"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

My wife subscribes to Hulu, but I don’t like using it. Call me a creature of habit I guess, but I like watching my shows on my DVR, where I can pause them and switch to live TV without having to switch to a different source and stuff like that.

I also am one that actually enjoys the weekly experience...knowing I’ll watch a show on a certain night is nice. With streaming I always end up watching multiple episodes at once then have nothing to look forward to.

I’ll still watch it, but I’m not sure that this move is for the best.

Well, looks like I'm out. I don't have Hulu. Unless, like someone stated before, it comes with Disney+. Because I will be getting that. Or until the next season shows up on VuDu.

The move to Hulu doesn't matter to me since that's how I've been watching it anyway. However, I do hope that means Hulu won't drop episodes after a certain amount of time as they seem to be doing now with other shows. It shouldn't matter since I normally watch it the day after it airs on FOX which is the first day on Hulu but I don't like the idea of missing the premier and not finding out until after Hulu drops the first episode or two and I'll have to track them down elsewhere, somehow, or just start from whatever the first episode they have is.

If I watch the new season I will have to do it like I did the first season of Star Trek: Discovery. For that I signed up and binged the season during the one week free period. I still have not tried to see season two so I won't be surprised if I keep putting off seeing Orville.

If I watch the new season I will have to do it like I did the first season of Star Trek: Discovery. For that I signed up and binged the season during the one week free period. I still have not tried to see season two so I won't be surprised if I keep putting off seeing Orville.

I'm not sure you'll be able to do that because Hulu has changed the way they do things and they no longer keep all of the episodes of a show online and available to watch. So, by the time the season is over you might only have half of the season (or less) available to you because all of the other previous episodes have since expired and are no longer available. However, I don't if this is something that they're doing with all shows, including their own, or just shows not their own.

I see Scott Grimes and Adreinne are getting divorced already after two months of marriage. That should bode well for the show. Halston left because of stuff like this and the show hasn't been the same without her. Which one will end up leaving now I wonder? (if any).

As much as some people might think it is cute if stars of a show hook up you have the problem of what happens if things don't work out as we saw with Halston and Seth. A lot of people who work together, and not just in entertainment, are a lot better off as friends rather than lovers.

Can you DVR stuff on Hulu?

I have no idea, I don't have a DVR, but I assume not because you have to first start Hulu then go into your que, then select the show you want to watch. A lot of steps so it might not work with a DVR. But it used to be that you wouldn't need a DVR with Hulu since they used keep every episode of a given show "online" which made a DVR unnecessary. However, as I've said before, I don't know if the limited number of episodes available thing applies to Hulu shows or not.

I have no idea, I don't have a DVR, but I assume not because you have to first start Hulu then go into your que, then select the show you want to watch. A lot of steps so it might not work with a DVR. But it used to be that you wouldn't need a DVR with Hulu since they used keep every episode of a given show "online" which made a DVR unnecessary. However, as I've said before, I don't know if the limited number of episodes available thing applies to Hulu shows or not.

If you sign up for Hulu Live, you do get 50 hours of DVR. You can upgrade that to 200 hours for a small fee. About the only thing I've bothered to DVR though have been baseball games. But it would be handy to record local news or specials that are good for one time only.

If you sign up for Hulu Live, you do get 50 hours of DVR. You can upgrade that to 200 hours for a small fee. About the only thing I've bothered to DVR though have been baseball games. But it would be handy to record local news or specials that are good for one time only.

That's good to know, I guess that's why they've gone to the new format then, to sell people on Hulu Live.

That's good to know, I guess that's why they've gone to the new format then, to sell people on Hulu Live.
Seth MacFarlane has said a few times on Twitter that one of the primary reasons for moving to Hulu was that they now have the freedom to tell a story without time constraints. If the story takes 37 minutes to tell, they don't have to do filler. If it's a 68 minutes story, they get the time to tell that and don't have to cut things. The only advantage to Hulu Live really is that you get local channels included, and that's why I went with it.

By new format I didn't mean The Orville moving to Hulu but to Hulu offering Live and no longer offering unlimited episodes of every season of a show.

As far as Live itself goes, I like the DVR function but that's it since I watch all of my broadcast TV shows the day after it airs on Hulu. The only difference now is that I have to make sure that I don't wait too long before watching the latest episode.

And that's dumb if it applies to everything.

The whole point of streaming was that it was a central database and you could watch what you want when you want to. What are your options is it clips off the first half of the season before you get around to seeing it? Wait for DVD and buy it? So i'm 3 weeks late and need to wait 8 months for the disk?

Hell, using that concept i'd have missed a lot of stuff i really liked. First year of daredevil, the expanse, number of british shows from netflix and prime, etc.

Not sure what the benefit to clipping off episodes is. Sounds more like a detriment to the bottom line than anything else.

And that's dumb if it applies to everything.

The whole point of streaming was that it was a central database and you could watch what you want when you want to. What are your options is it clips off the first half of the season before you get around to seeing it? Wait for DVD and buy it? So i'm 3 weeks late and need to wait 8 months for the disk?

Hell, using that concept i'd have missed a lot of stuff i really liked. First year of daredevil, the expanse, number of british shows from netflix and prime, etc.

Not sure what the benefit to clipping off episodes is. Sounds more like a detriment to the bottom line than anything else.
As if I said before, I don't know if this applies only to network TV shows or all shows including theirs. My guess is that it's only for network/basic cable shows and the reason seems to be to upsell people on their Hulu Live option which includes a DVR.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back