"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Looks fantastic. This upbeat, positive, fun show is the Next Gen Trek I used to enjoy in the 90's...

So in the trailer there's a line

"lieutenant, give us a little more"

"Yes sir, dumbing it down"

Pretty obvious audio cut there... sooooo...

Placing bets...In the actual episode, without the trailer edit, what show, or actor is he taking a shot at?

"Give us a little more _________"

Last edited:
Looks fantastic. This upbeat, positive, fun show is the Next Gen Trek I used to enjoy in the 90's...

So in the trailer there's a line

"lieutenant, give us a little more"

Pretty obvious audio cut there... sooooo...

Placing bets...In the actual episode, without the trailer edit, what show, or actor is he taking a shot at?

"Give us a little more _________"

I would not automatically assume it's a show or actor he's taking a shot at.

I would not automatically assume it's a show or actor he's taking a shot at.

He's definitely been clipped... I'm just curious what he wants a little more of, that is code word for "dumbing it down".

They've referenced this era's pop culture many times on the show...

"Let's give it a little more 'Micheal Bay'"

(not likely... but you see where I'm going...)

He's definitely been clipped... I'm just curious what he wants a little more of, that is code word for "dumbing it down".

They've referenced this era's pop culture many times on the show...

I'm not denying there could be a dump (though I didn't particularly notice it). I'm just saying that there is a literal WORLD of things he could be using a code for "dumb it down" that don't necessarily pertain to shows or actors.

I'm not denying there could be a dump (though I didn't particularly notice it). I'm just saying that there is a literal WORLD of things he could be using a code for "dumb it down" that don't necessarily pertain to shows or actors.

Agreed... Just havin fun.

I spend all day clipping and cutting together different audio takes... so when I hear it, it jumps out at me... immediately I thought "more what?... what wasn't funny enough - or so funny they want to wait until the series - to put in the full line..."

I could be completely wrong as well though.

post-football scheduling is what got Futurama canceled the first time :(

and Family Guy

They didn't realize the audience they had until people started buying the DVDs and the success of the reruns on Adult Swim

The ratings on Fox tanked since no one felt like tuning in only to see a football game running late, or not even knowing when the next show was going to be on

They could have chosen to air it on a night that has nothing to do with football but they are not doing that. We all know Fox is going to mess this up somehow, it is just a matter of time. For those of you who watched Bones they were on every night of the week at multiple times even during the same season. I don't know how it lasted 11 seasons being moved around like that.

Hello folks, and a big thanks to the board for allowing me in. As Groucho Marx allegedly said, "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member", but here I am. I'm not really a big fan of the 'cosplay read-all-the-books nitpick-every-continuity-error know-the-actors-shoe-size' type, just a 65 year-old kid with a 90 year-old body. I placed this here because I couldn't find a section on this board that is titled "Introduce yourself", or whatever, as some other boards have. Anyhooooo...

Found this board while looking for info on costumes for The Orville, and the thread by member 'Shipbrook' came up in my search. And then I found this thread. And I will echo what a lot of others have said: Great show! Not being the geek/nerd type, I simply went into it hoping for something fresh (at least to me), and found it from minute one. Like every character, and every episode so far. I'm not an 'artsy' guy either, I just like to be entertained, and The Orville certainly does that.

So, some thoughts -

Larry Joe Campbell; why was his character written out? I quite liked the guy, and thought it had potential for a lot of growth. He seems like a 'larger than life'[ person, even though his physical stature is only about my height, 5' 8". Hope they can find a way to work him back in, even if only some guest episodes.

Claire Finn, Penny Johnson Jerald; Wow! Liked her in ST:DS9, but didn't find her all that physically attractive. But she seems to be one of those women who gets sexier as they get older, and she's really doing it for me now. Okay, it's a sexist observation, but it's born of a few million years of evolution and a few hours of beer and scotch. No offence intended.

Yaphit: Making Odo loveable since 2017! Well, I also liked Odo, but this is a quirky take on the standard sci-fi blob.

Bortus: When I saw that fat naked butt squatting on a nest I almost lost it, and knew that this show wasn't afraid to push the boundaries. A classic scene right there, and totally visual, no dialogue needed.

Killer endings: 'Pria' and 'Krill' were devastatingly good. The way she just winks out while Mercer watches as if it's the most normal thing in the universe, fully knowing that it would probably happen. And Telling Mercer that he has just bred a new generation of enemies is such a blatant parallel to the current world situation that it just cant get any clearer. If anyone watching didn't get that, they probably couldn't find a voting booth with a map and someone to lead them. [/end_political_statement]

Now I'm going to admit to possibly breaking my cosplay statement earlier. Went to Fan Expo in Toronto today, and was stunned that I saw nobody wearing anything from The Orville. I expected that it would take off quickly, but nada. So I really want to redress that lack of representation. If I can pull off Yaphit that would be a dream, but might take too much work, so a basic crew uniform will probably have to do.

And I like the idea of calling fans the Wilburs, but since there may be a sister ship named that it might be premature.

It certainly seems that the show has won over the skeptics, and has a bright future. And if it serves to finally show the general public that SF and comedy are not incompatible, despite many other endeavours already showing that to SF fans, well, it's done its job.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, for those who are saying that the "rescuer" didn't seem like a big enough threat to warrant being stabbed: I'd like to point out that you are all dudes.

As a woman, there is nothing that the Doctor did that I would do any different in her place. She was being held captive with little to no explanation of why. She had two children out there that she didn't know if they were alive or dead, and she had no idea if the guardian who was looking after them was still functional. She did what she had to do to get away from a guy who had made absolutely no attempt to clarify his intentions toward her so she could find her kids and her crew mate.

Yup, totally agree. I have no idea what struggles women face, but I know enough to say that I would take no chances. And I would go to the ends of the Earth to protect my children.

I placed this here because I couldn't find a section on this board that is titled "Introduce yourself", or whatever, as some other boards

Hi Rat, the "introduce yourself " thread is located at the top of the replica prop thread in the top section.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=83912&page=523

A Mod might move this but as your post mostly pertains to The Orville it'll probably stay here so you may wish to pop into the other thread to announce your presence.

Welcome to the board, get stuck in and enjoy yourself. Its a great place to be.... even if Groucho wouldnt be too pleased about being letting in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back