The Witcher (Netflix TV series)

Same here. Love it. But I think it's hard for newbies to the Witcher to follow because they really starting with the short stories embeded in a bigger frame with different times mixed up.

Same here. Love it. But I think it's hard for newbies to the Witcher to follow because they really starting with the short stories embeded in a bigger frame with different times mixed up.

My husband has no background in the source material aside from what I've told him and he's following just fine. :)

In fact, he says he likes this show even better than the Mandalorian, which is really saying something!

I binged the whole season today. I’ve never played the games/read the books, and from the perspective of introducing the characters/having adventures, it was easy to follow, but it took like four episodes for me to figure out that all three plot lines were happening at different times. There also might have been a lot of political/geographical stuff going over my head, but honestly I consider that the least important element and probably would have skimmed over it in the games and books.

Sorry, 3 episodes in, not that impressed. Kinda confusing plot. Acting isn’t great. Cavil talks like Batman all the time.

It’s not so bad that I’m gonna drop it (yet). I want to know know what happens, but each episode is kinda a chore and I find myself checking how many minutes are left in each episode.

Sorry, 3 episodes in, not that impressed. Kinda confusing plot. Acting isn’t great. Cavil talks like Batman all the time.

It’s not so bad that I’m gonna drop it (yet). I want to know know what happens, but each episode is kinda a chore and I find myself checking how many minutes are left in each episode.

It's never explicitly delineated in the show (no queue cards or anything in transitions), but do know that not all of these events are happening in the same timeframe. That might help. :)

My husband has no background in the source material aside from what I've told him and he's following just fine. :)

In fact, he says he likes this show even better than the Mandalorian, which is really saying something!

Sometimes we tell our wives the things that will make them happy....hahahah, I keeed! I binged The Witcher over the last 2 days after seeing this thread. Didnt know it was out there and never heard of the books or games. I liked it! A bit confusing until I figured there was some timeline jumping but overall really enjoyable.

My wife and I are fans of the games and she’s read The Last Wish (she is planning on reading the other books too). Anyway so far we are enjoying it. We are 3 episodes in.

So I finished the season. Maybe the source material is great, but I think the show doesn't do a great job presenting a digestible or cohesive story. I constantly found myself wondering, "who is that?", "was that important?", "when are we?", and "wft is going on?"

I'm a fan of the genre, so i finished the season. Reading the wikipedia page helps. I'd rate it about the same as the last (rushed) season of GOT. Or Iron Fist season 1.

I'm with the others in that it took me until ep. 4 to realize that each storyline is taking place at a different time. I had my suspicions before that with some mentions of the kingdom that Ciri came from but it was the events of ep. 4 that confirmed for me that there were different timelines going on at the same time.

My family gathered around the telly last night to watch the first episode and we were all underwhelmed. (Caveat: none of us had read the books or played the games.)

Yes the political mumbo-jumbo went over our heads. The writing and directing seemed mediocre, the score dull.

Being a person into costumes and cosplay the thing that strongly struck me were the cheap-looking costumes. We have had eight years of being immersed in the superb, intricate, and expensive Game Of Thrones costumes, which set the bar very high.

I noticed it from the beginning with Geralt's costume, which looked more like something I might see at a local Renaissance Faire than a GOT-level historical/fantasy costume. The sword belts looked cheap, and why the silly and cliché sword-on-the-back thing? (See the YouTube sword-maker's rant about those.)

When it really hit me was at the banquet where the Queen Calanthe and Eist are sitting at a table and their costumes were simplistic and cheap-looking. They screamed CHEAP REN FAIRE COSTUMES rather than believable mediaeval clothing as you would see in GOT. Royals would be wearing intricately made clothing with elaborate embroidery, clothing that took tremendous amounts of time to create.

Not only the costumes but many of the sets looked cheesy.

It's hard to believe in a fantasy world that looks like standard Hollywood-on-a-budget.

Last edited:
Well it probably is due to the budget... I really don't think it had the same budget as GoT, and the sets of The Witcher are pretty good, must have been expensive, as well as the CGI that's pretty frequently use with all the magic and monsters thrown around in later episodes. Swords on the back are just a trademark of game Geralt though. Even then, while he does carry it on his shoulder from time to time, he frequently carries the two sword in a large scabbards he carries by hand throughout the series actually.

That said it's not early GoT good for sure, but I find it pleasant to watch and I'll definitely watch season 2. Hopefully quality and budget goes up with the success as well !

'Game of Thrones' spent around 10-15 million per episode and the quality often exceeded the production values of major motion pictures.
I do not expect others to match that and and quite frankly if they are going to throw money at a series that they spent it on the stories and cast.
IMO one of the problems with the most recent season of Dr. Who was that they spent all their effort on location shooting and grand SFX and had no interesting stories to tell.

My wife had heard a lot of positive things about 'The Witcher' series and we were talking about it last night. This weekend we are going to sit down and binge watch it some, I know nothing about the book series or the video games so no expectations nor problems with casting or story trueness, just wanting to relax and see something new...

Last edited:
Binged this over the weekend knowing nothing about it. I loved the music and fighting, and i found it easy enough to follow. I like having a show that goes into the crazy mystical stuff right away instead of the GOT route.

So, finished it over the weekend.

Got a question.
Any one know, are we supposed to assume that between Yenifer going dark Phoenix, and the friendly army finally arriving, the dark army marching across the land had been truly thwarted, or was "the other front" some of them headed for supposed to keep them rolling across the continent?

So, finished it over the weekend.

Got a question.
Any one know, are we supposed to assume that between Yenifer going dark Phoenix, and the friendly army finally arriving, the dark army marching across the land had been truly thwarted, or was "the other front" some of them headed for supposed to keep them rolling across the continent?

SO.... in the source material, this does stop the Nilfgardian invasion at this time, but the Emperor is a greedy bastich (as is the case with most emperors), and he has ulterior motives that haven't been brought up yet so he'll try again later.

I'm not gonna bother to spoiler tag this, given that the show has been out for a while now. Mods can alter that as needed.

Anyway, the show does make a point of indicating that the Nilfgardians are being driven by...something. Some kind of religious or powerful being or whathaveyou. That, to me, suggests that whatever may have happened in the instant, because we haven't yet seen or learned who/what that power is, it's gonna be an issue in the future and has not been dealt with in any final sense. In other words, we've set up Season 2 and possibly beyond. Similar story with Ciri's powers. We don't know where they come from or how she can/will use them. They're apparently something that is genetic and may skip generations, but we don't know the whole story there, so that'll come up again later (obviously).

We've finished through Episode 4, and I finally realized that there are different timelines going on. Without any indication that certain things are happening in the past and other things are happening in the present, all within the same episode, it was rather confusing. Now I've gotta go back and rewatch what I've already seen just to try and figure out what is happening when.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back