved to tears" . . . . wait, what? The same guy who is phoning-in roles? And he cared about the audience response, but not enough to bother learning his lines?

I googled "Bruce Willis" and "health". There are rumors of early-onset dementia (he's 66yo). Whoa. That would actually explain everything. Maybe he's stacking up the money from cheap movies while he still can. It would hurt his ability to get those roles if he went public with his condition any earlier than necessary.

Last edited:
Stallone wasn't really happy with Willis: he said that he was lazy!

Kevin Smith didn't like him either. BW has never been easy to work with.

But he used to have some artistic motives. The BW of the 1980s-90s would not have taken these kinds of embarrassing jobs he is doing now. Something changed with this guy and he was only in his 50s when it happened. Harrison Ford was making Jack Ryan movies in his 50s. Tom Cruise & Brad Pitt are in their 50s now. Bruce Willis used to be in the same sentence with all of them.

Nicolas Cage has been 'selling out for the money' for many years. He still chooses higher quality & more fun roles that BW. Same with other aging action heroes like Mel Gibson. The early-onset dementia story is a tabloid rumor but I think it explains BW's last decade better than paychecks alone.

BTW, when people struggle with dementia and try to hide it, they often come across as uncooperative. Especially if they already had a reputation for it beforehand. They say "I don't feel like doing it" instead of admitting "I'm not sure I can do it."

Last edited:
For you veterans; tank rounds that you can time their flight with a calendar. How many tank rounds can Iron Man or anyone else avoid like they're Neo from the Matrix? How many rounds do you see leaving the turrets and it seems like several seconds time of flight before it hits something just a few hundred yards away?
Nope, in real life, even if you stand right behind a tank firing and looking down the line of flight, you're very hard pressed to see the projectile in flight (to a degree, because the muzzle flash is about the size of VW on an M1 tank's main gun).
If you want to see tanks shooting where it looks like they're using live rounds, watch the opening scene from "The Beast" where Russian T-55s roll into a town and start taking it out. I've known people getting into arguments over the use of live rounds in this film, but they used water-filled capsules on hot blank loads, which caused the main guns to go full battery (that means it slides back all the way when it does with a live round) and the water is instantly vaporized. They also times the ground charges very well to make is almost instant as it'd be in real life. No other movie has ever come even close. Most of the time, a weak blank doesn't move the barrel back a millimeter and seemingly ten minute later, you see a charge go off somewhere 'downrange'...

People who can sleep for years in Cryosleep and wake up easier than I can after only eight hours.
That drives me absolutely crazy as well. Not only do they wake up easily but are at full physical capacity. Just talk to anyone who has been hospitalized and on a ventilator for 2 weeks- they aren't able to walk without assistance for several days once they get out of bed and their muscle mass is gone.

Last edited:
I can believe Iron Man could do that though. His suit could probably track the projectiles and automatically take evasive action. If we have the C-RAM system that can gun down incoming artillery rounds or missiles, I can believe Iron Man's suit can avoid shells/missiles.

That drives me absolutely crazy as well. Not only do they wake up easily but are at full physical capacity. Just talk to anyone who has been hospitalized and on a ventilator for 2 weeks- they aren't able to walk without assistance for several days once they get out of bed and their muscle mass is gone.
I can confirm this. I spent 2 months in the hospital and then had to spend another month in rehab getting my muscle strength back and learning to walk again.

I can believe Iron Man could do that though. His suit could probably track the projectiles and automatically take evasive action. If we have the C-RAM system that can gun down incoming artillery rounds or missiles, I can believe Iron Man's suit can avoid shells/missiles.
Do you really get how fast something like that is? Depending on ambient conditions and the type round, the projectile coming out of an 120MM smoothbore main gun on an M1-series tank (105MMs on earlier Desert Storm models shot a little slower) travels anywhere between 2500 and 3000 feet per second. If the AI in the Iron Man suit could recognize the angle of the gun tube to figure out the trajectory and know where it was going, it'd cause serious injuries for Mister Stark once it flipped that fast once the round started leaving the tube.
And that's just if it had to rotate a small degree. Imagine having to duck or step out of the way. Go talk to an engineer and ask if they could make something that could get out of the way that fast after reacting to the round leaving the tube. THEN, tell them you wanna put a person inside whatever it going to move that fast from a stationary position.
Counter projectile systems start tracking something after it's established out of the barrel, not the split second it starts moving.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back