Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Future love interests meet by physically bumping into each other which knocks one or both of them over and/or causes one of them to drop everything in their hands. The other helps them up/helps them gather their things and so their courtship begins. Ironically one of my best friends met her husband this way so yes it happens in real life but it's also cliche to see it over and over in movies and shows.
Every genre has a formula and this one falls into "Chick Flick Formula":p

Don't forget the sideways gangster grip the has been the rage for years in movies and TV shows which the Mythbusters also tested and showed you couldn't hit anything.

I have been rewatching Mythbusters (Spectrum doesn't stream about 3 seasons!) and just watched that one. The funniest thing is Kari firing a minigun in a dress in the intro for that season. The problem is that shows are still doing that. It's idiotic.

The background "cheering crowds" after some big spectacle is accomplished by our protagonist, where all of the background extras are pumping their fists in the air, almost in unison.

Followed closely by it's younger brother, the fist "pull", where our character has a "yyyEEEESSSSSsssss!!!" moment, clutches their fist and jerks the arm down toward their side. Mostly utilized after an amazing golf shot, basketball goal, or bowling strike. I could never figure out what natural action this is SUPPOSED to represent; the only natural real world application I can visualize is pulling down a valve release lever on a 19th century steam locomotive?!

yesss-kip-napoleon-dynamite.gif

channel 9 yes GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

Last edited:
The background "cheering crowds" after some big spectacle is accomplished by our protagonist, where all of the background extras are pumping their fists in the air, almost in unison.
I've posted this before, but I can't stand this shot of a really unconvincing celebratory extra. Ya'll didn't have another shot you coulda used?
Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 7.42.52 PM.png

...or the city under perpetual siege, where people just don't get up and walk out to a nearby town, and the National Guard and Feds don't immediately show up.

i.e. Gotham. Has been brought to the brink numerous times by the supervillain of the week. And here comes Batman to save the city, yet again. Imagine the real world, where a "villain" detonating bombs within cities, contaminating the water supply, destroying entire building and/or city blocks, ripping bank vaults out of buildings and dragging them down the street, taking over the TV airwaves and broadcasting their maniacal manifesto.... is met with NO military force? And the local police and Batman are left to investigate and clean up the mess by themselves?

(though come to think about it.., with the ever increasing violence and homicide in Chicago over the past few years I am surprised the National Guard hasn't been moved in to take up permanent residence in some neighborhoods)

...or the city under perpetual siege, where people just don't get up and walk out to a nearby town, and the National Guard and Feds don't immediately show up.

i.e. Gotham. Has been brought to the brink numerous times by the supervillain of the week. And here comes Batman to save the city, yet again. Imagine the real world, where a "villain" detonating bombs within cities, contaminating the water supply, destroying entire building and/or city blocks, ripping bank vaults out of buildings and dragging them down the street, taking over the TV airwaves and broadcasting their maniacal manifesto.... is met with NO military force? And the local police and Batman are left to investigate and clean up the mess by themselves?

(though come to think about it.., with the ever increasing violence and homicide in Chicago over the past few years I am surprised the National Guard hasn't been moved in to take up permanent residence in some neighborhoods)
Careful…

Poor-on-poor crime is normal in most times & places.

Gotham city was scary because it could happen to the Wayne family. The police couldn't even keep the wealthy safe.

Car tyres making screeching sounds on any and every surface. It's unrealistic.

Also people slurping drinks to convey the act of drink a liquid. It's horrible to hear in real life when someone has that bad habit and a condescending, pointless sound effect in film/TV. We get it someone put a mug/glass to their mouth, they're drinking, it doesnt need an accompanying sound effect, ever!

Car tyres making screeching sounds on any and every surface. It's unrealistic.

Actually, tires can make screeching noises on dirt that is smooth & hard packed. Seriously. It can sound loud & obvious just like the screeching you would hear on asphalt.

Ice/snow? Gravel? Those really don't screech. But even on a surface like that, the individual tires can hit brief patches of smooth pavement or dirt and produce short "chirp" sounds.

That's the problem with all the superhero movies. No one comes to help. I saw a meme the other day making fun of this where say you have the second (I think) Thor movie where aliens are invading Earth, yet Thor is the only hero that comes to help. What was the more pressing emergency that was preventing the rest of the Avengers from showing up? It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I think they might have had military in that one, I can't remember.

That's just one of those things you just have to deal with. That question has been asked ever since super heroes began teaming up in comics decades ago. You've got a gajillion super heroes on the planet. Why aren't they all there when a big villain shows up to rule the world?

Suspension of disbelief is really tough for me in those types of superhero ensemble films as well, one of the many reasons I tend to not bother viewing them. Quite often the multiple heroes and villains are all too strong to be even remotely believable, even in completely fictional worlds where super powers exist.

