Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Question for anyone that’s in, been in or knows how law enforcement agencies actually work...., it frustrates the heck out of me when ‘officials’ of such, in (t.v.,films) announce themselves at a considerable distance away from their ‘target’, only to have an ensuing foot chase occur...., why!?.
Does this happen in reality ?

Question for anyone that’s in, been in or knows how law enforcement agencies actually work...., it frustrates the heck out of me when ‘officials’ of such, in (t.v.,films) announce themselves at a considerable distance away from their ‘target’, only to have an ensuing foot chase occur...., why!?.
Does this happen in reality ?
As a former police officer I can assure you that i would always close off any avenues for escape before telling someone they were under arrest. Hated footchases. Never caught anyone in one unless they were drunk or tripped over something!

I don't know that we've given it a name on this side of the pond, but it's no different. It seems that staying at home because of the pandemic has further diminished what little skills people had for the act of driving a car, because so many people here are so much worse at it than they were before. :mad:
My daughter is relocating to Illinois she can't wait to learn to drive Stateside..but those roads!
Some are Wider than our Village Green, I kid you not lol

On the subject of cinema..
1.Those made up Computer screens which are either low tech DOS or Next century 3D tech.. we're looking at you Mr Stark.
2. The re use of same scenes to pad an Action fight scene.. BSG was notorious for it back in 78
3. Not so much now but stock footage inserted into TV shows

I loved and still do Silent Running but the Valley Forge ended up in I think Every Glen A Larsons productions..

2. The re use of same scenes to pad an Action fight scene.. BSG was notorious for it back in 78

I loved and still do Silent Running but the Valley Forge ended up in I think Every Glen A Larsons productions..
To be fair, 2 & 3 were commonly done due to budgetary constraints. Effects shots like those used in the original BSG were both time consuming and expensive to produce effects heavy TV shows back in the '80s and early '90s didn't have the budgets that they do now. So in order to save money, they re-used existing footage or flipped existing footage to save money on effects shots. Remember, back when the original BSG came out, composites were done using optical printers which require multiple passes of the model(s) when shooting them, then it goes into an optical printer to combine everything together, they didn't have things like Avids or fancy digital compositing programs back then.

In short, they were trying to do movie level effects on a TV budget back when movie level effects took nearly a movie level budget to do.

To be fair, 2 & 3 were commonly done due to budgetary constraints. Effects shots like those used in the original BSG were both time consuming and expensive to produce effects heavy TV shows back in the '80s and early '90s didn't have the budgets that they do now. So in order to save money, they re-used existing footage or flipped existing footage to save money on effects shots. Remember, back when the original BSG came out, composites were done using optical printers which require multiple passes of the model(s) when shooting them, then it goes into an optical printer to combine everything together, they didn't have things like Avids or fancy digital compositing programs back then.
Plus I guess they didn't expect you to binge everything SCIFI as a lot of us is did as a kid.. back then my main source of info were those compilation books themed on Scfi, horror etc mostly B/W photos of Buck Rogers (Larry Buster Crabb) up to SW with a smattering of 2001 and lots of movies you just couldn't access or watch till the wonders of Multi Region DVD players arrived on the scene...

Last edited:
My daughter is relocating to Illinois she can't wait to learn to drive Stateside..but those roads!
Some are Wider than our Village Green, I kid you not lol

On the subject of cinema..
1.Those made up Computer screens which are either low tech DOS or Next century 3D tech.. we're looking at you Mr Stark.

You know, growing up in the 1970s and seeing these movies and TV shows during their first run, I wonder if spaceship design was intentionally symmetrical, for the added benefit of being able to "flip" the image and have the fighter going from screen left to screen right, or vice versa?

It still gets me that ROTJ Boba Fett in Jabba's palace pulls his blaster on Boushh/Leia, and the image is mirrored/flipped left to right. Was not corrected in the Special Edition, DVD or Blu-ray releases.

Bb
You know, growing up in the 1970s and seeing these movies and TV shows during their first run, I wonder if spaceship design was intentionally symmetrical, for the added benefit of being able to "flip" the image and have the fighter going from screen left to screen right, or vice versa?

