The Walking Dead - Season 6 Discussion

I think the problem is that there wasn't a really good way to get across the back story while also telling the current story, without just devoting a whole episode to the backstory and one to the current one. So, they opted for the back-and-forth approach, but needed to visually distinguish it with the black-and-white look. I thought it was ok as an experiment, but I did find that the B&W portions tended to interrupt the action in an annoying way. I doubt we'll see much of that in coming episodes.

I think it is most certainly the Wolves at the gate of the community, but I don't think they have a clue about Rick's plan. I think it's just terrible timing. In the comic book, a similar group attacks the city, and loses badly in their first attempt and has to regroup. I think this herd is going to run into them and have the same effect.

There is no benefit to the Wolves to draw the walkers and Rick and company back to the walls. They would be better off letting Rick take care of the herd, and hope a bunch of them get killed in the process.

I think it is most certainly the Wolves at the gate of the community, but I don't think they have a clue about Rick's plan. I think it's just terrible timing. In the comic book, a similar group attacks the city, and loses badly in their first attempt and has to regroup. I think this herd is going to run into them and have the same effect.

There is no benefit to the Wolves to draw the walkers and Rick and company back to the walls. They would be better off letting Rick take care of the herd, and hope a bunch of them get killed in the process.

Yeah, that's pretty likely. I think it's also important to remember the impact of the quarry. The quarry explains how Alexandria has survived this long. Very few walkers managed to get through to plague it, so the walls were kept safe. But the quarry also kept the walkers away from everyone else in the region, which probably includes the Wolves. So, it's not just the Alexandria people who think they're tough badasses. It's everyone in the area, and all because they've never had to contend with a real horde or any serious buildup. So, the Wolves, too, think they're really tough, and probably figure they'll lure maybe a few dozen walkers at most into Alexandria.

Another option is that the Wolves attacked Alexandria when they saw the armed group leave the compound, and then tried to, like, drive a Mack Truck up to the gate to bash it down. Whoever was on sniper duty managed to shoot the driver...who then slumped over and died leaning on the horn. With the town under attack and the sniper firing away, there was no time to get out and clear the body off the horn...and now the walkers are coming. So it's just crap timing all around and everyone loses.

And they have to move on to another place... Friggin' zombie wagon train. Jeeze make this show interesting for a change. Have the military show up or some scientific element with a plan to deal with the zombies. Anything other than this little group of hillbillys moving on from town to town.

Um...yeah....that's not gonna happen. The whole point is the focus on these people and their struggle to survive. I think, however, that if they follow the comics, you'll find the upcoming events to get progressively more interesting.

I enjoyed the black and white. It reminded me very much of the comic. Especially all the super white bandages all over Rick's face.

And they have to move on to another place... Friggin' zombie wagon train. Jeeze make this show interesting for a change. Have the military show up or some scientific element with a plan to deal with the zombies. Anything other than this little group of hillbillys moving on from town to town.

The problem with that, aside from moving the story away from the characters we know, is that the military has effectively ceased to exist by this point. We've been shown enough to know that, by and large, the military has ceased to exist as an organization, at best you might still have some larger units out there and/or bases that have been locked down and made into safe havens ala Alexandria but as an organized force capable of going out there and bringing the fight to the walkers or rescuing people all across the US, they're no longer capable of that.

The problem with that, aside from moving the story away from the characters we know, is that the military has effectively ceased to exist by this point. We've been shown enough to know that, by and large, the military has ceased to exist as an organization, at best you might still have some larger units out there and/or bases that have been locked down and made into safe havens ala Alexandria but as an organized force capable of going out there and bringing the fight to the walkers or rescuing people all across the US, they're no longer capable of that.

That's kind of an issue with the show and source comics, I've always thought. At some point, I would have expected at least some survivor groups to be taken over by military personnel, and to operate as military units or at least in a quasi-military fashion. Some of this may be because -- outside of Fear the Walking Dead -- we have no real idea how the zombie apocalypse happened here. How fast it spread, how/whether the military tried to contain it, etc. We've seen ex-mil individuals on the show and in the comics, but we haven't really seen any military units that remained at all coherent. The closest I can think of is the cops in the Atlanta hospital.

That's kind of an issue with the show and source comics, I've always thought. At some point, I would have expected at least some survivor groups to be taken over by military personnel, and to operate as military units or at least in a quasi-military fashion. Some of this may be because -- outside of Fear the Walking Dead -- we have no real idea how the zombie apocalypse happened here. How fast it spread, how/whether the military tried to contain it, etc. We've seen ex-mil individuals on the show and in the comics, but we haven't really seen any military units that remained at all coherent. The closest I can think of is the cops in the Atlanta hospital.

