The Rocketeer on Blu-ray!!!

In the early 2000s, Dave Stevens produced a release with tons of extras, and Disney never pulled the trigger on it. Too bad those efforts couldn't have been revived.

It's just depressing to know there are "extras" out there left to collect dust somewhere.
This is one of the most underrated movies in cinematic history.

I have a lot of the orignial Rocketeer comics before it became a movie. It's nice that it did actually become a film, and the film was very close to the comic version and Dave Stevens was there throughout during production.

I was lucky enough to get to briefly meet Dave at a signing. He autographed my movie version comic before the original movie release. (Frank Miller showed up while I was in line and asked if he could open up my sealed 3D Rocketeer Comic - and he put on the 3D glasses to check out the comic book!!!!)

I think it's the stigma that's been following it as not a successful movie (financially) thus only releasing it to pander to the "few" fans out there.
:darnkids

In 1991 it would have been really hard to compete with Terminator 2 at the box office, but I think Rocketeer did ok at the time.

Its funny though, the Rocketeer's final battle scene with the Nazis is at the Griffith Observatory. Its the same location where the Terminator teleports to 1984 in the first movie.

Well, I heard from a little birdie that Disney actually handed over a TON of extras to Disney Home Video and was turned down since some of it was already posted on Youtube or other sites. AND that Disney Home Video basically "took" the copy that was shown at the D23 event, which was paid for by D23 I believe and not Disney Home Video.

Disney just REALLY doesn't want The Rocketeer to succeed... boooo!!!!

- Jeff

Even though I think that birdie is a "******", im happy he told you the information. I seriously would had been extremely disappointed to find out on release day it had no extras. I'm fortunate to own several deleted scenes, interviews, and actor test screening lines, but it isnt enough. :(

I have this love hate relationship with Disney

I'm buying this one... and upgrade later if one with better features appear. Won't risk not buying and then sending the signal to the studio idiots that no one wants the movie, so they won't bother with something better. a-hole money-grapping schemers.

as long as the transfer is good, which i hear it is, i'm happy. it would have been nice to have some behind the scenes docs, though.

I'm buying this one... and upgrade later if one with better features appear. Won't risk not buying and then sending the signal to the studio idiots that no one wants the movie, so they won't bother with something better. a-hole money-grapping schemers.

If Disney neglected to do something special for the 20th anniversery edition, I doubt we will see anything else come down the pike for at least ten more years.
It really is a crying shame.

Actually, thanks to youtube all I really care about is are there 50 previews smashed in ahead of the feature. No mention of it on either of the reviews I've seen so I'm crossing my fingers.

Actually, thanks to youtube all I really care about is are there 50 previews smashed in ahead of the feature. No mention of it on either of the reviews I've seen so I'm crossing my fingers.
Of course there will be it's Disney. They'll be sure to include the several-minute promo for Blu-Ray....on this Blu-Ray disc. :rolleyes

I really don't want to reward some suit by buying this on release day. Only the trailer on this "anniversary" disc is inexcusable. I need to dig up my Brush with Passion but someone here should post Dave Stevens exact words on the extras he was putting together for a previous anniversary DVD release that Disney passed on. I just can't believe they have the nerve to call this Blu-ray an anniversary release and only give us the trailer as an extra. Disney did a really good TRON 20th Anniversary DVD so I don't get the lack of interest in Rocketeer. Especially when the creator was working on extra materials for a DVD.

Well, I heard from a little birdie that Disney actually handed over a TON of extras to Disney Home Video and was turned down since some of it was already posted on Youtube or other sites. AND that Disney Home Video basically "took" the copy that was shown at the D23 event, which was paid for by D23 I believe and not Disney Home Video.

Disney just REALLY doesn't want The Rocketeer to succeed... boooo!!!!

- Jeff

I hate myself for being so desperate for Rocketeer goodness that I'll go out and buy a bare-bones BR. But it'll have to do.

Hey, we've become spoiled by extras. Having the flick in 1080 is still a treat.

That's true. Like the other fans, I'm disappointed there aren't any extras but I can't NOT buy this - it's an HD version. The value for the screen-caps alone will be worth it.

It's sort of a glass half-full kinda thing I guess. Even though Disney continues its treatment of the Rocketeer as their red-headed stepchild, I AM still glad they bothered to clean it up and release it all.

Now I've just gotta get a good mac-compatible blu-ray drive and some software to screen-cap it with because I want a LOT of screen-caps.

I AM still glad they bothered to clean it up and release it all.

Technically, Disney Archives paid for the clean up process and everything....All Disney Home video did was put it on dvd and sell it

I will end up buying it when it comes out, but I am tremendously disappointed that the dvd will have no special features especially for a 20th anniversary disc.

Even if this disc sells really well, I doubt they will come out with a disc anytime soon with extras on it......

It's funny how some movies get such lackluster extras and other movies get a whole boatload of them. For instance, never in my entire life would I have seen a Special Edition of Blue Thunder come jam packed with a whole boat load of features that really told a cool story in how the film was made.

I wonder if Joe Johnston just doesn't care about the Rocketeer anymore. He's certainly the kind of director who does commentary tracks (Captain America), but when it comes to movies that disappoint him in some ways (Jurassic Park III), he doesn't provide commentaries for them.

The only otehr director who's treats special features in a weird way is Christopher Nolan. His critically acclaimed yet modestly successful films do include a commentary track by him, but when it comes to his big monster hits, he's a no show.

I wonder if Joe Johnston just doesn't care about the Rocketeer anymore.

He still cares. In an interview in late June (while promoting Captain America), he mentioned how he would love to make a sequel to the Rocketeer and to re-explore Cliff Secord's world

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back