The Ultimate Marty McFly Jean Jacket Lining Thread

Small update because I'm obsessed:

I've gotten the resolution of the main source image high enough that a replica could be sketched directly from it...BUT we still have some gaps in the pattern. So, I've started to fill in what we can't see with reference images.

These are all as close as can be found, and match up with the edges of lining drawings, so even if these aren't the right reference images, they are as close as we can expect to get to them without some sort of new reference becoming available.

Check it out:

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 3.36.11 PM.png

-Nick

Apparently this went from "Group Research Project" to "Nick's Passion Project" but no worries, I'm going to keep on trucking. In fact, I have an update!

My paisley fabric samples just came in and look EXACTLY how I wanted them to! The background is a light off-white that without Here are a few quick shots of it to show it off:

No Flash:
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 5.30.50 PM.png

Flash:
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 5.31.19 PM.png

Simulating a cuff:
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 5.31.30 PM.png

If you view the images in a low resolution, it actually looks JUST like the splotchy blurs that appear on screen, so I'm fairly confident that this is as accurate a paisley as anyone can make with the current references available.

If you want your own Fusion Industries Fashion "Jumping Ship" Paisley, you can grab it on Spoonflower:

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/4748204

Hope to see some people using this to make their jackets MUCH more accurate!

-Nick

Last edited:
Apparently this went from "Group Research Project" to "Nick's Passion Project" but no worries, I'm going to keep on trucking.

Yeah, sorry about that! It's just that, with this old house we're renovating, I barely have the time to move threads around, let alone contribute. Hoping it'll be easier in a few months, with winter coming on. But it seems like you're doing great anyway! The paisley looks awesome too! :thumbsup

Thanks! I made them from screenshots and Google photos, put them black & white with contrast, then a sketch effect, a 30% Sepia tone, and finally a 2% distortion to make it look more natural and vintage looking.

Well I went with a yard of basic cotton ultra. I will post pictures of my Headgoonie jacket once I get the liner replaced.

Well I went with a yard of basic cotton ultra. I will post pictures of my Headgoonie jacket once I get the liner replaced.

Sorry, I missed this. (#Life) Basic cotton ultra is what I was testing on, so it would have been my choice as well. It has the best balance of smoothness (needed for a liner) and ruggedness. (needed for a jean jacket)

Mitas, I'm going to shoot you a PM in a minute. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Nick

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed this. (#Life) Basic cotton ultra is what I was testing on, so it would have been my choice as well. It has the best balance of smoothness (needed for a liner) and ruggedness. (needed for a jean jacket)

Mitas, I'm going to shoot you a PM in a minute. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Nick

I am excited as well. Once I am done I will message Miki Ooyago with pictures of the jacket along with personal input in hopes that he incorporates the changes I've made in an updated jacket. It would probably be years if looking at their record of coming out with updated clothes, but it will be worth it if it helps the community have a better prop. The biggest issue I am facing though is getting another jacket for spare fabric as I did not have enough the first time for the collar. I've gotten 3 jackets from ebay so far and none of them match. All in the life of a prop maker lol.

Today I am sewing up the bottom elastic waist to seal it up since I shorted it myself. I have access to a sewing machine in the aircraft hangar I work in. I also have a snap button press there to make the button screen accurate.

The biggest issue I am facing though is getting another jacket for spare fabric as I did not have enough the first time for the collar. I've gotten 3 jackets from ebay so far and none of them match. All in the life of a prop maker lol.

Have you tried taking a piece to thrift stores to try to match the color and wear? You might just happen to find something from the right time, but the wrong brand, that might match...but yeah, we are a strange bunch. haha

Today I am sewing up the bottom elastic waist to seal it up since I shorted it myself. I have access to a sewing machine in the aircraft hangar I work in. I also have a snap button press there to make the button screen accurate.

That last sentence is music to my ears! That's the level of commitment I would expect from a guy as devoted to this jacket as you.

