The Rocketeer on Blu-ray!!!

Technically, Disney Archives paid for the clean up process and everything....All Disney Home video did was put it on dvd and sell it

I will end up buying it when it comes out, but I am tremendously disappointed that the dvd will have no special features especially for a 20th anniversary disc.

Even if this disc sells really well, I doubt they will come out with a disc anytime soon with extras on it......

Yeah, I still tend to think of Disney as a single entity most of the time even though I'm sure it's technically more like an octopus and the divisions are just the many arms.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me why the bill for the clean-up would come from the archives rather than from the home video branch - just internal politics/priorities I suppose.

Regardless, I'm glad somebody paid for it. The lack of extras is definitely a huge disappointment and putting "anniversary edition" is kind of insulting given that.

Dave told me he and Joe offered to buy back the film at one point so they could do something with it but Disney refused.

Dave told me he and Joe offered to buy back the film at one point so they could do something with it but Disney refused.

Ouch. The only reason that I could think of why Disney would refuse that is if they still had hope for this film. But this lackluster release (SINGLE LAYER!) really reminds me of what the three guys greats said during their "This Is Spinal Tap!" commentary when they tried to use their characters again from the studio. I think it was something like.

"We're not in the business of lending. We're in the business of acquiring."

I guess if you're going to bring bring an idea to a studio and the studio wants to make it into a movie, you better be prepared to kiss that movie good bye.

The Archives is continually preserving (which is different from restoring) their materials. Sometimes people get excited when they learn the Archives is working on a title (like Song of the South recently), thinking it means there is a video release imminent, but it is often not the case. That department is just in the business of making sure company assets are protected, regardless of any intended use on the table.

In fact, the reverse might be happening: the home video department finds out they preserved The Rocketeer, and figures, hey, good time to get a HD master made.

Anybody have these YouTube links? I did a search but didn't find anything "DVD extra-y" except Excitement in the Air.

Man, why did I have to choose to be a hardcore fan of Disney owned film? Ugh.

At least IDW is able to make some nice Rocketeer books and comic tributes...

Well, so far so good.

I'm about 20 mins in, and the transfer looks pretty good.

I'm not sure, but maybe the DVD I have is cut, as I sear there are small pieces that are on this Blu-ray that aren't on my DVD.

Anyways, I'm enjoying it so far.

Edit: Done now.

Thoroughly enjoyed it....again.

The transfer looked good to me, so I count this as money well spent.

Last edited:
The Archives is continually preserving (which is different from restoring) their materials. Sometimes people get excited when they learn the Archives is working on a title (like Song of the South recently), thinking it means there is a video release imminent, but it is often not the case. That department is just in the business of making sure company assets are protected, regardless of any intended use on the table.

In fact, the reverse might be happening: the home video department finds out they preserved The Rocketeer, and figures, hey, good time to get a HD master made.

This actually sounds like a plausable reason why the release is lax on extras.
Never say never, but if they didn't pull out all the stops for the 20th anniversary it may be a while - if at all - we get anything better.
Take what you can get.

I got this blu ray for Christmas but haven't had time for a viewing until last night.
I watched it with a lady friend of mine who has never seen the movie - so I was double excited; seeing it in remastered, 1080p AND with someone who will be experiencing it for the first time.
I have to say, I was very impressed and completely enjoyed the viewing and even welled up on a certain spot in the movie that just brings back the little kid in me.

Maybe one day we can get some special features.

My Blu-Ray copy finally arrived yesterday, watched it last night with my girlfriend who had never seen it. I was very pleased with the quality. Definitely a huge improvement over the DVD release, fantastic picture, awesome sound, everything was just great. And it's still of course an AWESOME film. Anyone who doesn't already own this on Blu-Ray should definitely pick it up!

I finally got around to watching mine last night as well. Looked and sounded great! It's just too bad about the complete lack of bonus features.

The closest we'll see to a Rocketeer sequel will be in the comics.

The first mini-series of new Rocketeer tales was just collected in "Rocketeer Adventures", published by IDW.

It doesn't help things that Dave Stevens, creator of the character died a while back, too.

However, The Rocketeer lives on in reprints of his original comics and the follow-up series by IDW.

I bought this about a month ago to replace my DVD. The film looks great. I couldn't believe Walmart had it marked down to $10 already so I couldn't pass it up.

Best part - NO PREVIEWS!!!

No ads for the Blu-ray format you're already watching, no anti-pirating propaganda, nothing but jetpacks and zeppelins

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back