The Toys That Made Us (Netflix)

It’s called The Toys That Made Us, not The Toys That Are Currently For Sale. Yeah, there’s lots of great Trek stuff out there now but that’s not what the shows about. It’s about the toys that came out during that time period, and you may not like it but most of them were crap.

The AA/DST toys for Enterprise and Nemesis came out during the show's production i.e. "during that time period" so they could have been included.
Star Trek isn't just TOS, the majority of fans today would be in the TNG-ENT bracket, so the Toys that Made Them would be those that came out during the 80s and 90s, possibly early to mid 2000s too. Granted the show was mostly focused on talking to fans in their 50s so the toys that made them would be the 70s junk. It was a missed opportunity to interview fans in their 20s and 30s, who would have had nostalgia for the wider range of Trek toys.

The AA/DST toys for Enterprise and Nemesis came out during the show's production i.e. "during that time period" so they could have been included.
Star Trek isn't just TOS, the majority of fans today would be in the TNG-ENT bracket, so the Toys that Made Them would be those that came out during the 80s and 90s, possibly early to mid 2000s too. Granted the show was mostly focused on talking to fans in their 50s so the toys that made them would be the 70s junk. It was a missed opportunity to interview fans in their 20s and 30s, who would have had nostalgia for the wider range of Trek toys.

Disagree entirely.

Diamond Select wasn’t even founded until 1999.

Toys from that line would have no business being in the show, as they clearly aren’t from the era the entire series is focused on.

That would be like having a documentary about classic muscle cars that suddenly throws a mid-2000s Mustang Cobra or something into it.

I didn’t care for the derisive commentary comparing Trek to Star Wars in the Trek episode. Comments like the following were peppered throughout the doc:

“[Star Wars’] little ginger-haired cousin Star Trek...”

Otherwise, I enjoyed the episode; good stuff.

Last edited:
Disagree entirely.

Diamond Select wasn’t even founded until 1999.

Toys from that line would have no business being in the show, as they clearly aren’t from the era the entire series is focused on.

That would be like having a documentary about classic muscle cars that suddenly throws a mid-2000s Mustang Cobra or something into it.

Where does it state that the show can't feature younger fans who would have grown up in the late 90s and early 2000s who played with those Playmates and DST toys and would be in their 20s now? Because those would be the toys that made them.
Sure the show maybe targeted at a certain demographic, but that demographic isn't explicitly stated in the show's title. It isn't called the Toys That Made Us... who were born in the 50s and 60s.

Where does it state that the show can't feature younger fans who would have grown up in the late 90s and early 2000s who played with those Playmates and DST toys and would be in their 20s now? Because those would be the toys that made them.
Sure the show maybe targeted at a certain demographic, but that demographic isn't explicitly stated in the show's title. It isn't called the Toys That Made Us... who were born in the 50s and 60s.

It doesn’t state that...but it doesn’t need to, because it’s a documentary about a certain era of toys, which is clear based on...well, everything about the show...from the toys that have been covered to even the aesthetic and design of the intro.

Much in the same way a documentary about WWII doesn’t need to explicitly state that it’s NOT about the 1960s. You just know what it’s about.

I would even argue that the Diamond Select products you’re complaining were left out were less toys, and more collectibles. I mean, are kids playing with their $50 static statues? Doubtful.

To be honest, you come across as you’re complaining just to complain.

The show was VERY clearly targeted at a certain era of toys. That era was not the 2000s.

Last edited:
Much in the same way a documentary about WWII doesn’t need to explicitly state that it’s NOT about the 1960s. You just know what it’s about.
So if a general documentary about WW2 only focused on the Normandy landings that would be a fair representation of the entire 1939-1945 global conflict?

I would even argue that the Diamond Select products you’re complaining were left out were less toys, and more collectibles. I mean, are kids playing with their $50 static statues? Doubtful.
I think you are forgetting the Nemesis and Enterprise line of action figures. I also mentioned the Playmates line of figures which certainly weren't static statues.

To be honest, you come across as you’re complaining just to complain.
Constructive criticism of a narrowly focused documentary isn't complaining. The whole Star Trek episode of the Toys That Made Us didn't exactly have a positive angle.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back