Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I keep my FAS1 pistol box between my nightstand and my bed. At night it stays open with access to the holster just by reaching. During the day the box is closed.

EJ6UxyVWwAAfBHf.jpg

Last edited:
I live in a really nice neighborhood and a couple houses over they had a home invasion at 3am a month or two back. Luckily the guy was there and not his wife. So it can happen anywhere.

Oh, I realize that, and I'm not anti-gun by any stretch as I have a bit of a collection. I just meant that if you need it at the ready in your night table I can see a lot more going wrong with that then right. Hearing someone downstairs and getting it out of the safe to investigate is a bit different. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm picturing a quick draw when you're half asleep and it's dark. Great way to ruin a surprise late night visit from your girlfriend. :lol:

Either way, I think the trope of a baseball bat or some other makeshift melee weapon is more normal for most.

Oh, I realize that, and I'm not anti-gun by any stretch as I have a bit of a collection. I just meant that if you need it at the ready in your night table I can see a lot more going wrong with that then right. Hearing someone downstairs and getting it out of the safe to investigate is a bit different. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm picturing a quick draw when you're half asleep and it's dark. Great way to ruin a surprise late night visit from your girlfriend. :lol:

Either way, I think the trope of a baseball bat or some other makeshift melee weapon is more normal for most.

It is a safe though. Mine has fingerprint access, but others are combinations of keys. Besides only a complete idiot would just go around shooting up their house without IDing the person. That's why you have a flashlight mounted to your handgun.

It is a safe though. Mine has fingerprint access, but others are combinations of keys. Besides only a complete idiot would just go around shooting up their house without IDing the person. That's why you have a flashlight mounted to your handgun.
That is unless your handgun is so old that it pre-dates the time when rails on pistols were a thing.

I haven't seen anyone with one either and that includes my brother-in-law who is a former cop and competitive shooter. He doesn't keep a gun under his pillow.
Yeah, me neither and I'm second generation competition shooter. I've never seen one in real life in someone's house and I know countless gun owners and police officers.
A pistol under your pillow is a very bad idea anyway.
I think the whole baseball bat thing is there to show how inept the character is for dealing with a real life threat in their house? Besides, in this day and age, gun owners are often depicted as either the bad guys are slightly nuts.
When's the last time you saw a sane, average "normal" person with a firearm depicted in a movie or TV show?

Yeah, me neither and I'm second generation competition shooter. I've never seen one in real life in someone's house and I know countless gun owners and police officers.
I think the whole baseball bat thing is there to show how inept the character is for dealing with a real life threat in their house? Besides, in this day and age, gun owners are often depicted as either the bad guys are slightly nuts.
When's the last time you saw a sane, average "normal" person with a firearm depicted in a movie or TV show?
Yeah, I doubt anybody actually keeps a gun under their pillow for two reasons.

1. Unless your pillow is really thick and firm, you're going to feel the gun under your pillow if its' in the center right under your head. On the sides, it's not that secure and can knocked out from under the pillow or taken.

2. Unless your pistol is kept really dry, it's going to stain the pillow case and sheets with lube. Minor issue I suppose, but definitely something if you live with a significant other who would likely not appreciate gun oil stains on your sheets and pillow case.

Agreed, keeping one under the pillow = bad idea.

Also, good to have a large dog sleeping next to your bed.
My large dog is a rottweiler/coonhound mix and has a very loud and typical "big dog" bark. Fortunately for the mail carrier, his bark is much worse than his bite.

Still manages to scare off the occasional Prime Delivery carrier, though.

Yeah, I doubt anybody actually keeps a gun under their pillow for two reasons.

1. Unless your pillow is really thick and firm, you're going to feel the gun under your pillow if its' in the center right under your head. On the sides, it's not that secure and can knocked out from under the pillow or taken.

2. Unless your pistol is kept really dry, it's going to stain the pillow case and sheets with lube. Minor issue I suppose, but definitely something if you live with a significant other who would likely not appreciate gun oil stains on your sheets and pillow case.
I was actually thinking of the third reason, that God knows what you might do with your hands in your sleep. And free-floating access to a loaded small firearm when you're asleep is never a good idea.
Heck, one of my soldiers from my active duty days got shot during Desert Storm when they were all racked out in the back of 5-ton truck during the breakout into Kuwait and one of the other guys in the truck had an accidental discharge while they were moving, just nicking him in the shin (he said he was fine, didn't even need stitches and he got a purple heart out of it).

My large dog is a rottweiler/coonhound mix and has a very loud and typical "big dog" bark. Fortunately for the mail carrier, his bark is much worse than his bite.

Still manages to scare off the occasional Prime Delivery carrier, though.

