Thin Neck Thanksgiving- Luke Cave Found Parts Revealed!

3251bimmer

Jr Member
I haven’t found a calculator yet, I was linked one awhile ago but it was located in Spain and the guy didn’t want to ship it

How many of you got lucky and found their calculator in the states? I know Tom got his this way, and I think he’s the only one I know of
I found one state side. Harder but not impossible it seems

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hiiiiii

Thank you for the mention Poikilotherm, yea I’m exploring options because the control box has a high amount of customization you can do… so the community doesn’t lose its taste for creation.

IDing the exact board and make up is extremely important, we all want to know. To other builders, remember this is supposed to be fun. I cracked open a really boring stupid calculator I got from an estate sale for 50cents and found it looked very similar to these 785 boards!

Twist my arm, I have a knack for understanding low-effort sellers. I have found many parts by searching really low level stupid things and getting a few numbskulls come up. How do you think I found my booster? Some lazy guy just wrote browning 303 (the caliber?) with zero description. I was read-up enough to recognize the parts and not rock the boat.

I found my 785 by searching for calculator lots as if I didn’t know what I had. I did a lot of research (or, memorization, learning what to look for and learning concepts) so I had a lot of tools and didn’t rely on the auction. I have a couple calculators coming to me at the moment with similar component makeups and patterns because I’m curious how close they are! Don’t hound me, one has wannawanga’s name on it already :)

Dann

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Still haven’t removed the flange on the atomizer, but the “correct” dental part came… I softened some of the hard edges.

Attachments

• C73102DA-4D9F-4132-9B48-F123621B0A34.jpeg
    C73102DA-4D9F-4132-9B48-F123621B0A34.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 53
  • 1A8B424F-94D5-42D9-91D9-D39C5E718C81.jpeg
    1A8B424F-94D5-42D9-91D9-D39C5E718C81.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

Dann

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Couple more. Made a custom jobby, too.

Tried to straighten the dental matrix thingy a bit, and finally removed the flange.

Attachments

• F755107B-C1BD-49FE-BB2F-67D89F27C375.jpeg
    F755107B-C1BD-49FE-BB2F-67D89F27C375.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 54
  • 441D9C82-967D-4840-B8A9-17458FEC2072.jpeg
    441D9C82-967D-4840-B8A9-17458FEC2072.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 52

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yea that custom one is beautiful Dann i wanna make my own now! The flat head of the atomizer actually works really well

Dann

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yea that custom one is beautiful Dann i wanna make my own now! The flat head of the atomizer actually works really well
Thanks! I just copied Chris’s idea, really. But you're right. The number 15 works great as a placeholder for anyone who can't find a 152!

Last edited:

Ridire Firean

Sr Member
I found my 785 by searching for calculator lots
Hey thd9791 ! I found two in a "lot" last week... but whoever won the auction has deeper pockets than me and they got 'em for $295.00!!!

If anyone is interested... later tonight I can share the pics of my 2 rulers and my mother's calculator (close, but does not compute :) ) with similar but incorrect calculator PCB for those looking for ideas to have a fun build with similar calculators that can be found on the cheap.

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey thd9791 ! I found two in a "lot" last week... but whoever won the auction has deeper pockets than me and they got 'em for $295.00!!!
I saw that… I was all excited until I saw the activity on the listing. I backed off, just not my cup of tea to fight like that over something like this in particular… sigh

Anyway, I actually molded my 785 for fun since I’ve never done relief casts (which this essentially is) and I’m torn between cutting them up and stacking them or leaving them the way they are… they’re so thin half of them snap anyway so I’ve already started essentially lol

Ridire Firean

Sr Member
Hey thd9791 ! How much of the PCB came through on the mold? If you were able to get the traces to show clearly?

If yes, you could cast with a semi transparent green resin and paint on top of the trace lines!

Ridire Firean

Sr Member
Hey @Poikilotherm ! Since you have so many calculators...

Have you experimented with using the 785 style power switch in your lightsaber's Activation Box PCB?

I'm wondering if it is the switch beneath one of the little bits of added on PCB bits.

Like they just glued a bit of PCB onto the top of the switch.

"Here ya go Mark. Just push this little raised bit right here forward to turn on the lights. Use this silver pokey thing to reach down in there and press it forward about an 1/8th of an inch. Maybe spin the tool around in your hand like your a lightsaber repair ace or something. That would be wizard."

BRRogers

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The problem with that is the circuit:
We know main power is OFF / ON with a SPST slide switch (Exactra style as seen in the photos)… but for power to transfer between green and red arrows like it does it *needs* an SPDT snap switch like the Honeywell switch on Boba’s rangefinder (which fits when shortened).
The switch on the 785 is integrated on the board but it is an off/on configuration not ON/ON if that makes sense. I’m afraid it wouldn’t work reliably.

Poikilotherm has compared the audio and it also sounds like the same action when listening beyond the music

Ridire Firean

Sr Member
The switch on the 785 is integrated on the board
Yeah, I was thinking that it may have even been inverted and the switch head was glued to the lower board making the cutout PCB the new switch "head"/lever. With the red wires seemingly come out from beneath it, it would have been a wonderfuly creative work around.

What IS on the other side of that little chunk of PCB?

Lower right hand PCB in Poikilotherm's pic here with the longer red arrow pointing to it...
20221127165203-png.png

Anything special there? Just curious since I don't have a 785 yet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.