The Phantom Menace Re-Release May 2024

The wife and I saw it Friday night at LDA with three hundred of our closest friends.
I haven’t seen it in close to twenty years, because I was not the target audience back in the day. If I had been ten or twelve this would have sent me over the moon but I was an adult and was rather disappointed.
To me it went nowhere in developing Anakin. It had story issues, editing issues, and pretty much didn’t need to exist.
And on rewatching it I had forgotten exactly how much cringe is in it, and even a wee bit of trimming here and there could have fixed a lot of it.
To those who grew up on the prequels and loved them, I am slightly envious. To those who grew up on the prequels and had the same reaction to the Disney sequels, see?

Yeah ill admit in a big loud theater, JarJar was even harder to stand than I remember. Maybe its being an adult now. And other than a few small moments, that first half just draaaaaaaaags.

Got out about an hour ago. Probably about 10 in the theater.
So I can say I like it better than the Disney films, but its definitely on a lower level than the 3 original ones.
I think if George had gotten someone else to direct them, and helped with the script and dialog, it would have made them all much better.
A lot of this movie was going from point A, to B, and getting to the end point....just some of the parts felt to long getting there.
CGI wise, for the time of the late 90s, theres a lot thats actually pretty good. Other parts, might not match the real filmed footage quite enough, but overall, I can still appreciate what they did.
The pod race is still fun to watch, even if it goes on for quite a bit of time.
The projector did not have any of the pixelated look, but some of the edges had a bit of the blurred look. Reminds me of using a wide angle lens on an old camera I had back then, and the look it gave off.
Still glad I was able to watch it in theaters again.

Got out about an hour ago. Probably about 10 in the theater.
So I can say I like it better than the Disney films, but its definitely on a lower level than the 3 original ones.
I think if George had gotten someone else to direct them, and helped with the script and dialog, it would have made them all much better.
A lot of this movie was going from point A, to B, and getting to the end point....just some of the parts felt to long getting there.
CGI wise, for the time of the late 90s, theres a lot thats actually pretty good. Other parts, might not match the real filmed footage quite enough, but overall, I can still appreciate what they did.
The pod race is still fun to watch, even if it goes on for quite a bit of time.
The projector did not have any of the pixelated look, but some of the edges had a bit of the blurred look. Reminds me of using a wide angle lens on an old camera I had back then, and the look it gave off.
Still glad I was able to watch it in theaters again.

I think TPM is easily the best-looking prequel. It doesn't look too CGI'd. They still had more tangible sets and the CGI seemed to get the full 100% effort.

The 35mm film helped too. AOTC and ROTS were done on digital. The resolution was something really low like 1080.

Even at the time I remember thinking it was stupid to record Ep#2-3 at such a low rate. Umm, George, didn't you just spend millions of dollars to improve the OT film negatives a few years earlier? You know, those old 35mm prints that were equivalent to 4k resolution at worst?

I think TPM is easily the best-looking prequel. It doesn't look too CGI'd. They still had more tangible sets and the CGI seemed to get the full 100% effort.

The 35mm film helped too. AOTC and ROTS were done on digital. The resolution was something really low like 1080.

Even at the time I remember thinking it was stupid to record Ep#2-3 at such a low rate. Umm, George, didn't you just spend millions of dollars to improve the OT film negatives a few years earlier? You know, those old 35mm prints that were equivalent to 4k resolution at worst?
Yeah. Seeing the digital cameras they were using, I was totally sure that they were recording at a much higher rate. I later on found that it was at 1080. Surprised it looked as good as it did on a big screen.
Making all the clone trooper cgi only was an odd choice, as some scenes just looked pretty video gameish, even back then. I guess in three years for Ep. II's 25th, we'll see how it looks.

