Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Well, the nuke blast in Terminator gave you that;)
Not accurately, it didn't. Sarah Conner holding onto the fence as a skeleton and still yelling?
No, I mean an accurate depiction, even a quick one. Hollywood always tries to wrap everything up nice neat and tidy. I think showing what happens to someone like that (or being whipped into a tornado like in Twister) would really surprise people.

Not accurately, it didn't. Sarah Conner holding onto the fence as a skeleton and still yelling?
No, I mean an accurate depiction, even a quick one. Hollywood always tries to wrap everything up nice neat and tidy. I think showing what happens to someone like that (or being whipped into a tornado like in Twister) would really surprise people.
I remember going to Leeds Armories and they had an event on to do with the 2 nukes dropped on Japan and it was horrifying. You think complete destruction and it was not like that at all.

Hence, not the accurate depiction of someone going through something like that. It's never bene done in a movie that I know of.
I understand where you come from on that topic...and if they really showed the effect on a person/building/car, etc some audience members would dismiss it because they're used to the "Hollywood Version". Like FFC asking if he could show, for real, what a bunch of Tommy guns would do to James Caan's body in the Godfathero_O Not a pretty picture, was the response of those experts, on how such a weapon would re-arrange your idea of a human body;) Same with a fighter plane is strafing soldiers/civilians...not pretty.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this however the getting locked in things it impossible to be locked in like car trucks and walk in freezers.
That said I wonder if it one of those tropes that are unwritten rules of hollywood?
Like how long it takes to trace a call.

My wife loves murder mysteries, especially the horribly-written/acted ones on Hallmark.
So, here's one that's so overplayed there should be law against it:

The 'detective' corners the murderer and they confess to the whole thing, then pulls out a gun (appearing woefully untrained) and the police pretty much walk right in and the bad guy has a "Curses, foiled again" moment and peacefully allows the police to cuff/stuff them.

Just once, I'd love to see either:
  • The bad guy confesses, then caps the often-present third party (usually someone connected with the victim) and finds a way to frame it on the person who figured it out, then walks away and goes on with their life with everyone none the wiser
  • The bad guy confesses, then caps everyone in the room and manages to get away (starting over somewhere else)

• The bad guy confesses, then caps the often-present third party (usually someone connected with the victim) and finds a way to frame it on the person who figured it out, then walks away and goes on with their life with everyone none the wiser
  • The bad guy confesses, then caps everyone in the room and manages to get away (starting over somewhere else)

This is one thing that I really appreciated about Dexter. Despite the show's faults, and despite Dexter being the protagonist, a lot of innocent detectives come to an early end just as they figure out that he's a serial killer and he ends up free. If you view him as the "bad guy" he gets away with it all the time.

Agatha Christie does this a couple of times or at least has endings you do not see coming. There is a really good BBC version of 'And then there were none' which does not end the way you think it is going to. She actually gets a bit of a bad rep in this regard.
Damn, I have just thought about my favorite Sherlock Episode in this light and it annoys me that my favorite episode is now worst. In the original she flat out beats him and in Sherlock she needs his help in the end, strangely annoying. The original version of "A Scandal in Bohemia" Irene Adler famously beats Sherlock Holmes and I think she is the only person to ever beat him.
I have just thought of a really good idea for a tv show that fits into the modern era really well.
I think the really annoying thing about Artemis Fowl the movie is that in the book he is everything you want in a bad guy. The book is on a level with the Inside Man and Usual Suspects.

When the bad guy captures the hero and explains why and how he did what he did, instead of just killing the hero and be done with it. I understand that the audience needs to know how the villains did it, but come on, there are other ways to show it.
I think it from Terry Prachett however he explains why you want to face a bad guy because they are going to want to show how clever they are and enjoy the bad things they are doing. A good guy on the other hand is just going to get the unpleasant task over as quickly as possible.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this however the getting locked in things it impossible to be locked in like car trucks and walk in freezers.
That said I wonder if it one of those tropes that are unwritten rules of hollywood?
Like how long it takes to trace a call.
I've been locked inside a walk-in freezer twice, once by accident and once on purpose. ;)

I hate it when the hero is THE ONLY smart person on the whole movie and everyone else is just plain dumb.
I think of Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds. (Maybe just because its Tom Cruise)
Been quite a long time since I last saw it....but.....
He always knew how to fix something, how to escape, or just happened to notice stuff that even military guys didn't. But couldn't even remember his own daughter was allergic to peanut butter.....

A minor nitpick but I'm tired of seeing movies and shows where people use the stock, default ringtone that comes with the phone. You know, the one ringtone that comes from the manufacturer on all models of their, like the main Nokia or Samsung ringtones. I'm not sure if anybody uses the main ringtone from the phone's maker, I'd think that one of the first things that people do when getting a new phone is to change the ringtone to either one of the alternates provided with the phone or some sort of custom ringtone.

A minor nitpick but I'm tired of seeing movies and shows where people use the stock, default ringtone that comes with the phone. You know, the one ringtone that comes from the manufacturer on all models of their, like the main Nokia or Samsung ringtones. I'm not sure if anybody uses the main ringtone from the phone's maker, I'd think that one of the first things that people do when getting a new phone is to change the ringtone to either one of the alternates provided with the phone or some sort of custom ringtone.
Hey! I still use the factory ringtone! Then again I am the king of lazy (or I would be if I hadn't sleep through the coronation).

Every British ex special forces type character having to have been SAS. I mean come on, mix it up a bit with some SBS or even maybe SRR if you want to make a spy movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back