-Nick

Have you tried taking a piece to thrift stores to try to match the color and wear? You might just happen to find something from the right time, but the wrong brand, that might match...but yeah, we are a strange bunch. haha

That last sentence is music to my ears! That's the level of commitment I would expect from a guy as devoted to this jacket as you.

-Nick

I feel like for the sake of the fandom that a truly accurate jacket needs to exist. The only thing that would make it perfect would be if the triangles were smaller, but I can't do anything about that. Under them there is just dark blue and there's no way of making it match the stonewashed areas without industrial chemicals.

So since we prop makers are never happy I realized that the inner parts of the jacket where the dark blue denim still is needs to be like the outside, so I will try to look for a jacket with the same color to replace those pieces.

This photo is so close, it's sad:

b2509d5708bbe340ef4bd53857698834.jpg

Correct actors, correct pose... but definitely not this photo. The lining has Bacalls more usual hairstlye. Bugger.

Just noticed... Bacall normally parted her hair on the other side, so the image in the lining is actually a mirror-image of whatever it's based on, most likely.

I feel like half a decade is long enough to wait for an update. Let’s do this!

So I’ve made a few discoveries along the way since posting this thread. Some shared with small numbers of people, some not shared at all. Here’s what I found as of 3 weeks ago.

First things first, let’s remind ourselves what this looks like (with the best composite image from various source, most of which are extremely low res.

73CA61BF-5AD8-47E7-955D-6030C186D6A4.png

The first thing to note is a number of years ago I noticed that you could see the back of Bacall’s head in MJF’s armpit, meaning that is where the pocket section is originally cut from on the pattern. This was originally shared with just one other person.

More recently, I discovered that her chin is actually visible in the small sliver of fabric visible in front of the pocket. (This has never been shared with anyone) Here’s a diagram that shows off the edges used to match this. This means that you can now create a vertically repeating pattern based on this!

330507D4-9CC4-4582-8506-B78105DADC2C.png

Using this composite I was also able to identify two additional faces in the lining, both women, outlined below:

38D10AEF-BF55-4716-856F-2C4AB11E4083.png

And now for a fun one, the image I dubbed “the green scream queen” who I theorized might be Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz is actually: Ginger Rogers in Top Hat.

All of these images are loosely based on actual images and shots from the movies but none match exactly. It’s likely this was done for a combination of artistic license, to make the pattern repeat cleanly, and to avoid any potential rights issues.

I’ve got some more BTTF info I’ll be dropping in the next week or so. But hopefully you all enjoy what I spent the entirety of my early 30’s researching. Haha

Last edited:
While I’m necro posting, I’ve also been working on a brand new paisley over the last few months based on close up images, slight AI enhancements of them to bring out the details, as well as historical paisley.

I’m now happy to call this over 98% accurate, and think we’d need to find the actual source fabric to make it any better.

14395027-A9F1-4648-B004-642029633B9B.jpeg

F1047AE2-7639-4C87-A506-34F5C5AB8ADA.jpeg

This thread continues to just be Nick’s dumping ground for obsession. Lol

Stunned silence from the crowd? How about another new finding for the linings!

We’ve long since known that the inner left was celeb with a paisley pocket but the size of the pocket was though to tell and the orientation of the celebrity lining was a total mystery.

142D08F5-88E9-4619-B149-1663B5A6BDC1.jpeg

This was the best view we had showing the size of the pocket.

CB159A58-E702-4E61-9DB7-09B7EC0646EC.jpeg

And this was one of the best images we had of the left hand lining.

Not anymore…

CCE64EB6-D7DD-49C1-8C32-5F89C632B4CF.jpeg

Not only can you see how tall the paisley pocket is (it can be easily scaled based on the checks on his shirt), BUT just in front of that pocket is the upside down face of Marilyn Monroe!

We now know exactly what BOTH sides looked like and what orientation they were placed in.

…not bad for a necropost on an 8 year old thread, huh?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back