The wooden ANH Graflex

uglyguitarguy

After completing another custom guitar build last week, I have some free time in the shop (between making end-grain cutting boards and upgrading my shop space). I decided (after watching a YouTube video) that since I made my ANH Graflex with Goth3D guts last year, I'd make a fun, stand-alone wooden Graflex prop from scrap I have in the pile.

I started off gluing some maple and oak I had lying around. Dimensionally, I'm going for as accurate as I can make it, but I'm sure I'll have to fudge it here and there.

IMG_4242.JPEG

Strangely enough, for all of my years of woodworking, I've never wood-turned on my Shopsmith before. Seemed like a pretty low-risk project to learn on, and it went pretty well. Got it within a few hundredths of an inch of my Graflex measurements.

IMG_4281.JPEG
IMG_4286.JPEG

I drilled a hole into the emitter end of my fancy new dowel with a forstner bit, and made a template guide from my Graflx to get a reasonably accurate shape to cut out. Then cut, sanded and lined up my Graflex for comparison so far.

IMG_4294.JPEG
IMG_4295.JPEG

IMG_4296.JPEG

So far, so good! I'll post more pics as I make progress. Next up will be the clamp box...

Last edited:
holy crow this is cool!

what does the tool look like that lets you drill such a big hole through the end, is it a bit stuck to one end of the lathe?

I did the same thing on the "pipe" stunt, carving that weird Graflex emitter, almost made the same cuts you did, nice work smoothing out the curves. I'm so excited to see how this progresses

holy crow this is cool!

what does the tool look like that lets you drill such a big hole through the end, is it a bit stuck to one end of the lathe?

I did the same thing on the "pipe" stunt, carving that weird Graflex emitter, almost made the same cuts you did, nice work smoothing out the curves. I'm so excited to see how this progresses
Thanks!

It's just a 1.25" forstner bit, drilled straight down into the center of the turned rod on my drill press, leaving it with about an 1/8" ring all the way around to cut down to shape.
1614019559376.png

Last edited:
I was originally going to have the bubble strip simply be some really cool quilted (bubbly) maple scrap that I have, but once I looked around my scrap I decided to go for a "real" bubble strip. Took a couple attempts but I finally decided to go with birch "bubbles" (from some hole plugs that I had in the shop). Getting tiny 5/16" domes evenly down to 1/4" was not the most fun I've had in my life, but worked out well, so I glued them into a maple block. White Oak wings to match the rest of the clamp, and we just need some clean-up sanding before getting this attached to the body.

1614186320060.png

Pretty busy schedule this week, so I'll get back to it again at the weekend!

Did you ever finish this project?
I fell off the RPF for a bit, so thanks for your patient on the VERY delayed response. I DID in fact finish the wooden Graflex. It ended in a bit of a rush, so it's not QUITE the quality that i'd hoped for, but it was still a super fun project and a great little addition to my humble little collection. The body is made of a mix of maple and oak, grips are made of wenge (it was super sketchy to cut those to shape on my table saw), and button is purple heart. It was all scrap wood from my shop. I even found a glow-in-the-dark paint for the "blade" dowel (which is held in by magnets). If I get the time, I might have a go at the Obi Wan V1 belt hanger some day...

I didn't take a ton of progress pics, bit here's some of the end result! Cheers,

1702584278908.png

1702584331077.png

1702584374872.png

1702584403061.png

1702584443399.png

Beautiful work! I'm interested in your blade rig. What's inside your blade? What does your socket look like?

I tried to DIY my own lightsaber blades for a few years and quickly realized how important material down in the handle is lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back