Things you're tired of seeing in movies

from that twitter thread

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.19.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.19.02 AM.png
    102 KB · Views: 78
Here's an oldie but a goodie. When you have people encountering a strange alien goo or phenomenon and they just stick their hand in it or stick a finger in the goo. Lady agent on Debris I'm talking to you! I think they even did this a few times on X-Files. That drives me nuts! I watched it with my nephew and he was cheering for her death because it was so dumb! :lol:
Or when they come across some alien life form and one of them is bold enough to stick their hand out to pet it.

"xxx, what are you doing?"
As xxx reaches out, "It's OK. It's OK."

How the hell would xxx know?

He/she expects The Abyss when they should be thinking Prometheus.

Last edited:
Man I loved fun dip as a kid. We rarely got candy so it was awesome when we were allowed to get it!

I would guess this was already mentioned, but just in case, in scifi shows when they can instantly interface with an alien computer, or use it, from a race they've never encountered. At least on ST, Data will often be in that situation and they make an attempt to explain him trying to figure it out or he compares it to similar species and bases the language on that.

I especially liked the one where the Mom has a huge breakfast laid out that even Martha Stewart would envy, and the kids bound into the room and say they have no time to eat and poof, they're out the door. Any real Mom would lose her mind at a moment like that.
I'd never thought of what a cliché that is, but yeah, I couldn't count the times I've seen that in movies and TV.

Two people are playing chess... another person walks up, looks at the board for half a second, moves a piece, says "checkmate" or something similar and walks away.
That has happened to me several years ago. Playing chess with my best friend in a café, minding our own business, when that old man walked by, looked at the board and BAM!! Check mateo_Oo_O We couldn`t believe it!!

That has happened to me several years ago. Playing chess with my best friend in a café, minding our own business, when that old man walked by, looked at the board and BAM!! Check mateo_Oo_O We couldn`t believe it!!

Ok so myth busted I guess? :lol:

I think this was mentioned before, but I saw it happen again on two recent tv shows. When the dad on the show hears a noise he grabs a baseball bat to go investigate. I've never owned a baseball bat and there isn't one in my house! Never once have I seen them go to a safe and retrieve a gun like a sane person! I did see a movie recently where this happened and the guy had one of those small pistol safes on his nightstand and for once it seemed like common sense writing. If they aren't going to write the character doing what a normal person (well normal for the U.S. I guess), they should have the dad go downstairs with the bat to find the guy who broke in armed with a pistol or shotgun. Series finale.

Franchises. Every single one of them. They’re all dead and tired. Don’t want any more of them. It’s rare now that one actually manages to be a film rather than the cinematic equivalent of a Big Mac—mass-produced and full of empty calories. Stop making franchises, at least until the corporate overlords and their ways die off.

retrieve a gun like a sane person! I did see a movie recently where this happened and the guy had one of those small pistol safes on his nightstand and for once it seemed like common sense writing. If they aren't going to write the character doing what a normal person (well normal for the U.S. I guess)
It might not be as normal as you think. Not that I've been in the bedroom of everyone I've known, but I have never come across a nightstand gun safe (or similar) in my life. Not once.

I've only ever known one person who kept a gun in his bedroom, and that was in the closet in a safe. This includes many gun owning family members all over the States. If you sincerely need a gun THAT quickly in your own home you're living in the wrong place.

I've only ever known one person who kept a gun in his bedroom, and that was in the closet in a safe. This includes many gun owning family members all over the States. If you sincerely need a gun THAT quickly in your own home you're living in the wrong place.

I live in a really nice neighborhood and a couple houses over they had a home invasion at 3am a month or two back. Luckily the guy was there and not his wife. So it can happen anywhere.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back