We had a German Shepherd/Black Lab/Chow mix and he was really loud and fairly big. Every time my sister would answer the door for a delivery or something she would says "Oh don't worry he's a big baby". We had to tell her to shut up and tell them they're lucky we stopped him from ripping a leg off! :D

It was a metaphor. So far as I know, all of his weapons are locked up in a gun safe in the den. When I had guns, that's where mine were. I never felt the need to keep one on me, ever. No baseball bats either. There's very low crime around here and we've got an alarm. Nobody is breaking in without us knowing about it and the police knowing about it too. I happen to be friends with most of the cops so...

A kid (usually a teenaged girl) does something wrong at school and the parents have to come down to hear about it. Afterwards, there's no remorse at all and the kid starts throwing attitude to the parents for their own bad behavior when asked what they were thinking.
I find fault with the premise in three ways:
1. What parent has the time from work to come down and heard something that could be explained over the phone?
2. And even if they could, wouldn't they demand to know what it was about before wasting the trip?
3. Maybe in an era where parents don't lay down the law like they used to, the kids can be more defiant, but what sociopath young person would give the parents attitude after being caught doing something wrong?
You'd have taken your life into your hands if you'd done that in my generation, that's for sure...

A kid (usually a teenaged girl) does something wrong at school and the parents have to come down to hear about it. Afterwards, there's no remorse at all and the kid starts throwing attitude to the parents for their own bad behavior when asked what they were thinking.
1. What parent has the time from work to come down and heard something that could be explained over the phone?
2. And even if they could, wouldn't they demand to know what it was about before wasting the trip?
3. Maybe in an era where parents don't lay down the law like they used to, the kids can be more defiant, but what sociopath young person would give the parents attitude after being caught doing something wrong?
You'd have taken your life into your hands if you'd done that in my generation, that's for sure...
I agree with you 100% except sadly for your comment "but what sociopath young person would give the parents attitude after being caught doing something wrong?". It seems giving attitude when caught doing wrong is almost the default setting for many youngsters these days. I have seen it many times. It has something to do with being "entitled" whatever that means!! In the UK we have actually had University students complaining on National TV that they have not had the perfect Uni experience they were dreaming of because of the inconvenience caused by the pandemic and what are the authorities going to do about it! I feel really sorry for them but then again other people have died, so why can't they get a grip!!!

Sorry rant over!!

The few times I got detention in junior high, and it was for really dumb stuff, I dreaded telling my parents! My parents were pretty fair and lenient because I was never a bad kid, but if I had acted like some of the kids you describe, I would still be grounded at 43 years old! :D

I agree with you 100% except sadly for your comment "but what sociopath young person would give the parents attitude after being caught doing something wrong?". It seems giving attitude when caught doing wrong is almost the default setting for many youngsters these days. I have seen it many times. It has something to do with being "entitled" whatever that means!! In the UK we have actually had University students complaining on National TV that they have not had the perfect Uni experience they were dreaming of because of the inconvenience caused by the pandemic and what are the authorities going to do about it! I feel really sorry for them but then again other people have died, so why can't they get a grip!!!

Sorry rant over!!
I actually know kids that would and actually do give their parents attitude when they get in trouble. I think that it's because they weren't disciplined when they were really young and now, when their parents try to actually discipline them, they don't take it seriously and aren't phased by anything their parents do or say to them as punishment.

I actually know kids that would and actually do give their parents attitude when they get in trouble. I think that it's because they weren't disciplined when they were really young and now, when their parents try to actually discipline them, they don't take it seriously and aren't phased by anything their parents do or say to them as punishment.
Yes exactly. Again in the UK there has been such a liberal attitude driven by the Government towards disciplining children that many parents are scared to do it because of fear of being reported "by their children" to the authorities. This has been going on for decades so no wonder youngsters feel "entitled". I think that means entitled to do what they like, WITH NO CONSEQUENCES.

It's like the previous discussion on keeping firearms next to your bed for safety. In the UK if anyone breaks into your house and is likely to threaten you or your family, if you use anything stronger than harsh language it is more likely you who will end up in prison for impeding the intruder's civil rights. We are supposed to be OK because if we live anywhere outside of a major city the police can get to us in around 30 - 45 minutes if we are lucky!!!! End of rant 2, Sorry again!!

Back to Things we are tired of seeing in Movies!

How about this and I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the hero is being hunted by the bad guys and is low on ammo. He manages to shoot a heavily armed bad guy toting an AK or AR-15 or similar with loads of ammo but he doesn't take any of it and just moves on to his next hiding place or supposed escape route!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I just watched Raya and the Last Dragon the other day and while I enjoyed it there are some storytelling tropes that I hate.

voiceover exposition dump directly addressing the audience. Time jump. Voice over “Narrate the plan while the viewers watch it play out in real time”. I really just don’t like it when stories progress in an of those ways. Pick a point, tell me the story from the (i.e after the time jump)

The few times I got detention in junior high, and it was for really dumb stuff, I dreaded telling my parents! My parents were pretty fair and lenient because I was never a bad kid, but if I had acted like some of the kids you describe, I would still be grounded at 43 years old! :D
I usually just told my parents I was just hanging out with friends after school, instead of telling them I had detention. :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back