The Shaun of the Dead "I Got Wood" Shirt

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This shirt has had me baffled since I decided to make it. The color always looked so drastically different in the various shots throughout the film. I was never sure if it was a light tan tee, or more of a khacki color.

With the help of MonsterCollector (who was able to obtain the REAL screen used, blood splattered tee) I think I finally got it right....here is the shirt in an indoor photo:

And a screenshot, outdoors:

My version outdoors:

My version indoors:

Let me know what you guys think. Opinions welcome.

-Ss

I think the original picture and wording is a bit larger than what you've got. The image extends horizontially beyond the collar a bit more.

I'm being nit-picky. It looks great.

-G

<div class='quotetop'>(Paradox @ Jun 20 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]1264615[/snapback]</div>
I think the original picture and wording is a bit larger than what you've got. The image extends horizontially beyond the collar a bit more.
[/b]

Taking another look... I think Paradox is correct. There isn't much of a size difference, but the screen used logo is slightly larger.

The shirt I photographed is a 3XL and I have it stretched way out with tape on the back to keep wrinkles out of it for the photo. I think the actor would be closer to an XL or 2XL in size (just a guess) so the logo was originally made proportionate to that scale.

I'll take another pic tonight of a 2XL, with the shirt layed out on the floor and see what you guys think :)

-Ss

Artwork should be much larger. Beyond that I cant really say because its hard to see in the pic. I am assuming this was on purpose to prevent people from copying it. There is such a vast difference between your inside/outside shots. To be honest, your outside shot looks like mine sitting in front of me inside.

Is there some kind of shading on the trees of the screen used shirt? Behind the letters? The screen used looks more 3D. Or is it my eyes? :wacko

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ Jun 23 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]1266754[/snapback]</div>
Is there some kind of shading on the trees of the screen used shirt? Behind the letters? The screen used looks more 3D. Or is it my eyes? :wacko
[/b]

I've wondered that too, but it does not seem to be apparent in the shots in the outdoor light. If it IS some sort of shading then the original was probably not silkscreened, it would almost have to be some sort of heat transfer. Maybe MonsterCollector can chime in and comment on that, I'll send him a PM.

-Ss

They were hand-cut iron on transfers

Im not sure about the shading. I dont remember seeing any but I can check tonight. I only remember very subtle shading inthe trees to simulate depth.

honestly, youve done a great job with the artwork and I can imagine anyone getting much closer to the original. The only thing noticeable would be the ground on the right of the design. Other than that youre pretty much spot-on.

The two big differences I see, and they ain't all that big by the way, are the bottoms by the trees, as was pointed out, and the shading on the letters. It looks darker on the screen used shirt.

looks like the lettering on the screenused also ahs some wood grain, that i dont see on yours, but it could just be the lighting as to why i dont see any on yours.

<div class='quotetop'>(BigJoe88 @ Jun 24 2006, 02:59 AM) [snapback]1267064[/snapback]</div>
looks like the lettering on the screenused also ahs some wood grain, that i dont see on yours, but it could just be the lighting as to why i dont see any on yours.
[/b]

That is true. The letters were made to have a 3D effect.

<div class='quotetop'>(BigJoe88 @ Jun 23 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]1267064[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

It's actually there, and the lighting just does not bring it out. The wood grain accents are all part of the font itself.

-Ss

This was on HBO last night so I decided to watch it again. I'm thinking maybe the color is something along the lines of taupe. It's one of those odd colors that can look either gray or khaki depending on the lighting.

Just a thought.

-Fred

The shirt is khacki, made by fruit of the loom. The actual color of the screen used shirt was the same as what I am now using for my blank shirt, I confirmed this with MonsterCollector before he sold his screen used tee.

In the film the shirt looks so much different in lit outdoor scenes compared to the shots indoors, that's why I took my shirt and photographed it indoors and outdoors, to show how it also looks so different.

Next time I do a run of the shirts I'll make the minor changes to the artwork and we should be good to go. Thanks again to everyone here for your feedback.. :):thumbsup

-Ss

This may just be my eyes, but it looks like the space between the right of the D and the tree, is alittle too large. Other than that and the ground being alittle too big it looks great.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back