It still gets me that ROTJ Boba Fett in Jabba's palace pulls his blaster on Boushh/Leia, and the image is mirrored/flipped left to right. Was not corrected in the Special Edition, DVD or Blu-ray releases.
You may have a really good point about the symmetry and I hadn't even noticed about Boba!...
Blimey...

I realize the budget/production reasons for it, but the repetition in BSG did get tiresome.
It was kind of the same on Airwolf. After they'd built up enough stock footage of the helicopter, all the chases felt the same. There was very little footage of it interacting with the enemy craft of the week. Just stock shot banking left, stock shot climbing, stock shot firing. The battles were mostly an editorial exercise rather than something produced from the ground up. It also didn't help that you knew they were going to win 10 seconds before it happened because they used the same music every time. ;)

I've said this before, but I keep seeing it. People being chased by a car and they run down the middle of the street, argggg !
I mean there are cars on both sides of the street, huge trees, building's ect. I know some will say it's to build suspense, but it's so contrary to human nature. There are many examples of similar violations of common sense. I was watching the new Dexter the other day. And a girl at the beginning and his son later, are running away from a guy with a gun. Trees everywhere and the corner of the house right there and they run straight away from him. Stupid ! I know I'll get the standard but they're scared, not thinking straight, yada, yada, yada. It's instinct not thought. You run behind trees, you put anything between you and the danger. Just bugs me, ; )

I realize the budget/production reasons for it, but the repetition in BSG did get tiresome.
It was kind of the same on Airwolf. After they'd built up enough stock footage of the helicopter, all the chases felt the same. There was very little footage of it interacting with the enemy craft of the week. Just stock shot banking left, stock shot climbing, stock shot firing. The battles were mostly an editorial exercise rather than something produced from the ground up. It also didn't help that you knew they were going to win 10 seconds before it happened because they used the same music every time.

Everybody in the TV business was re-using more footage before home video players. Audiences couldn't pick the footage apart like they can now.

The producers of 'Dukes of Hazzard' were surprisingly wise about that. They weren't immune to re-using shots but they did it way less than normal for the time. The car chases were mostly new footage even in the later seasons.

It was kind of the same on Airwolf. After they'd built up enough stock footage of the helicopter, all the chases felt the same. There was very little footage of it interacting with the enemy craft of the week. Just stock shot banking left, stock shot climbing, stock shot firing. The battles were mostly an editorial exercise rather than something produced from the ground up. It also didn't help that you knew they were going to win 10 seconds before it happened because they used the same music every time. ;)
But what could they do? Both of those shows were expensive to produce with BSG requiring movie level effects on a TV budget and time frame in a time where such things required movie level budgets and movie production times. And in the case of Airwolf. flying Airwolf was probably not cheap to do, even back in the '80s. You got to figure that thing probably sucked gas faster than a normal Bell 222 would because of all of the added things to make it look the way it did. Then was the pilot or pilots that you had pay to fly the thing who probably started getting paid the minute they started strapping themselves in. Between those two things and maintenance costs, it would be natural for them want to keep filming new flying sequences to a minimum in order to keep each episode within budget.

Like I said, I understand and I don't say there was anything to be done about it. Doesn't change the fact that the effects of those limitations are evident.

One thing that drives me nuts is when you see a parachute opening, the chute is instantly fully deployed without you getting to see it opening or any delay after someone jumps from the airplane.
I can't watch the scenes in "Midway" showing bailing out as they look so darned unrealistic! Anyone who has used a parachute can tell you they're not instant. That's not counting the time you should wait until you're clear of the airplane if you free-jumping without a static line. That's the longest few moments of your life as you wait for it to open...

Last edited:
Jumping off a moving vehicle physics. If you jump out the back of a car going 30, you might be going backward from the direction of the car from your perspective, but from the ground's perspective you're still going forward at almost 30mph. So when you hit the ground you don't roll in the opposite direction of the car. This happens a lot in TV and movies because, of course, the shot of the person hitting the ground is done later in a safe manner from a standing starting position out of frame and they just roll in the direction of the jump. But it's wrong.

They do it in animation, too!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back