Spaceman - Netflix

Just watched it. Not sure what I just sat through but I am pretty sure it was a waist of film. Just boring and weird......
Came on here Friday night to post exactly this.. didn’t see a thread for it and didn’t want to start one lol

Right there with ya buddy… don’t really know what I watched or what was real..

Had to look up the reviews to figure out the “comment on the human condition” that a good story is supposed to tell. Especially the ending that came at a rapid fire pace. Found the sadness experienced by the spaceman during his mission and that of his pregnant wife rather painful to watch. Sure liked the spider who played a fantastic shrink.

Had to look up the reviews to figure out the “comment on the human condition” that a good story is supposed to tell. Especially the ending that came at a rapid fire pace. Found the sadness experienced by the spaceman during his mission and that of his pregnant wife rather painful to watch. Sure liked the spider who played a fantastic shrink.
The spiders calm voice scared the hell out of me

Well, I watched it. With some trepidation since I have zero interest in anything else Sandler has done. And it turned out he did a perfectly fine job.

I went in knowing nothing about it, which I'm glad for since the advertising really dents the surprise.

minor spoilers

Overall I enjoyed it. It's slow, and measured. And it's nice to have something that's not relentlessly grim and depressing and miserable about the state of the world, even if it's not particularly cheerful given its focus on a crumbling relationship. I don't need to watch dystopian fiction much anymore, when the world is rapidly become dystopian! The whole parallel universe setting, where a barely post-Communist Czechoslovakia has become a spacefaring power, was interesting, as was the post Cold War vibe to the sets.

It wasn't a masterpiece. It was ultimately yet another Ageing White Dude Angsting in Space, with everyone else secondary to the tale. Carey Mulligan was excellent as always, but the two decade age gap is of course creepy, and though the action moved to her fairly often she wasn't presented as a narrative equal. And although a Czech story there were basically no actual Czech actors there or anything. But on the whole, it was a pleasant diversion with some interesting effects. Sort of surprising it got greenlit, but good on them for doing so.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back