Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Yeah... I'm pretty sure Idiot Plot was mentioned early in the thread, but it bears repeating. I lost track of how many episodes of TNG+ Star Trek would have been over by the end of the teaser if the main characters hadn't been temporarily stupid at just the wrong time.
That's most shows these days. If the characters had actually used their brains, most plots would never happen.

That's most shows these days. If the characters had actually used their brains, most plots would never happen.
EOx_RP-WsAAFDMu.jpg

The "power walk briefing". A government official is hurriedly walking through hallways while his sectary apprises him of an immanent- terrorist, alien, natural disaster threat. Is it that urgent to get wherever they're walking to that sitting down for a few minutes isn't feasible?

It's even better when, because they are ex special forces, they can automatically fly anything. Most real world fighter pilots couldn't even hop in a helicopter and fly because it's totally different. Now I'm talking real world, not scifi.

Judging by the number of Ex Special Forces skills, I submit that Tom Cruise has served in every Special Forces unit in the world.

The "power walk briefing". A government official is hurriedly walking through hallways while his sectary apprises him of an immanent- terrorist, alien, natural disaster threat. Is it that urgent to get wherever they're walking to that sitting down for a few minutes isn't feasible?
Sitting is boring. The filmmakers don't want the minds of the audience to wander off or fixate on some specific piece of set decoration while they're supposed to be listening to yet more exposition on whatever the subject matter might be. Walking briskly is more energetic, and it keeps everything in the background moving past as such a rate that it barely registers.

Fight scenes: How about the female lead action star jumps and wraps her legs around the bad guy's neck, spins around thereby twisting his neck, and dropping him to the ground. Yes, I realize this is an actual move that can be effective. But it seems to be a modern crutch, a "cool shot", to help the 120 pound female protagonist drop the 250 pound male baddie. Every. Single. Movie.

For a more "realistic" hand to hand fight scene involving a female lead, see Charlise Theron in Atomic Blonde.
I saw this in person once. Some tint little female had gone through one of those "workout of the month" defense class and thought that made her a female ninja. She'd apparently go around intimidating men but not realizing she was generally in the South, where up to that time men were taught never to hit a woman (no matter much an idiot she's being).
Well, she pulled this on a friend of mine who had a lot of real-world 'pipe hitter' training with Uncle Sam and he was not in a mood for it. She did the 'boot to the head' thing to him, which only succeeded in surprising him (he'd been hit by some pretty big guys in his life). She then tried to kick him the junk, and at that point, everyone around generally was encouraging him to flatten her out, as he didn't deserve any of this numbskullery.
He closed with her and proceeded to give her a beating I hadn't seen since the worst bar fight I'd ever been in. She was quickly left battered and bleeding on the floor, literally asking people what had just happened. As everyone walked away, I heard her murmur, "That wasn't supposed to happen like that..."
Much later, I heard from someone who knew her that he'd broken a few of her favorite bones. All because nobody had ever stood up to her before because nobody wanted to clean the clock of a thin woman who was maybe 5' 4"...

It's even better when, because they are ex special forces, they can automatically fly anything. Most real world fighter pilots couldn't even hop in a helicopter and fly because it's totally different. Now I'm talking real world, not scifi.
I've never seen that before, what I do see is pilots being able to fly anything with wings, or rotors for that matter. But it is common for a lot of characters who are vets to be special operations vets (Special Forces is a special operations unit that's part of the Army and who are often better known as Green Berets). And most often, these former spec ops vets are former Navy SEALs to boot; they're rarely Army Special Forces, Rangers, Delta, any of the Air Force spec ops units like PJs, or even Marine (Force) Recon or Raiders. It's like the only special operations unit in the entire US military are Navy SEALs.

Or for that matter, a Green Beret or a SEAL who can fly anything, being taught so by the military. The military doesn't waste the massive cost of flight school on anyone other than those will do that as their primary gig. I've known a handful of SEALs and several Green Berets. None of them could even fly a Cessna.

And during that time they are often discussing this highly secretive/classified/urgent information out in the open, in public spaces or at least in other areas / hallways/ rooms of the bureaucratic building with underlings of much lower station or clearance.

I'm tired of movies depicting the tough guys in high school as little skinny dudes. I started, finally, watching Stranger Things and the two popular dudes are trying to intimidate this kid and when I was 16 I would have laughed at them. At least get some actors in these to actually look like guys in high school you would be threatened by!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back