The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by DaveG, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Studio Kitbash

Studio Kitbash Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, what a good build that is! Ooh, original donor parts instead of castings -- nice and crisp! Love the 8rad sidewalls, King Tiger rear deck, leading-edge of wing details, and all your cardstock/brick plating. It's really nice to see it "before it's painted" to see just what you've done versus what came pre-molded. It's gonna look Really Nice under paint.

2. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

I love the dual pilot cockpit! Probably how the originals should have been done. Y-wing screams 2 seater.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Yeah the canopy has plenty of room for two people. Not sure if/when/why it changed.
    The original concepts were 2-seater too. Clone Wars used this and made them 2-seaters.

4. Carnet

Carnet Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Probably because it ended up being cheaper for Lucas to employ one pilot actor as opposed to two pilot actors.

5. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Maybe, most forget that the first film was fairly low budget. Only $11mil in 1977 (That's about $45 today). EpVIII probably has 4-5 times that :)

6. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Yup! And it will probably suck 4-5 times more than ANH too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. Gus76

Gus76 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In case if anyone still needs it, I have now R2D2 and R5D4 in 1/24 scale. Specifically designed for 1/24 scale, hollow inside, 5-piece design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

knnyjay, stonky, CyberGolem and 5 others like this.
  8. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Gus76 likes this.
  9. merseajohn

merseajohn Active Member

Looks great Lee, thought I'd share my Red Jammer using Dave's parts and a lot of help from the guys in the community: IMG_4151.JPG IMG_4152.JPG IMG_4153.JPG IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4158.JPG IMG_4159.JPG

stonky, vectorzero, DaveG and 10 others like this.
  10. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

LEGIT! I feel like I'm looking at the original!

11. merseajohn

merseajohn Active Member

Thanks! One more for the road: IMG_4154.JPG

Studio Kitbash likes this.
  12. joberg

joberg Master Member

Wait a minute merseajohn...that Red Jammer comes from the Ranch right?:behave...Dude!! What a beauty:cool:D Pro-Job all the way!!

13. eethan

eethan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yes, amazing job! :thumbsup

14. Studio Kitbash

Whoopsie.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  15. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  16. joberg

joberg Master Member

TFS Dave:cool; very helpful!

17. maxhebus

maxhebus Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave!

18. sjanish

sjanish Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The plugins rock for all over the web. Thanks for posting.

I made lots of casting for the Y-wing when I got in on this project. I have some left and am blowing them out. Go check my thread in the project runs if you are interested. There are Sealab, Kettenkrad, Hummel, Tank IV, 1/24 Airfix, and more.

19. eethan

eethan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is great, thanks Dave. Photobucket really deserved that. Now they will have to hire a better developper to block the pictures again and ask for their freaking ransom. Sometimes I love the internet community! :thumbsup

20. DaveG

I just got a set of the droids today from Gus... WOW! is all I have to say.
    okay, I have more to say... not only are Gus's prints impeccable (he really has his Form 2 dialed in) the 3D models are perfectly detailed for this scale. None of the details are lost. Unlike the astromech offered on Shapeways which looks to be a brilliant model, but which doesn't print well at 1/24 scale. I highly recommend that everyone order a couple from Gus! But you're going to need two, one to put in your Y and one to have out on display so you can see the fantastic detail on the body and feet.

Gus76 and Lee S like this.
  21. FolkyPatrol

FolkyPatrol Active Member

Dave, you are a savor !
    Thanks to you we can access to threads we thought dead :D

I shall pass the message ;)

22. DaveG

Stormy320 likes this.
  23. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Well my 'Green Leader' has finally made it into primer :)
    I was waiting until I had my Neisen/Salzo Gold Leader (in the FG) was also ready so I could paint them at the same time.
    Now the fun begins!
    31369124_10156413772753530_9162511078960136192_n.jpg 31395226_10156413772778530_7549556567876567040_n.jpg 31301682_10156413783028530_8170686826894327808_n.jpg 31306748_10156413773003530_9048873812040351744_n.jpg 31317792_10156413772788530_2797748577152008192_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Studio Kitbash, Mike J. and Treadwell like this.
  24. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

25. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Well 'my Green leader' isn't a kit per say, it's hundreds of assembled parts. As many are original kit parts, it's certainly much cleaner that the resin kit :)
    But it's also FAR most expensive, and much more work to build :)

This is what it looked like before primer:
    View attachment IMG_0960.JPG

View attachment IMG_0960.JPG

26. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

oh that's glorious

27. DaveG

Nice work Lee!

28. makerthink

makerthink New Member

Great!

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

29. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

WOW!! :eek That looks INCREDIBLE Lee!! Love all the parts like that, then so satisfying when the Primer goes down and it all comes together!! Looking forward to see your treatment on both!

DaveG certainly did an AMAZING job with this project, and the different avenues folks are taking is inspiring! Love seeing all this!