We did see one unit, about platoon sized, that had survived but was eventually wiped out by the Governor. The thing about military units is that I doubt we'd see many just wandering like Rick & co. have, chances are that by now they'd have found themselves a nice spot to hunker down in and try to survive as best they can with maybe the occasional patrol to look for survivors. It is possible though that larger surviving units might go warlord but I'm not sure that any officer of any rank in the US military would be inclined to do so, but then again, who knows how they would react with the complete down fall of the government and civilization as we know it.

I imagine there would be a good deal of naval vessels that were able to keep things under control. I can't imagine dying on a ship in the Navy is a common occurrence so they would have known what was going on before they had to deal with it first hand. They wouldn't all be ordered back to port to help, right?

I imagine there would be a good deal of naval vessels that were able to keep things under control. I can't imagine dying on a ship in the Navy is a common occurrence so they would have known what was going on before they had to deal with it first hand. They wouldn't all be ordered back to port to help, right?

Like I said in the Fear the Walking Dead thread, depending on how the infection came about originally and what the means of transmission is, there would possibly many cruise, merchant, and navy ships out there that would have been infection free during the initial outbreak. Some of those ships would likely have been warned away but that would only last for so long because all ships, even nuclear carriers and subs, would have to return to port eventually to take on more food. However, carriers and the US Navy's gator fleet would probably have been ordered to return to base to help out depending on how far out they were when things started to go really since both invaluable for helping out in the case of natural disasters and other humanitarian aid situations. Other ships like destroyers, cruisers, and subs that might be operating independently outside of a larger fleet like a Carrier Battle Group or Amphibious Ready Group would probably be told to stay away for as long as possible, probably doing underway replenishments (UnReps) to take on more fuel and food instead of going to port but this would have probably exposed them to infection.

If the horn blowing isn't what solo has in his earlier post. I'm gonna have to guess its the one boy / kid. Can't recall his name, but Rick blew his dad away in the season final. So he lost his father to Rick, lost his kinda girlfriend to Carl. Plus Rick made sure his daddy wasn't buried in the grave yard. Oh and Rick is trying to bang his mom to boot. So yeah, I would hate life too and destroy everyone that ruined my life basically.

My feeling is this... why didn't they just set that whole quarry on fire and burn the zombies out instead of leading them away. I'm sure the rotting flesh has become quite flammable and more so as they age.... like a fine wine! Then they would have had teh biggest bon fire in history and would have been able to lead more zombies into the pit later to roast!

My feeling is this... why didn't they just set that whole quarry on fire and burn the zombies out instead of leading them away. I'm sure the rotting flesh has become quite flammable and more so as they age.... like a fine wine! Then they would have had teh biggest bon fire in history and would have been able to lead more zombies into the pit later to roast!

Rotting flesh isn't flammable, although depending on the decomp condition, there might be flammable gasses about. The real problem is that torching a zombie on this show doesn't seem to actually destroy it. Well, wait. Let me rephrase. It MIGHT destroy it, but we don't really know.

Mostly, I think they didn't do that because they probably lack an effective delivery mechanism to torch ALL of the zombies, and explosives could be unpredictable. Like, they might blow up a whole bunch of zombies, but they might also blow APART some zombies to where they're still crawling torsos. Or worse, they blow up some zombies, but then the trucks fall anyway and they have no other contingency plan to stop the horde.

All things considered, IF things had gone according to plan (ha) the idea Rick came up with isn't a bad one. They basically just need to funnel the zombies away from the community. You can't spend all the time going out to kill walkers. You'll never get them all. You're better off just sending them elsewhere and dealing with stragglers.

Rotting flesh isn't flammable, although depending on the decomp condition, there might be flammable gasses about. The real problem is that torching a zombie on this show doesn't seem to actually destroy it. Well, wait. Let me rephrase. It MIGHT destroy it, but we don't really know.

Mostly, I think they didn't do that because they probably lack an effective delivery mechanism to torch ALL of the zombies, and explosives could be unpredictable. Like, they might blow up a whole bunch of zombies, but they might also blow APART some zombies to where they're still crawling torsos. Or worse, they blow up some zombies, but then the trucks fall anyway and they have no other contingency plan to stop the horde.

All things considered, IF things had gone according to plan (ha) the idea Rick came up with isn't a bad one. They basically just need to funnel the zombies away from the community. You can't spend all the time going out to kill walkers. You'll never get them all. You're better off just sending them elsewhere and dealing with stragglers.

Hey... I bet Darryl could build that big whirling head chopper that Ash made in Army of Darkness... I bet that would definitely make short work of a horde of zombies!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back