Things you're tired of seeing in movies

They won't unless you're shooting something like a .500 Magnum. Then that's going over just about everybody's head unless you're built like Arnie was in his prime. :D

I watched a show that R Lee Ermey did on handguns and he fired a S&W .44 Magnum and he said it scared him. He then fired a S&W .500 Magnum and said he liked it. I've never shot one, but I've heard it's pretty shootable compared to some other lower caliber handguns.

I just watched that movie A Quiet Place and I hate characters in movies where you need to be stealthy to avoid bad things (monsters, aliens, zombies, etc.) and these dumb*ss people get their wife/girlfriend pregnant in the middle of it! In A Quiet Place they have their youngest kid killed immediately by an alien (was it? They didn't say!) because HE WAS MAKING NOISE, so then they decide to have a BABY! A baby which is the loudest human of all! Seriously?!?! You have two kids left to take care of, why introduce something that will put them in MORE danger?!?! I was almost rooting for these moron parents to get eaten, but then their kids would have to fend for themselves. It's bad writing in my opinion and not realistic. Well not realistic for reasonable adults with common sense.

Couple things:

• The Highschool bully becomes a murderer for no other reason other than they hate the main character.

• Slow-motion shots using a camera not designed for slow motion, so it looks like a power-point slide.

• Hacking solved with short-circuiting a system (Looking at you Kong vs Godzilla, my engineering friend who has never seen a Godzilla movie had an aneurysm witnessing that scene )

• Highly appointed military personnel being completely arrogant to other scenarios.

• The fact that some movies have regular people in near-death scenarios without Post-Traumatic Stress disorder symptoms after. I mean, even Denethor II from LOTR had a mental breakdown after his 2 sons died. And that was a fantasy, based on similar stories in ww1.

• Explosions from things that wouldn't make explosions. Michael Bay. Stop It.

• *Edit* Sexism. When I watch movies that have like 3/4 of the film where the main character still experiences sexism it drives me crazy. (I.e. I'm going to sabotage you just because you're a girl. Imagine if a Film had Skinny Steve Rogers being bullied for 3/4 of the film, that's how infuriating it was.) There's no way you could make me so angry at a person for 3/4 without the main character have anything good thrown their way.

Maybe I'm just a fan of realism, I don't know. I can't watch a movie if they lack any logic.

Last edited:
Here's one... people in movies who get shot, but then are still able to fight, walk, run and kill the other guys. Trust me... someone puts a around in you, you're not going anywhere anytime soon.
Not always and shot placement also counts for some of it. If one shot anywhere is enough to put a person down, then we wouldn't have the sorts of acts of heroism that we get when we read the citations for various high level medal winners. Ones where people continue to fight on and sometimes rescue wounded comrades despite being wounded themselves. Adrenaline is an amazing thing.

I watched a show that R Lee Ermey did on handguns and he fired a S&W .44 Magnum and he said it scared him. He then fired a S&W .500 Magnum and said he liked it. I've never shot one, but I've heard it's pretty shootable compared to some other lower caliber handguns.

I just watched that movie A Quiet Place and I hate characters in movies where you need to be stealthy to avoid bad things (monsters, aliens, zombies, etc.) and these dumb*ss people get their wife/girlfriend pregnant in the middle of it! In A Quiet Place they have their youngest kid killed immediately by an alien (was it? They didn't say!) because HE WAS MAKING NOISE, so then they decide to have a BABY! A baby which is the loudest human of all! Seriously?!?! You have two kids left to take care of, why introduce something that will put them in MORE danger?!?! I was almost rooting for these moron parents to get eaten, but then their kids would have to fend for themselves. It's bad writing in my opinion and not realistic. Well not realistic for reasonable adults with common sense.
Didn't watch the movie yet, so did they want to have the baby, or the condom broke because of the silence? :p

Here's one... people in movies who get shot, but then are still able to fight, walk, run and kill the other guys. Trust me... someone puts a around in you, you're not going anywhere anytime soon.
Not true at all. Depends on multiple factors in the situation. There are plenty of police and military experiences of people being shot and carrying on doing what they are doing.

Examples;
Talaiasi Labalaba at the Battle of Mirbat,

Lance Corporal Simon Moloney CGC in Afghanistan,

What gets me every time I see it is whenever someone is either dead and brought or seriously unconscious/near death and they wake up or are revived and they sit up while taking a deep, gasping breath. Having no experience with this sort of thing I can't say how realistic it is but it's just so overused it would be nice to at least once see a character in such a situation actually slowly and groggily wake up.

It's not just their fault, their own parents should have known what condoms are then.
Maybe they're not available at your local store since the Alien invasion?:D
They did the deed before said Alien invasion?:unsure:
Accident happened, even with condoms.:whistle:
It's a movie tradition to put kids into situations that will bring problems and mayhem for the adults.:rolleyes:

Maybe they're not available at your local store since the Alien invasion?:D
They did the deed before said Alien invasion?:unsure:
Accident happened, even with condoms.:whistle:
It's a movie tradition to put kids into situations that will bring problems and mayhem for the adults.:rolleyes:
They should hire you to explain the plots of bad movies, you do an excellent job :)(y)

The retired CIA spook who not only gets randomly gets called to go do something for the 'company' and has their own private arsenal handed over to them when they retire.
I know a couple of 'company' retired folks and they all laugh at those scenes. One said, "I'd have loved it if they'd given me all those weapons to store at home when I retired!"

The retired CIA spook who not only gets randomly gets called to go do something for the 'company' and has their own private arsenal handed over to them when they retire.
I know a couple of 'company' retired folks and they all laugh at those scenes. One said, "I'd have loved it if they'd given me all those weapons to store at home when I retired!"
Not to mention that CIA agents & KGB for that matter, don't do anywhere near the kind of stuff seen in the movies. Very little to no gunplay and the stealing of secret is either done through remote surveillance or though double agents or turn coasts.

Not to mention that CIA agents & KGB for that matter, don't do anywhere near the kind of stuff seen in the movies. Very little to no gunplay and the stealing of secret is either done through remote surveillance or though double agents or turn coasts.
Yeah, most of the 'pipe hitter' types (some movies call them "Wet" teams) in the 'The Company' are usually former DELTA or SEALs. They represent a very small percentage of 'Company' personnel. Most CIA people don't even have issued sidearms, let alone send rounds downrange during their careers while on duty.

One of my favorite parts of World War Z, the book not the movie, was the chapter(s) involving the Former CIA agent, and he talks about how the double edge sword of the all misinformation/urban legends/mythos around the CIA and the capabilities of the the agency and its agents, how its all great to dissuade your enemies, but you end up with people in your own government who think that you actually can do all this stuff and get very upset when you can't.

My aunt's brother was a SEAL in the 80s and he said the same thing. He said they would get politicians that thought they were super heroes and could single handedly complete what would obviously be, to them, suicide missions. It would be one thing to do that mission if you know it was vital, but not because the person trying to send them on the mission didn't know the difference.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back