DUNE: PROPHECY on MAX

Cool trailer.

However, having actually read the "10,000 years in the past" prequels, I remain...wary.

I have a hunch that, much like the difference between Frank Herbert's original novels and his son Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson's novels, this will have a similar difference between the show and Denis Villeneuve's films. And that difference, I suspect, is that the spin-off is really just a generic sci-fi romp within the universe, with no greater significance, while the films and Herbert's original novel are actually making really important points. One is sort of entertaining but self-indulgent, and the other is the best that science fiction has to offer.

Totally agree. How I feel reminds me of Patton Oswalt's monologue on the idea of George Lucas trying to get him excited about the Prequel Trilogy.

(Worth a listen on YouTube if you haven't checked it out. NSFW language.)

Totally agree. How I feel reminds me of Patton Oswalt's monologue on the idea of George Lucas trying to get him excited about the Prequel Trilogy.

(Worth a listen on YouTube if you haven't checked it out. NSFW language.)
Oh, I know that one. "And then you get to see him as a little kid!"

Oh, I know that one. "And then you get to see him as a little kid!"

Yep! And the punchline..."Do you like Angelina Jolie? Well here's......." ;)

The money grabs try to recapture the previous magic with poor copies..
  • I never cared to see Anakin as a little kid.
  • I never cared to see Boba Fett as a little kid.
  • I never cared to see the Death Star as it's being conceived and built.
  • I never cared to see Luke and Leia as children.
  • I never thought, "Star Wars needs more comedy relief."

also...
  • I never cared to see S.H.I.E.L.D. without the Avengers.
  • I never cared to see Gotham without Batman.
  • I never cared to see Terminators without Schwarzenegger.
  • I never cared to see the Continental without John Wick.
  • I never cared to see graboids without Kevin Bacon.
  • I never cared to see a Borg queen of zombies.
  • I never cared to see 32,768 Doctors.
  • I never cared to see Superman without his moral core.
  • The list goes on and on...

so...
  • I don't care to see the foundations of the Bene Gesserit.

and...
  • I don't care to see Gollum without a Baggins.
  • I don't care to see Sauron when he was young and hot.

and...
  • I don't care to see Morgan Elsbeth or Barriss without Ahsoka and/or Mando.
All those things that we were given, without us really caring in the first place, dilute their respective brands with pale reflections for a mere cash grab.

There are exceptions (for example Joker), but those are rare and notable.

(sorry for all the edits!)

Last edited:
Yep! And the punchline..."Do you like Angelina Jolie? Well here's......." ;)

The money grabs try to recapture the previous magic with poor copies..
  • I never cared to see Anakin as a little kid.
  • I never cared to see Boba Fett as a little kid.
  • I never cared to see the Death Star as it's being conceived and built.
  • I never cared to see Luke and Leia as children.
  • I never thought, "Star Wars needs more comedy relief."

also...
  • I never cared to see S.H.I.E.L.D. without the Avengers.
  • I never cared to see Gotham without Batman.
  • I never cared to see Terminators without Schwarzenegger.
  • I never cared to see the Continental without John Wick.
  • I never cared to see graboids without Kevin Bacon.
  • I never cared to see a Borg queen of zombies.
  • I never cared to see 32,768 Doctors.
  • I never cared to see Superman without his moral core.
  • The list goes on and on...

so...
  • I don't care to see the foundations of the Bene Gesserit.

and...
  • I don't care to see Gollum without a Baggins.
  • I don't care to see Sauron when he was young and hot.

and...
  • I don't care to see Morgan Elsbeth or Barriss without Ahsoka and/or Mando.
All those things that we were given, without us really caring in the first place, dilute their respective brands with pale reflections for a mere cash grab.

There are exceptions (for example Joker), but those are rare and notable.

(sorry for all the edits!)
I have somewhat different tastes, but I get what you're saying.

Anakin and/or Fett as a kid? Pass. Death Star's conception and building? Could be interesting, depending on what else happens in the story. Luke and Leia as kids? Again, depends HEAVILY on what else is in the story. I enjoyed Obi-Wan, personally, but I went in with super low expectations. Star Wars needing comic relief? No, there's a good balance of humor of a specific style, and action/drama. It's a range, rather than a precise value, but I know when it's gone too far.

SHIELD without the Avengers I actually really enjoyed. Doubly so with Peggy Carter. What I disliked was how after a while it seemed like the continuities didn't work together anymore.