What else kind of bugs me is cities get leveled over and over and yet people still live in Metropolis and Gotham. Who would stick around to potentially get crushed on the way to work or during a night on the town because supervillains are running rampart and Superman is throwing cars or buses at them for the fourth time that week? I'd be out in a heartbeat living on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere working remotely (which honestly sounds like a great idea anyhow). There's only so much mayhem one can take.

Actually, tires can make screeching noises on dirt that is smooth & hard packed. Seriously. It can sound loud & obvious just like the screeching you would hear on asphalt.

Ice/snow? Gravel? Those really don't screech. But even on a surface like that, the individual tires can hit brief patches of smooth pavement or dirt and produce short "chirp" sounds.
What about on loose, muddy surfaces or sand?

Suspension of disbelief is really tough for me in those types of superhero ensemble films as well, one of the many reasons I tend to not bother viewing them. Quite often the multiple heroes and villains are all too strong to be even remotely believable, even in completely fictional worlds where super powers exist.

What else kind of bugs me is cities get leveled over and over and yet people still live in Metropolis and Gotham. Who would stick around to potentially get crushed on the way to work or during a night on the town because supervillains are running rampart and Superman is throwing cars or buses at them for the fourth time that week? I'd be out in a heartbeat living on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere working remotely (which honestly sounds like a great idea anyhow). There's only so much mayhem one can take.
The thing is, in the MCU, there's seldomly any big threat in the individual heroes' movies that require more than the intervention of the title hero. Marvel has been saving the Earth shattering threats that are too big for a single hero to contend with for the Avengers movies. Either that or the threat can really only be dealt with the title hero, like magic based threats in Dr. Strange, or the threat is only after the title hero and doesn't care about much else. It's really mainly in the comics that are guilty of dealing with major events that threaten the Earth but is only handled by the hero, or heroes in the case of the X-Men and related titles, and not every hero on Earth.

At the same time, this also varies depending on the hero. Some heroes, like Batman, tend to deal with villains that are Gotham based and aren't interested in taking over the world or anything like that. Plus his rogue's gallery is made up of mostly non-super powered villains. With the exception of Ras Al Gul, few of any of Batman's rogue's gallery is of any threat outside of Gotham.

The thing is, in the MCU, there's seldomly any big threat in the individual heroes' movies that require more than the intervention of the title hero. Marvel has been saving the Earth shattering threats that are too big for a single hero to contend with for the Avengers movies. Either that or the threat can really only be dealt with the title hero, like magic based threats in Dr. Strange, or the threat is only after the title hero and doesn't care about much else. It's really mainly in the comics that are guilty of dealing with major events that threaten the Earth but is only handled by the hero, or heroes in the case of the X-Men and related titles, and not every hero on Earth.
But even if you look at the first Avengers movie, you had five heroes up against a planetary invasion. What about Spider-Man or any of the other dozens of heroes that live in New York City where all of this was going on? Yes, we know that legally, they can't use the heroes owned by other companies and a lot of things hadn't been introduced into the MCU yet, but logically, there should have been dozens of heroes out there on the front lines and there weren't.

If this had been done in the comics, and I haven't picked up a Marvel comic in decades, I figure they would have had at least something going on in the background. It's really why these big shared universes don't make any sense. You have to explain why nobody else is around because in any realistic setting, they all would be.

At the same time, this also varies depending on the hero. Some heroes, like Batman, tend to deal with villains that are Gotham based and aren't interested in taking over the world or anything like that. Plus his rogue's gallery is made up of mostly non-super powered villains. With the exception of Ras Al Gul, few of any of Batman's rogue's gallery is of any threat outside of Gotham.
I was referring to the ensemble films like Justice League and Avengers many characters being so strong that having them all together is a bit much to swallow, not so much the individual character films.

But even still in the individual films regardless of their ability to be effective at helping or the villains going specifically after the title heroes, the other heroes rarely even try to help which to me is not very superhero like. Because even though the main characters are superheroes they are in distress and usually nearly get defeated by the villains. The other heroes often just kind kick back while said title hero is getting their @ss handed to them and say "Oh Dr. Strange (or who ever the film title hero happens to be) has got this. I don't need to get involved." Doesn't quite make sense, especially if the title character is actually in the danger we're lead to believe they're in. I would assume the villains wouldn't stop being evil if the title superhero was defeated and would be a threat to everyone else (the films quite often lead the audience to believe that to raise the stakes), so other heroes not helping is a bit ludicrous in that sense as well. But it all comes down to suspension of disbelief which is different for everyone.

I agree about Batman's villains being active only or mostly in Gotham, but they're still enough of a threat to warrant a mass exodus of Gotham for someplace safer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back