The Orca - Jaws - 1:15 scale

Thanks a lot! Yeah... I hate to say it, I was mostly interested in doing the model so I could do the interior... lol.
Definitely check out Erik Hollander's build. It puts mine to shame. I can't fathom how he made it so clean.

You should 100% do one. I would be happy to help out with some print files for the bits I already modelled.

Pat Trittles plans are not a bad starting point, but I suggest you do some googling into some of the other plans out there... likely more accurate.

I got a good look through your thread. This is really amazing and well thought out. I see your repeatedly unsure on your ship building skills being your first but look what you achieved!

As for wanting to do the interior there's nothing wrong with that... and again it is perfect.

If you have any suggestions for other plans would be great. I see you deviated from your plans quite early on. If you get bored one day perhaps you could post up some basic measurements of your own

And that is a very kind offer to help with some print files. I haven't gotten into 3d printing yet although my cousin has and has offered me a few times I can borrow it for a play. Otherwise I could pay a 3rd party to print pieces. Either way thank you and I might have to seriously look at doing this soon.

Oh love the ingenuity of cut up rubber bands in the chum buckets!

Cheers,
Josh

Beautiful build, the details are amazing! I love the thread too, I need to document my builds better, even if just for myself. I wonder if I can ask your advice please? I'm in the early stages of an Orca build and I'm struggling to get the red hull colour right. It was apparently 'burgundy' on the real Orca but this is misleading me into mixing too dark and too cold a colour. On screen it's much warmer almost looks like a dark red-orange. Do you remember what you used?
Thanks,
Rob

I got a good look through your thread. This is really amazing and well thought out. I see your repeatedly unsure on your ship building skills being your first but look what you achieved!

As for wanting to do the interior there's nothing wrong with that... and again it is perfect.

If you have any suggestions for other plans would be great. I see you deviated from your plans quite early on. If you get bored one day perhaps you could post up some basic measurements of your own

And that is a very kind offer to help with some print files. I haven't gotten into 3d printing yet although my cousin has and has offered me a few times I can borrow it for a play. Otherwise I could pay a 3rd party to print pieces. Either way thank you and I might have to seriously look at doing this soon.

Oh love the ingenuity of cut up rubber bands in the chum buckets!

Cheers,
Josh
Thank you kindly. Sorry for late reply. Laid up with serious back issues. Curse of the modeller from being hunched over the work table all the time.

I might see if I can draw up some plan modifications, but I don't know that I kept good enough records. I did a lot of it live, on the day, eye balling it, though if someone had Pat Trittles plans, I would happily walk them through what I did differently on the hull.

The Cabin and flying bridge.. I don't even really know how I did it. I just grabbed balsa, super glue, a saw, and forced it into existence.

Beautiful build, the details are amazing! I love the thread too, I need to document my builds better, even if just for myself. I wonder if I can ask your advice please? I'm in the early stages of an Orca build and I'm struggling to get the red hull colour right. It was apparently 'burgundy' on the real Orca but this is misleading me into mixing too dark and too cold a colour. On screen it's much warmer almost looks like a dark red-orange. Do you remember what you used?
Thanks,
Rob
Hey man! Thank you! I do the build logs as a way of keeping myself in check. I know I'm gonna have show every stupid decision to people at the end, so it kind of holds me to account from taking any REALLY gross shortcuts. Gotta seem at least a little like I know what I'm doing ;)

As for the paint, your wish is my command. Here are the paints I used.
I got the recommendation from the gentleman who runs the facebook page 'The Orca Model'. He was very helpful over the whole build, and just a good all-round guy. Sells nice Quint statues too.

See the attached file for the off-white and hull-red I used.

Attachments

• IMG_7269.jpeg
    IMG_7269.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
Hey man! Thank you! I do the build logs as a way of keeping myself in check. I know I'm gonna have show every stupid decision to people at the end, so it kind of holds me to account from taking any REALLY gross shortcuts. Gotta seem at least a little like I know what I'm doing ;)

As for the paint, your wish is my command. Here are the paints I used.
I got the recommendation from the gentleman who runs the facebook page 'The Orca Model'. He was very helpful over the whole build, and just a good all-round guy. Sells nice Quint statues too.

See the attached file for the off-white and hull-red I used.
Thanks so much dude, that's helpful.

I was searching for Jaws props on the internet and saw a shot of what seems to be this kit (but with a shark cage haning off the port side) and the text said this was going to be a kit. When I clicked on the link, I was required to join the site to have access. I did see the RPF symbol though.
Please someone, tell me this will be a kit.

Hello again.

Might this ever be a kit? I swear I saw a flyer online advertising this as a kit. The flyer was attached to pinterest or some other like site that you had to join. Like I said though, I saw the RPF symbol in some text so searched here.

Again,,,,,, will this ever be a kit? I would love one.

Hey Lowelker -

I believe the kit is no longer made (it was sold years back but I can't remember by whom)... and likely cross promoted on RPF which is why you're seeing the watermark on the images. That said, the kit was inaccurate in many ways. There are models such as Erik Hollander's out there that sort of stand head and shoulders above all other ORCA models out there. You may look around eBay for a second hat kit version.

Or... start one from scratch! :)

I was searching for Jaws props on the internet and saw a shot of what seems to be this kit (but with a shark cage haning off the port side) and the text said this was going to be a kit. When I clicked on the link, I was required to join the site to have access. I did see the RPF symbol though.
Please someone, tell me this will be a kit.
Yeah, I saw that years ago. I don't think anything came of it, unfortunately, hence, making one from scratch. I feel like a kit would sell well, so I am sure there is some license issue.
Beyond that, there is just SO MUCH STUFF to make for it, perhaps making a good kit is simply cost-prohibitive.
I've seen scratch-built ones like mine going for $5000ish US on ebay, and honestly, I think those model makers are un-charging after what I went through :p

This is such an entertaining read, thank you for sharing and giving us the chance to follow along. The utmost respect for your ingenuity and building skills.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back