The Witcher (Netflix TV series)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by LorduDesign, May 17, 2017.

1. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Never read the books. Tried to get into the 1st game, but man it's tedious. I have the 2nd but never played it. I kinda wanted to play the 1st one to get a feel for the world.

3. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Well. I personally read all the books. I haven't played the first game but I played both the second and the third one. Loved them both. And you don't need to play the first one to play the second one ;)

I am a bit worried though because Netflix is doing this show and not the HBO. I don't recall seeing any medieval/fantasy-based Netflix shows honestly. And also HBO always hire professional calligraphers to do all the handwritten props and I feel like the props for this will be digitally designed and just printed. Well, I hope for the best.

I would also be up for Charles Dance returning as the Nilfgaard emperor. He played him in the third game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZ5YkXVEvk

4. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Skip immediately to Witcher 3. I never played the previous games before and I played 3 and you can dive right in and not miss anything. I did go back and play through 2 very quickly just to see what happened. You get the gist if you talk to everyone and read in 3. Witcher 3 does the best job I've seen yet of dumping you in and letting you know who everyone is and the gist of what happened previously.

I REALLY REALLY hope this is faithful to the game, but I think it's very hard to translate a game to film. Fingers crossed though!

Solos blaster likes this.
  5. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

It isn't adaptation of the games but the original Witcher books however I hope the series look the same aesthetically and have the same style. Also I hope the voices of the characters are similar to English or Polish versions. Another thing that I wish will be in the series is the same style of score.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  6. JediHomer

JediHomer Sr Member

hopeful...

7. Sluis Van Shipyards

I think though that they may choose to base the look of characters on the games. It would be a good choice IMO since the games became more popular than the books (which I haven't read yet). I would actually put money on that vs. coming up with completely different looking characters.

Riceball and LorduDesign like this.
  8. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

I really hope the characters will look like from the games. Geralt for sure will do look the same. Even in this crappy old Polish TV adaptation he looked like from the game (actually a lot worse, but the same stylistics). As for other characters I would also prefer them to stay with similar look.

9. Sluis Van Shipyards

Huh, someone on PC Gamer was saying the Geralt in the book is completely different and insisted the author was going to push those looks. I think if they went with a completely different look than the games, they would make a lot of fans mad. I would guess, though I may be wrong, that the games have a wider fan base than the original novels at this point.

Riceball likes this.
  10. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

11. Sluis Van Shipyards

That is good news. I know the books are very popular in Poland, but I'm betting that most people are more familiar with the games. I'm hoping they base all of the character looks on the game versions. I'm still not sure how a live Geralt would draw his swords though. That might require a sword reposition or some camera fakery.

12. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Oh yes, they are very popular. They are also quite popular here in UK.

As for the swords, haven't thought of this. Also it would be interesting to see him fighting using both of them.

13. Sluis Van Shipyards

I haven't played the first game, but the only time I remember Geralt ever using both swords was in some finishing moves.

14. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is taking forever. I imagine one day I'll get a surprise notification that it's ready to watch.

As for the books, I just started reading them after finishing Wild Hunt. The first two are a collection of short stories. So much backstory that if you didn't know better you would think they were written as a prequel for the game. So the developers were definitely big fans of the books.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

15. Sluis Van Shipyards

Apparently now there's a big uproar because a casting call for Ciri went out and they asked for actresses 15-18 that are anybody but a white actress. I'm all for expanding roles for everyone, but they need to stop this crap of switching all existing characters genders/races/etc. I think several series and most lately The Black Panther, have shown new properties with a majority minority (uh... okay let's go with that) cast will work if it's good. It has worked in some cases, Nick Fury or Starbuck, but you can't fight racism with a new type of racism (no white actors).

Riceball likes this.
  16. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Why destroy the fanbase by mucking up an important character that is well established in the books and games? There are 3 female leads, they are all European and white. Get over it.... it's just rediculous.

mcoractual and Riceball like this.
  17. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As you have probably heard, the story now is that Polish is considered a minority in England. No real confirmation on whether the story about the 17 year old Polish actress auditioning is true though.

18. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Having recently played Witcher 3, there's no story reason for Ciri to have to be white. And frankly, that whole game is pretty white. Nothing wrong with changing it up a bit for a bigger audience. Nothing wrong with changing it up, period.

19. LordHorusNL

LordHorusNL Active Member

The character was written white, the story is based on polish history and polish history is white, the fans want Ciri to be authentic and thus Ciri should be white.

Polish history was never diverse, and the bigger audience can suck it. Period.

20. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Might as well "change up" EVERY well established book/game (in the Witchers case that would be various books and 3 games to date), to make sad agendas a reality. CirI is the daughter of a king, she has pale skin, green eyes and blonde/white hair.

Change it up... what nonsense.

21. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

There's no story purpose behind any character's skin color that I've seen in my 100ish hours of play. There are story reasons for people who are different races, like dwarves and whatnot.
    There's no reason to get your knickers in a twist over a skin color change for any character, assuming that these things are all equal anyway.

22. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

As you are a self professed advocate of nonsense why would you bother to comment about changing written and already portrayed characters to an established fanbase? Are you also a advocate for trolling said fanbase with your agendas? Just to ruffle feathers?

What are they going to do with the next game or book? Just make the characters whatever to make the TV show match the mess they newly contrived?
    Cannon is cannon...
    The fans will answer, they won't watch it.

mcoractual likes this.
  23. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Characters are changed and adapted for screen all the time, including gender and ethnicity swaps. I'm not trolling anyone, just having a different opinion. Unless disagreeing with you is considered trolling.
    In any case, yes I imagine the fans will respond.
    As a fan I'll be checking out a couple episodes for sure.

24. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Really? So Ciri's back story should just be ignored too? I think if you want the characters you are championing for you should write your own unique story and not mess with pre-existing established,published,and defined lore.

Characters are adapted for the big screen all the time? Who? Starbuck from BSG? Didn't go over too well as I recall.

25. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Starbuck was a great example! She did a really good job imo.

26. LordHorusNL

So you're saying they should make Ciri a white woman just like Starbuck was in the new Battlestar Galactica:p

You're finally starting to make sense.

27. mcoractual

mcoractual Well-Known Member

Yes. Absolutely. That is the status quo. ;) Don't like it, don't watch it. Rebel scum!

Well you know how the saying goes... when nobody watches it, they will cry fowl and label anyone who doesn't like it as x, y, z.

I guess it's okay to disrespect Polish culture though. It's not like this is a cultural folklore or anything...

Muh creative interpretation!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Riceball likes this.
  28. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

* can't post a link but it looks like this has been cast. Yennifer looks too young though.

29. Sluis Van Shipyards

Yeah I'm not sold on Yennefer yet. The girl playing her is okay, but Yen is gorgeous. I'm talking someone like Kate Beckinsale or something.

30. HEMADEW

HEMADEW Active Member

I thought in the books she wasn't supposed to be "gorgeous." She was even supposed to be less beautiful than her peers. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Either way, I don't care how she looks or how old she is. As long as she can pull off the character.

31. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I've actually started reading the books and finished the first batch of short stories last night. She is described in the book as NOT being astoundingly beautiful, but as having a certain charisma that draws people to her. It's less about her looks than about her presence. She's described as having a nose slightly too long, her lips a shade too thin, and one shoulder a bit higher than the other due to her condition (which I won't mention for those who don't want spoilers).

32. LordHorusNL

Yeah, i'm officially done with Netflix:facepalm

Casting a woman with visible Indian features to play Yennefer and a woman of African decent to play Fringilla Vigo knowing full well that the characters and their appearance are heavily based on Polish folklore and history.

Congratulations Lauren S Hissrich, Netflix just lost another subscriber.

33. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

34. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

35. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Who cares? It's a fantasy world. There is no Poland in the Witcher universe. This is what happens when people take it too far.

LorduDesign, Strikerkc and firesprite like this.
  36. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Screen tests and short reveals are all well and good, but I want to know how he does with children. Because, let's be real here... Geralt's relationship with Ciri is, ultimately, the most important facet of his story. It won't matter if he looks the part, or if he has melt-the-screen chemistry with the actress playing Yennefer; if he isn't believable as Ciri's surrogate father, then the project is pretty much DoA.

37. LordHorusNL

Changing the story of a beloved book series because of a political agenda is taking it to far.

Apparently you also care because if you didn't you wouldn't have commented on my post. If it doesn't matter to you, then why support the change and try to ridicule the opinion of a large group of people?

I care and most people who are a fan of the Witcher books care, the entire series is based on Polish folklore and history and changing the ethnicity of a character changes the entire backstory of that character.

I'm not opposed to adding diversity to this series mind you, just changing characters that have already been established!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    ackling17 likes this.
  38. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

I don't give a * about diversity, I think they ought to hire the best qualified actors regardless of race, gender or anything else. It ought to be skill and nothing else. But you're arguing effectively reverse diversity, refusing to hire actors or actresses because of their race, gender, etc. That makes you a racist, every bit as much as the pro-diversity regressive idiots that hire specifically to meet racial or gender quotas.

If you don't like it, fine, don't watch it, nobody cares. But posting this stuff does not make you look good. Just saying.

39. LordHorusNL

A racist now am i?

Expecting an ethnically appropriate person to be hired for what is in essence a period piece set in Eastern Europe during the middle ages?

And i'm a racist for wanting it to be as written in the books?

It's very simple and most people agree. Characters that are established should remain how they were written, if the creators of the show want to add new characters of other ethnic backgrounds well that just fine by me!

Saying you think they aught to hire the best qualified actor for the role regardless of race or gender is just ridiculous, whats next Anthony Hopkins playing Shaka Zulu?

And no, i don't care what people think of me at all :facepalm

40. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

There are ELEMENTS of the books that are inspired by Polish/Eastern European folklore, yes, but there's quite a bit that is not. Furthermore, how do you know that Medieval Poland didn't have contact with people who weren't white? You're discounting the concept that they would have had contact with cultures like the Huns, the Tartars, and the Karaites Jews, not to mention the Muslims who would give rise to the Ottoman Empire. Just because it's a predominantly Caucasian area now (which frankly, I kind of doubt), doesn't mean there wasn't contact with those groups.

Also, let us not forget that Skellige is an absolute bastardized mashup of Celt/Scots/Norse cultures and Nilfgaard is a pretty blatant rip off of the Roman Empire, one of the most diverse cultural groups in the Ancient world.

41. LordHorusNL

The groups you speak of were a tiny minority in a 99.9% white country, it was then and it still is to this day so no need to doubt the fact that its predominantly Caucasian.;)

But by all means, add what resembles a roaming Muslim or Jewish merchant to the story or whatever character you want with whatever background, absolutely no problem.

But having Fringilla Vigo be played by an actress of African decent changes her entire backstory, is she still second cousin to Anna Henrietta? Do you change her ethnicity to, is she still duchess of Toussaint?

How do you go from having fringe contact with certain minority groups, to explaining how people form these groups end up ruling entire sections of the land?

And why is it so important that these already established characters be changed?

Just makes some new characters that actually fit the world of the Witcher if you want diversity so bad, and nobody will care. It is after all fantasy.

Snikt and Riceball like this.
  42. Sluis Van Shipyards

Snikt and Riceball like this.
  43. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Couldn't care less. I care if she can act, I don't really care how she looks.

PotionMistress likes this.
  44. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You guys are putting all this fuss into the secondary characters, but what I really want to know is: Who thought Henry Cavill could act? Did anyone see the last M:I film? He's not good in it. I was worried the second they announced he was cast.

SB