Sean

Lee S likes this.
  30. DaveG

Lee S, Treadwell, Gus76 and 2 others like this.
  31. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Awesome video! I loved the amazing closeups of your Y. It looks soooooo good!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

32. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Today I finally finished my 'Green Leader' project. MANY thanks to Dave-G for pushing me down this 41 year quest to have my own Y-Wing.
    IMG_6034.jpg IMG_6006.JPG IMG_6003.JPG IMG_6026.JPG IMG_6012.JPG IMG_6025.JPG

Along the way I picked up 2 resin kits to go with them.
    IMG_6039.JPG

And then while painting them (I did Gold and Green at the same time), I decided to have a little fun!
    IMG_5976.JPG IMG_5999.JPG

Attached Files:

scottjua, edge10, maxhebus and 8 others like this.
  33. Carnet

Carnet Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know this thread is all about the y-wing, and all three of yours look awesome...but I just love that Mosquito! Really great job all around! The modeling work is so tight on your Green Leader.

34. DaveG

Great work Lee! Congrats on fulfilling the dream!

Lee S likes this.
  35. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Daaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnnnnn Lee!!! OUTSTANDING!! They look Fantastic, you always knock your projects out of the park and set a new bar!!! Congrats on completing, and more so beautiful job!!! Love your "Bonus" builds too, what incredible talent!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Sean

Lee S likes this.
  36. Jkirkon

Jkirkon Well-Known Member

DaveG

PM sent with a stupid question....

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  37. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

While doing some research on the Y-Wing and TIE models, I came across some thing interesting in the Chronicles book on page 110:

"Though it's the Rebel Alliance's older attack starfighter model, the Y-wing is a rugged, single-pilot craft, though one model also carries a weapons officer."

So there you go. Keep an eye out for the model with two pilots. It also lends to the theory that the Y-Wing originally had two pilots and may have been upgraded at some point to an automated system possibly controlled by an Astromech.

38. Cjfedler

Cjfedler New Member

Actually, the confirmed Canon is that the Y-wing used by the Rebellion is a stripped down version of the BTL-A4 . It was used by both the Rebels and the Galactic Republic during the Clone wars. However during the Clone War, the BTL-A4 was itself a variant of the more commonly used BTL-B which had a Bubble turret with a separate gunner instead of the Automated turret found on the later models. What's really fascinating is that the major change the rebellion did was just removing most of the hull plating for easier access. So all the greebly texture everyone loves on the Y-wing is the actual mechanical internals that on almost every other ship is covered up

39. Corellianexports

That's right. The Star Wars Cross sections book has a nice drawing of a Y-Wing with it's hull plating intact and there's a McQuarrie drawing
    in the Art of Star Wars book that shows an area of the Y-Wing with some hull plating.

40. Corellianexports

Here's the prototype with the weapons officer. More than likely, this is the model the Chronicles author had mentioned:
    26-Y-Wing_a.png

Even more interesting is one of the early drawings of the X-Wing pilot which bears a striking resemblance to the Y-Wing and TIE SS figures (ILM Figures).

215fc743ae74ab56aac806f4060577b3.jpg

41. CyberGolem

CyberGolem Member

Bravo! This was an amazing journey. Thanks to Dave and the RPF community for this amazing thread.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  42. CyberGolem

CyberGolem Member

DUDE!!

43. stevee671

stevee671 New Member

I just discovered this amazing build thread. I've always wanted to add a studio scale Y-Wing to my builds.

Am I too late for this party??

44. DaveG

Steve - It's never too late to build a Y-Wing! However you'll have to scratch build/3D print most of the parts. My run of fuselages and other parts is closed.

45. Studio Kitbash

I'm still producing greeblies if you need a set, check out the Classifieds thread. I also have Tee-Plates for your armature, but you'll need to 3D-print (or Plastruct mock-up) your body pieces. All the other stuff can also be found here there and elsewhere.

dtssyst and Lee S like this.
  46. Gus76

Gus76 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Carnet, bigpetr, Pro Mod and 2 others like this.
  47. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Beautiful work as always!

48. CheesyGrin

CheesyGrin Active Member

A little late to the party but this thread has inspired me to start my own Y-Wing. I Started a build thread here.

A question for the group - I'm prepping the armature pieces and cutting the Tee Plate on a CNC. 'Tee Plate.pdf' states 'To Lasercut, Waterjet Cut or CNC use filename "Tee Plate 160305.dxf"'. I searched the Google file share and could not find the referenced dxf file. Is the dxf file still accessible?

49. vectorzero

vectorzero Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just looked through my snapshot of the repository, but I can't see that file either.

50. CheesyGrin

CheesyGrin Active Member

Thanks vectorzero! Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well.

I recreated 'Tee Plate.dxf' from the 3D model in Fusion360. I have an svg version now too. I'll package all the files I create and send to DaveG. I'm happy to contribute to the open source repo if he approves.

vectorzero likes this.