I always thought this shot towards the end was the most odd and badly created one. I at first thought they were looking out a window. Like, is the building facing down?
But, you can see its suppose to be a screen, its just odd looking still. Even the Armored Assault Tanks look badly composted into the scene compared to others.

weirdshot.jpg

We went to our preferred theater last night for the movie, and there were maybe 20 people there, which I thought was a surprising amount for a Monday 6:30pm showing. A couple small groups of very apparent nerds, and then some individuals. Many were talking pretty loud before the movie and even during the previews, but were completely quiet for the film!
AAA29219-5A43-4E10-A0C0-B1FFF0F1D189.jpeg

For something that is 25 years old, I think it has aged really well. The first part of the film, pretty much everything up to encountering Jar Jar, is some of the most solid Star Wars you can find. Naboo is still beautiful. The droid forces are still an excellent design. The podrace is a great idea, and perhaps drags overall, but it was unlike anything seen before. Coruscant in all of its glory seems so big and overwhelming, with the Jedi council feeling cold and unwavering, perhaps not unlike Anikan’s point of view. The final battle, combing an all out war on the ground, a space battle above, and a perfectly choreographed lightsaber battle still brought me excitement all these years later. And the costumes are amazing. Seeing the detail on the Nemoidians’ robes, the Queens wardrobe and everything in between…Just an excellent execution.

The more critical takeaways are that Jar Jar should have stayed practical. You can see in a few scenes were people are interacting with him directly and their line of sight goes right past the CGI model. He should have also been toned down. You can barely understand half of his lines and he has too many antics. Anakin should have never been a little boy. As a slave, he could have been 15-18, a little more rough around the edges, and sore about the world around him and his inability to escape it. That would have helped introduce his future wife into being interested in him, as she would have probably never encountered anyone like that before in her upbringing. The Padme switching back and forth as Queen Amidala seems like it is still lost on the audience. I think a casual viewer would think Padme and the Queen are two separate people. I was going to quiz my wife and see what she thought too.

Speaking of Padme, she is still my crush apparently. When I was 10, I thought she was so cute. At 33, I still think she is cute. She has command and leadership. She is cunning and wise. She navigates difficult situations and conversation with directness. And she’s cute. Did I mention that? Her smile when she is in the peasant disguise still makes me have that crush. I had honestly forgotten.

Overall, My wife and I agreed that we both enjoy the film more now than we did as kids. As a kid, I liked each movie as they came out. After the prequels were done being released, I probably would have ranked TPM the lowest. Now, in adulthood, I think TPM is probably the best of them. It’s not overran by CGI, it’s a good introduction to a completely new era, and I can compare it to the absolute trash sequel trilogy that is absolutely a dumpster fire. Looking at the elegance of this film (and the OT) and comparing it to those ST movies, you’d have no idea it was even the same franchise.

I do wonder if Disney does an even worse set of films post-ST, will that make me like the ST more? Judging a 2/10 to a 1/10 or something like that…

I always thought this shot towards the end was the most odd and badly created one. I at first thought they were looking out a window. Like, is the building facing down?
But, you can see its suppose to be a screen, its just odd looking still. Even the Armored Assault Tanks look badly composted into the scene compared to others.

View attachment 1817785
Never picked up on this

View attachment 1817785
I never thought anything of it because I knew it was a view screen.

I was just reading about Ahmed Best. Knowing he went through a pretty bad hardship because of the backlash of Jar Jar.
I think he did the best he could do. His dialog was probably the most wacky from any character out there, and he was pretty difficult to understand, like he had a rag over his mouth while recording his lines.
I think if George had toned him down and made him easier to understand what he was saying, if wouldn't have been as hated.
Looks like Ahmed is doing much better now, which is good.

I was just reading about Ahmed Best. Knowing he went through a pretty bad hardship because of the backlash of Jar Jar.
I think he did the best he could do. His dialog was probably the most wacky from any character out there, and he was pretty difficult to understand, like he had a rag over his mouth while recording his lines.
I think if George had toned him down and made him easier to understand what he was saying, if wouldn't have been as hated.

