The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Maybe my wishful thinking got mixed up with my memory but wasn't it announced that Dragon's Dogma 1 was going to be remastered with co op added?

It really bugs me any time some game related story starts getting a high enough profile that "real journalists" start talking about it. Most of them talk about videogames as being for children. I don't know if they don't do their research or what, but I get tired of tourist journalists barging their way in and screaming about how violent videogames need to be kept from children. Give me a ******** break! It's not like it just happens once, it happens every time they notice some game story. I remember cable news freaking out about a female Shepard being able to "romance" Liara in Mass Effect, and that was 17 years ago! You had 17 freaking years to do research and figure out these are M rated games and are for 18+! My other favorite part of this is reporters then going a step further and insulting the adults who play videogames.

It really bugs me any time some game related story starts getting a high enough profile that "real journalists" start talking about it. Most of them talk about videogames as being for children. I don't know if they don't do their research or what, but I get tired of tourist journalists barging their way in and screaming about how violent videogames need to be kept from children. Give me a ******** break! It's not like it just happens once, it happens every time they notice some game story. I remember cable news freaking out about a female Shepard being able to "romance" Liara in Mass Effect, and that was 17 years ago! You had 17 freaking years to do research and figure out these are M rated games and are for 18+! My other favorite part of this is reporters then going a step further and insulting the adults who play videogames.
There haven't been any real gaming journalists in over a decade. I always go to Youtuber's who share similar game play interests as me or people on other forums I frequent to give me their opinions on games before I will ever take the word of a current day game journo.

So I just finished playing through the original Secret of Mana on the SNES mini.
I see why its considered a classic, but things also felt a bit dated. Other games, like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, which came out not long afterwards, don't feel that dated at all.
It had some cool ideas, and I wasn't expecting the Legend of Zelda type action gameplay at all, but with Final Fantasy type leveling up.
I see that 6 years ago they made a remake, but watched a video that showed it has plenty of issues of its own.
I'm sure with all the mana games to date, they have worked out a lot of the issues over time.
But, I'm glad I finally took the time to try it out, and hope to play the remake eventually.

So I just finished playing through the original Secret of Mana on the SNES mini.
I see why its considered a classic, but things also felt a bit dated. Other games, like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, which came out not long afterwards, don't feel that dated at all.
It had some cool ideas, and I wasn't expecting the Legend of Zelda type action gameplay at all, but with Final Fantasy type leveling up.
I see that 6 years ago they made a remake, but watched a video that showed it has plenty of issues of its own.
I'm sure with all the mana games to date, they have worked out a lot of the issues over time.
But, I'm glad I finally took the time to try it out, and hope to play the remake eventually.
When the new one comes out I'm thinking of doing a playthrough of the whole series.

When the new one comes out I'm thinking of doing a playthrough of the whole series.
Was just looking, and see that theres like 15 of the games. I didn't realize there were so many.

EDIT- I guess some were just the remakes and phone games in the list. Says this new one coming out is technically only the 5th one.

Unfortunately, most gaming news is complete trash and the gaming journalism industry needs a huge overhaul. Its often that the people who arnt good enough to review movies or news do video games so we arnt exactly getting the best.

Unfortunately, gaming has become much more mainstream so more issues are coming out with grifters suddenly also becoming gamers lol. Pretty sure Matt Walsh is trying to jump in on the current Sweet Baby controversy and is mad that gamers arnt listening to him because they remember that he called all gamers man-babies in the not-so-distant past.

But yeah, when it comes to gaming, the talking points are always its only for children and cause violence so should be banned (something that ironically is supported by both sides of the political spectrum). Gaming is also childish and anyone over 12 that still holds a controller needs to grow up. With that kind of messaging, its just easier to tune out.

There is only one gaming news site that has stayed true. Good old bluesnews.com. Besides that noclip youtube channel(created by ex gamespot journo) has the best documentaries on game development.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back