The Time-Turner Page

I see that tinsel too, I believe that is anti-theft, not part of the actual prop.

Oh, and guess who's email I just got?!

Miraphora Mina, the designer.
I'm hoping that if I pose as just an adoring fan looking for some "fun facts" about it she'll slip some info or pics!

Black Market Magi is correct, at least one Time-Turner was engraved. and NOT painted. Unless we can get a definitive answer as to which option is better, or what was actually used on the shoot for the scene, I think it makes sense to offer both and let people decide. I can also FOR REAL THIS TIME confirm that the first pic is NOT in fact from ComicCon.
EW Full.jpg View attachment 58038

I'm going to sleep, see you all tomorrow... productive day on the RPF!

Now I'm awake!

Last edited:
I did props for movies and TV shows for a couple of decades - and whenever we made anything that had engraved text, we'd usually have to darken it up for camera. With regular engraving you lose detail if it's being hit with a lot of straight-on light, so the standard solution was to paint it with some black or dark brown acrylic paint and then wipe it off so it only stays down in the engravings. Much better than printing on metal - since printing can scratch off or look slightly raised (and look like cheesy printing) if seen in extreme close-ups. Getting metal items engraved is actually not all that expensive or difficult for a good engraver these days - there's a lot of really accurate, high-tech ways of doing it. Advice: get/make multiples of all the parts that need engraving, and have the engraving done on the rings before you assemble anything - just in case they mess it up. And see if you can find a jewelry shop with someone who likes Harry Potter and you'll have a better chance of getting it done right. :)

I did props for movies and TV shows for a couple of decades - and whenever we made anything that had engraved text, we'd usually have to darken it up for camera. With regular engraving you lose detail if it's being hit with a lot of straight-on light, so the standard solution was to paint it with some black or dark brown acrylic paint and then wipe it off so it only stays down in the engravings. Much better than printing on metal - since printing can scratch off or look slightly raised (and look like cheesy printing) if seen in extreme close-ups. Getting metal items engraved is actually not all that expensive or difficult for a good engraver these days - there's a lot of really accurate, high-tech ways of doing it. Advice: get/make multiples of all the parts that need engraving, and have the engraving done on the rings before you assemble anything - just in case they mess it up. And see if you can find a jewelry shop with someone who likes Harry Potter and you'll have a better chance of getting it done right. :)

Thats a really good idea about the paint for the engraving, but because we have pictures of the "real" prop both with and without the paint I think I will let whoever buys decide for themselves. I know engraving isn't that difficult anymore, so I'm not worried about that. I've just begun preliminary talks with a Jeweler today, PROGRESS!

TO EVERYONE: OUR NEXT VENTURE IS SIZE!
Anyone who has any reference pics for the size, please share.

Last edited:
Is the noble one the correct size? Or should (for those who want to buy a noble one and switch out the plate) use the noble size?

Is the noble one the correct size? Or should (for those who want to buy a noble one and switch out the plate) use the noble size?

Well we've got no reason to believe that Noble's is the wrong size except for the fact that noble often goes out of thier way to make things wrong. As we've got no reference as to the size right now, an because of the "switch the star plate" thing, I have a feeling we will use Noble's size. If, however we do get a size reference I may decide to go with that.

Is the hourglass piece in the middle a "found" item? Also the chain and the details (finials) might be jewelry pieces that are available - not custom made. I don't know a whole lot about this piece, so forgive me if I'm speculating about something that's been solved long ago.

Plus, talk about ignorant noobs, until last month I had never seen any of the Harry Potter films (still haven't read any of the books). Watching them now in sequence, and just finished watching THE GOBLET OF FIRE... Really looking forward to the rest of them. Thanks to my wife, I'm now a convert. Way better than I'd expected. :)

Is the hourglass piece in the middle a "found" item? Also the chain and the details (finials) might be jewelry pieces that are available - not custom made. I don't know a whole lot about this piece, so forgive me if I'm speculating about something that's been solved long ago.

If buy "found" you mean I know where to buy one, than no, but I have a feeling this may have to be made for the time turner. The chain should be relatively easy to match.

Text on the side:
Based on all the pictures I have seen, this seems like the most likely organization of the text on the side of the time turner.
View attachment 58099
It reads,
"I mark the hours, every one
nor have I yet outrun the sun
my use and value, unto you
is gauged by what you have to do"

Thanks to Phelyx for the star plate.

No by "found" they mean something that was not custom made. Something they found somewhere else and used to make this with. I would actually want to switch plates on the japanese one since the chain connection is on the wrong side on the noble, plus it was my idea :)

I agree with Phelx, I build props for a living and I darkened the engraving on my Japanese one using an antiquing solution. It makes a major difference.

No by "found" they mean something that was not custom made. Something they found somewhere else and used to make this with. I would actually want to switch plates on the japanese one since the chain connection is on the wrong side on the noble, plus it was my idea :)

I agree with Phelx, I build props for a living and I darkened the engraving on my Japanese one using an antiquing solution. It makes a major difference.

Well as I don't have the Japanese version, you'll have to provide me with measurements...

Text on the side:
Based on all the pictures I have seen, this seems like the most likely organization of the text on the side of the time turner.
View attachment 58099
It reads,
"I mark the hours, every one
nor have I yet outrun the sun
my use and value, unto you
is gauged by what you have to do"

Thanks to Phelyx for the star plate.

I can definitely send measurements, until then...
I just compared the design you laid out to the japanese version and there are some differences. Was that based of the noble version?

Differences:
1 The Jversion uses the symbol for "and" instead of the actual word
2 The chain is connected between the words mark/the and every/one, not in the middle of a word.
3 Each side of the ring is printed upside down compared to the opposite side, not sure the noble one does this.

The chain is so people know from what angle we are looking at the time turner, not to represent where the word breaks are, sorry if that was confusing.

Response to differences:
1. Noble's does in fact use the and symbol, I just did a bit of a sloppy job
2. That's what I was thinking, but as Noble's has a different line of the poem there I wasn't sure if it would fit
3. I didn't even think about upside-downness, again sloppy job, I will need to think of a way to represent in a picture all the info, which is so hard to gather as the rings spin and change order...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back