Yeah I never understood why people crap on actors for issues with the scirpt/director/etc. As if Ahmed was the reason why Jar-Jar existed and not George.

I don't blame George for rolling the dice on Jar-Jar at all. He took a risk and it didn't pay off that time. (He took an enormous risk and practically bet the franchise on Yoda in 1980, but that one worked.) But it would have been smarter to dial back Jar-Jar's screen time & mannerisms a bit since the public's reaction was not known yet. They didn't need to have Jar-Jar in full goofy mode every single time he was on the screen.

Another forgotten fact is that Jar-Jar did have fans among some of the young kids. His toy figure was a pretty big seller IIRC. The character was not a crash & burn so much as a love-him-or-hate-him. But the haters were the bigger group.

Of course Jar-Jar's biggest problem is that the public made him a whipping boy for the broader gripes about the whole movie. Like the Ewoks in ROTJ and Rose Tico in TLJ. It's pretty much a tradition in the franchise that certain characters get hazed.

I had totally forgot, but my first roommates from 2001 - 03, well, they were huge Star Wars fans like myself. Their Dad, probably just the casual fan, he mostly just loved movies. There was a Movie Gallery rental place down the street from him, so he was always there renting something. So I'm pretty sure, if I'm remembering correctly, they had some kind of contest where you could win a life sized Jar Jar statue. And what do you know, he won. We had no room for it, and he decided might as well sell it to make some money. They had a big outside garage, but covered work area, and the giant Jar Jar was there in the corner before he did sell it.
Heres a google search of how it looked. Anyone remember that contest?
Jarjar.jpg

I still have the original theatrical cut on DVD, and if I watch TPM, I watch that. Pustule-laiden Yoda and all. I think I've seen TPM twice more in theaters over the last 25 years, and every subsequent time, they add more of to the movie it feels like. That's the last thing this movie needs! The reason why moments feel longer than they already do is likely because more b-roll was added back into the movie. I know for a fact that my later viewings of the podrace is not the same that I saw in 1999.

I wondered if there weren’t some added scenes to the podrace. I didn’t remember a few shots, and a couple others throughout the film. The only other one that comes to mind is Eeth Koth looking over at Depa Billaba. I don’t remember ever seeing that in the Jedi Temple.

Actors are only as strong as what the director is telling them to do.. I think it’s funny how all these years later Hayden is a HUGE celeb now, I remember the internet hate back when ep3 came out..

Terrible how we can treat one another.. anyway, I always defended him back then when people were saying he was a terrible actor.. I’d say “go watch awake” “life is a house”

Then you’ll realize it’s not always the actor..

We see this same nasty behavior with that poor chick from ep8.. in which they then basically nerf’ed her in ep9…

It I was the actress and didn’t have a contract for ep9 I would have told production to go f themselves.. “yeah we want you back, but you have one line about how your busy researching star destroyers”

…directors and writers..

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about them extending the Pod Race for the DVD.
While not needed, at least its a fast paced scene that is entertaining.
Its when they add stuff to scenes that are already slow and doesn't really need anything else, then it just feels like too much.

I remembered this easter egg on the DVD. That was fun to watch back in teh day.

Actors are only as strong as what the director is telling them to do.. I think it’s funny how all these years later Hayden is a HUGE celeb now, I remember the internet hate back when ep3 came out..

Terrible how we can treat one another.. anyway, I always defended him back then when people were saying he was a terrible actor.. I’d say “go watch awake” “life is a house”

Then you’ll realize it’s not always the actor..

We see this same nasty behavior with that poor chick from ep8.. in which they then basically nerf’ed her in ep9…

It I was the actress and didn’t have a contract for ep9 I would have told production to go f themselves.. “yeah we want you back, but you have one line about how your busy researching star destroyers”

…directors and writers..
Yep. Its stupid that people go after actors like that.
I totally agree that he can act pretty good, but there were lines where pretty much all of them said some line in an odd weird way, to which George should have totally had them redo it, but did not.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back