Gotham without Batman? Never watched it. No interest. Gotham Knights might've been ok, but at only one season, I don't see a reason to bother. Terminators w/o Ahnold? Now this I'm down for, because terminators are a concept, not a person. I really dug the Sarah Connor chronicles. Continental without John Wick? Eh, I saw the first Wick film and thought it was...fine. I started the 2nd one and decided "This is really kinda dumb" and then bailed on the whole thing. Borg Queen of Zombies? Dunno. Haven't watched Picard yet, but I'm not so wedded to the character that I wouldn't give it a chance. 32,768 Doctors? This one doesn't bother me. The show's been running so long and with so many different iterations that I think you just kinda learn to roll with it. To me, what's way more impactful is the showrunner. I can't stand Moffat as show-runner, but he's great as a one-off writer. JNT had a LOT of missteps, but there are also a lot of good elements in that era. Would've loved to see Cartmel pull off his grand vision, but oh well. Superman w/o his moral code, though, yeah, pass on that...up to a point. I think Man of Steel is both good and bad. Bad in that the destruction becomes numbing after a while. Good in that Superman killing Zod, I thought, really hit hard and you felt his anguish at having his hand forced. To me, that's retaining your moral code, but also paying a price. Butthat's debatable.

Gollum w/o Baggins -- I don't care about with/without characters. I care more about with/without a STORY. Gollum as based on a lost post-it note from Tolkein? Nah. Pass. Sauron as young and hot, well...I'm ok with that if it hews to the actual story, and that story's told well.

Morgan Elsbeth or Barris w/o Ahsoka/Mando, I'm ok with in theory. But that's more because for me, Star Wars is a setting and I love just being in the setting and seeing that setting expand and treat characters as more than just plot devices.

Ok…back to Dune. Kind of looks like they’re going for a Dune meets Game of Thrones thing. Definitely leaning into the Villeneuve aesthetic. You would think that would have changed in 10,000 years. The Brian Herbert books are uneven at best, so we’ll see. I always found the Bene Gesserit the least interesting faction. Give me The Guild, damnit!!!!

I really enjoyed both the recent Dune movies, and would likely watch anything associated with them. Having said that, I don’t think this is the premise I expected for a spin-off show. As mentioned above, I really would have liked some Guild narrative or the great houses, compared to the sisterhood.

Also, did this entire production fly under the radar or what? I had not heard anything about it.

Ok…back to Dune. Kind of looks like they’re going for a Dune meets Game of Thrones thing. Definitely leaning into the Villeneuve aesthetic. You would think that would have changed in 10,000 years. The Brian Herbert books are uneven at best, so we’ll see. I always found the Bene Gesserit the least interesting faction. Give me The Guild, damnit!!!!
So, I would imagine you'll see some of that in this show. Any story really needs a POV character to serve as audience surrogate or at least to be the audience's window into the world. They could do multiple POV characters, but that risks getting super confusion (which has always been an issue for the Dune stuff anyway). The Bene Geserit thing makes sense, I think, in that it's much more grounded and human than something like the Guild, which gets more techie oriented and kind of inhuman. In a show like this, the Bene Geserit can play off against the Guild, and use that distinction between them to help drive the story (i.e., the BG are more human, the Guild are less so and as they mutate from spice, they lose touch with humanity).

Another thing that may come into play here is that this is clearly the era after the Butlerian Jihad/Machine Crusade/Formation of the empire era in those books, but the organizations are still kinda just getting off the ground. The books briefly touch on the Guild's creation (although as I dimly recall, Norma Cenva, whose mother was a BG rev. mother ends up being the progenitor of the Guild herself, so there's at least some connection btw the two). Anyway, I think we're dealing with an era that hasn't yet been shown.

It's absolutely a Game of Thrones style show, though. At least based on the trailer.
I really enjoyed both the recent Dune movies, and would likely watch anything associated with them. Having said that, I don’t think this is the premise I expected for a spin-off show. As mentioned above, I really would have liked some Guild narrative or the great houses, compared to the sisterhood.

Also, did this entire production fly under the radar or what? I had not heard anything about it.
Yeah, this came as a complete surprise to me.

I suspect this will be entertaining in a "Isn't this an interesting setting? Let's explore more!" kind of way, but I question whether it'll have the depth and messages of the Villeneuve films or Herbert's books.

They changed the title pretty late in development, as it was originally called The Sisterhood instead of Prophecy. I had to check and make sure this wasn't a separate series after seeing the new title.

They changed the title pretty late in development, as it was originally called The Sisterhood instead of Prophecy. I had to check and make sure this wasn't a separate series after seeing the new title.
Presumably it'll get a little more into the concept of the Kwizats Haderach, which kinda makes sense, but also seemed to be kind of missing from the Villeneuve films. I mean, it was there, but it wasn't clear that the desire to create (and control) this figure was what drove the Sisterhood for its entire existence.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back