The Star Trek question thread

Now look what you have done!

I despised these when they came out and gave Jimmy and Walter a rash of chit about doing them, so I'm feeling punchy right now and am going to put in The Lorelei Signal

Yes, I've noticed that repetition on the animation. So I'm not binge watching them. Maybe an episode or two a week. I might step up the pace. Just watched The Lorelei Signal, and it was the best of the first few I've seen. I liked it. Not just because of all the hot blondes, but because the episode had an interesting story and some good tension. Plus, to circle back to your point, lots of fresh animation.

The Wook

The biggest problem (I think) with the Animated Series is just the overuse of the same animation over and over and over again. I realize it was due to budget constraints, but if you watch several in a row the repetition of shots becomes laughable. But to give it its credit, some of the episodes are very well written.

Also that Majel and James did every friggin guest voice, and Majel never even bothers to try to sound like someone else. :)

Would have loved to see them do the sequel to this, Capt. Kirk and the Buck Naked Soul Sucking Amazon Women.

Loved the hot cartoon blonde babes and the fact that Uhura got to be in Command.

Had to watch Yesteryear while I was at it I named my Samoyed Al chaiya after Spocks, now excuse me I have to break out the Strat and Wah pedal!

Lol I bet is was the "hot blondes" reference.

The biggest problem (I think) with the Animated Series is just the overuse of the same animation over and over and over again. I realize it was due to budget constraints, but if you watch several in a row the repetition of shots becomes laughable. But to give it its credit, some of the episodes are very well written.

It's not just TAS that reused the same things over and over again. If you binge watch almost any TV series you begin to notice the same shots being used over and over again to the point you can almost guess which one they are going to use in a given situation. When you watch a show 1 episode per week you don't recognize this but when you watch 10 or so in a day it becomes very recognizable.

Filmation in particular, though, is notorious for that. Once a movement was animated, it would be retraced for other characters, episode to episode, show to show. They animate a cougar pouncing for Tarzan, and the same movements are still showing up with Battle Cat in He-Man a decade later.

Hey TOS fans!

If you were gonna recommend a TOS episode for someone to watch, who's never seen a TOS episode before (or any ST eps or films, for that matter), which one would you recommend they watch? I've got such a friend, and I can't decide which ep to suggest. Obviously, I want it to be a really good one, to hopefully get my friend hooked, or at least interested. But I don't want to suggest my all-time favorite one or two episodes, out of concern that if more eps are subsequently watched, there might be a let down. Know what I mean?

Here are a couple I've disqualified:

* Mirror, Mirror: It is my #1 favorite. In addition to the reason I stated above, I also wouldn't want that to be the first ep someone watched because I think it's really helpful to know the characters before seeing it.

* The City on the Edge of Forever: This ranks #2 on my list. But again, in addition to the reason I stated above, I also wouldn't want it to be the first ep someone watches because so little of it takes place on the Enterprise, and therefore, I don't think it would give an accurate impression of the series overall.

So, given the loose criteria I've laid out, what are some good choices for a person's first viewing?

Thanks!

The Wook

ps~My friend is skeptical, so I'll have one shot at this, to pique their interest. lol

The Enemy Within: good overview of the relationships, some genuinely tense dramatic moments and (two!) great performances by Shatner.

Space Seed: another good look at some of the major character relationships plus Ricardo Montalban owns almost every scene he's in.

The Naked Time: has a little bit of everything including some good humorous moments and my all time favorite drunk rendition of "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen."

And, so far, I've never met anybody who didn't enjoy The Wrath of Khan.

I DVR'd the Voyager episodes Future's End because I haven't seen them for awhile. Anyway in the episode a Federation Time Ship from the 29th Century tries to destroy Voyager because they think they caused the destruction of the solar system there. Then at the end another Time Ship flies in, and with the timeline restored they say they detected Voyager in the 20th century and came to bring it back. It's a cool episode, but when they do something like that they make a problem for older episodes. If these guys are monitoring the timeline in the future, where were they in The Voyage Home when Kirk went back to the 80s? Obviously it's because they hadn't thought of it then, but it messes up the earlier stories in a way.

Balance of Terror
The Ultimate Computer

These are both solid episodes but aren't too "Trekie" if that makes sense.

The Enemy Within: good overview of the relationships, some genuinely tense dramatic moments and (two!) great performances by Shatner.

Space Seed: another good look at some of the major character relationships plus Ricardo Montalban owns almost every scene he's in.

The Naked Time: has a little bit of everything including some good humorous moments and my all time favorite drunk rendition of "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen."

And, so far, I've never met anybody who didn't enjoy The Wrath of Khan.

Thanks, gentlemen, excellent suggestions. Space Seed is too good, I think. It's my #3 all-time. I'm gonna go with Balance of Terror. It's one of my favorites, but not quite in the top 3. There's a riveting tension in the episode, from start to finish, that should hold anyone's interest.

Much obliged.

The Wook

Roddenberry wanted to air "The Corbomite Maneuver" first because he felt it was the best representation of the series. Unfortunately the effects took too long to complete so they went with "The Man Trap".

Say, you fellas need to back off my Kathryn. Captain Janeway is my favorite captain in the franchise...after TOS Kirk, of course. I might even like her better than movie Kirk.

The Wook

I never missed Voyager on it's run and it's been great catching up on it again on BBC America.
Mulgrew did a great job. She projected command presence with elegance.

I hated Voyager the first time around, be rewatched a lot of it this last year on Netflix and found it's strong episdoes to be as good as TNG.

Roddenberry wanted to air "The Corbomite Maneuver" first because he felt it was the best representation of the series. Unfortunately the effects took too long to complete so they went with "The Man Trap".

That episode for me also is a major touchstone of the series, of all of Star Trek.

KIRK: Captain to crew. Those of you who have served for long on this vessel have encountered alien lifeforms. You know the greatest danger facing us is ourselves, an irrational fear of the unknown. But there's no such thing as the unknown, only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood. In most cases we have found that intelligence capable of a civilisation is capable of understanding peaceful gestures. Surely a lifeform advanced enough for space travel is advanced enough to eventually understand our motives. All decks stand by. Captain out.

Last edited by a moderator:
That may have been Justman's edict, but it was partially after the fact, and largely ignored besides.
What he wanted might be one thing, but what ended up on screen wins canon. There are more onscreen examples supporting different insignia than there are the alternative.

Not sure if this was the thread, but in one of these people were talking about the different Starfleet insignia for each ship. Apparently that's not the case. Check out this story: http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-trek-apocrypha-major-canon-facts-that-were-silently-ignored

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back