The Old Republic Jedi Armour - Help needed!

Kureigu

I think this should be a fairly easy costume to put together (famous last words!) and in theory won't cost Alderaan to do.
JediKnight-TOR.jpg

I've got a source for the 'hard' parts of the costume, although I want to take a closer look at the detailing on that before I commit to buying. I have been search for a pepakura file, but had no luck so far...

The part I am currently wondering about most is the undersuit.

It looks like a plain, brown undersuit with some stitched lines down the length of the body. The stitching bit I can manage (in theory!), but I'd need help getting the undersuit. What I'm currently wondering is if anyone knows where I can get hold of a brown undersuit (simliar to those used by Storm/Clonetroopers) as I think this would be the best way to start. Does anyone have any other ideas though?
It's been suggested I could get a white undersuit (or bleach a black one) and then dye it brown...not sure how that will turn out though as I've not had good experiance with dye before...

The other thing that's been suggested - and I'm wondering about going this way too - is to make an undersuit as looks like a slightly heavier fabric than a stormtrooper undersuit and it has detailed seams on it.

I'm starting to reckon a cotton material would work. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've also been wondering about the way the "T-Shirt"-Robe sits on the shoulders. Looking at stills from the trailers you can see it sits pretty specifically in one place, almost like it's held there.
star_wars__the_old_republic_17909.jpg

I'm currently thinking it might be possible to fix it in place with strong velcro, but are there any other suggestions?

The fabric on the concept pic looks pretty thick, but it looks significantly thinner in the trailers. I'm going to see if I can find something that strikes a good balance between thiness and looking the part (and not say, like a cheap "costume" robe!)

So you can see what I'm talking about (and because it's an excuse to watch the trailers again ) here's the relevant parts of the trailers:

Deceived
Star Wars The Old Republic - Deceived Trailer HD - YouTube
The Return
Star Wars: The Old Republic - Return Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Also see the fight scenes at the end of each video for further examples of how the T-Shirt-Robe doesn't move that much at the shoulders - around the 3minute mark on The Return.

I'm going to try and start sourcing a material for the robe over the next couple of weekends. I'll put progress pictures up when I can and try and compile more 'cannon' shots from the trailers.

Thanks for taking a look - any help much appreciated

Last edited:
I used press studs to fasten the robes onto the straps of my sith armour to stop the robe from slipping around to much, perhaps you could do the same to fasten your robes onto the undershirt.

Very possible. The other suggestion given to me was velcro. I'm not sure at the moment which would be better.

What undersuit did you use? Have you got any pictures of your popper/robe arrangement?

Very possible. The other suggestion given to me was velcro. I'm not sure at the moment which would be better.

What undersuit did you use? Have you got any pictures of your popper/robe arrangement?
I didn't use an undersuit as such, simply a black long sleeved t-shirt and black trousers (I'll get around to buying an undersuit at some point but like all my costumes this has been built on a very low budget).
I don't have access to any clear photo's of the press studs as I'm currently at work but this is my armour without the robe on...
6168367031_5fed225f7a_b.jpg

You can see the shoulder straps going from the top of the armour and I have one press stud on either side with the female part sewn into the robe along a seam across the shoulders.

The hood of the robe also has 2 velcro tabs in it to fasten to the helmet to stop it slipping down all the time, although magnets would have also worked and meant I could have taken the hood down without the ripping sound of velcro.
Perhaps rare earth magnets would work for you too, one sewn into the robe and the other on the underside of the undersuit.

Velcro would be good for keeping your costume from sliding around every which way, but then you gotta remember it is a CG Costume sofar untill you put it together and it is going to slide around (Which was the main problem i had with Jedi Robes Id imagine it was like pulling up a Bra strap every 5 mins) but Velcro fixed that quickly.

As for getting the Armor to stick to your undersuit if it were me id use straps, like they use for halo armor gives a better fit and you can link it all together possibly making an adjustable Harness giving it a better fit just remember, when you finish and are looking yourself in the mirror dont forget to feel like a Bad Mofo

That looks fantastic! I hope mine looks even half so good!
How did you go about making the armour? How accurate is it to the Hope/Decieved trailer?

I like the strapping idea, think that would work quite well. Also, yes, earth magnets sewn into the various bits of the costume sound like a very good idea...I think I prefer that to any of the other suggestions I've had actually since they should hold the relevent parts in place nicely. Thanks!

I think a friend of mine has a bunch lying about as well which he was using for a Commander Cody helmet mod, so should be easy to get hold of some too :)

That looks fantastic! I hope mine looks even half so good!
How did you go about making the armour? How accurate is it to the Hope/Decieved trailer?

I like the strapping idea, think that would work quite well. Also, yes, earth magnets sewn into the various bits of the costume sound like a very good idea...I think I prefer that to any of the other suggestions I've had actually since they should hold the relevent parts in place nicely. Thanks!

I think a friend of mine has a bunch lying about as well which he was using for a Commander Cody helmet mod, so should be easy to get hold of some too :)
Thanks for the postive comment :thumbsup
Here is a link to some of my WIP:
This costume probably isn't the most accurate costume in the world but it is at least recognisable. I used EVA foam for most of the armour and it was my first time using it. I started making the costume when i saw the deceived trailer and there wasn't really any extra reference material available, since then I've updated the costume in various stages and more reference material has become available. As it stands right now it's sat in my garage and I may use it for the games release.
Just for fun I made this comparison picture:
6168910252_7d2ff918a4.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive costume! I stumbled on the three trailers last week and they are very cool.

I think that the press snaps would be better than velcro, because they can still rotate a little while they're plugged together, so they "flow" more easily on your shoulders. If they are velcroed, sometimes it bunches at the velcro point and it doesn't look as natural. Plus, it makes that scratchy sound when you remove it!

Stew did you use Pepakura or what for the armor? Im working on a TOR Jedi armor set for comicon this year. Do you have some pointers on the actual "armor" parts of it?

hey youve probably finished the costume by now, if so could you upload some pics. im looking at doing the same costume. for the under robes there is a brand of skivvies that you could look at, they do all colours and styles, and for the neck part you could cut it and sew it to match. hope this helps.

I didn't use an undersuit as such, simply a black long sleeved t-shirt and black trousers (I'll get around to buying an undersuit at some point but like all my costumes this has been built on a very low budget).
I don't have access to any clear photo's of the press studs as I'm currently at work but this is my armour without the robe on...
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6161/6168367031_5fed225f7a_b.jpg
You can see the shoulder straps going from the top of the armour and I have one press stud on either side with the female part sewn into the robe along a seam across the shoulders.

The hood of the robe also has 2 velcro tabs in it to fasten to the helmet to stop it slipping down all the time, although magnets would have also worked and meant I could have taken the hood down without the ripping sound of velcro.
Perhaps rare earth magnets would work for you too, one sewn into the robe and the other on the underside of the undersuit.

Did you download templates to make the armour?

Did you download templates to make the armour?
When I started my Acolyte there were no templates, in fact at the beginning the only reference that was available was the first 'deceived' trailer.
I made my own cardboard templates based on the trailer and then cut the armour pieces using the templates.

I doubt they're of any use to you now but these were the templates I used back then: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53415931@N05/sets/72157627730934974/

There is so much more reference material and excellent templates available nowadays, which is probably the reason I don't enjoy my Sith Acolyte costume anymore.

When I started my Acolyte there were no templates, in fact at the beginning the only reference that was available was the first 'deceived' trailer.
I made my own cardboard templates based on the trailer and then cut the armour pieces using the templates.

I doubt they're of any use to you now but these were the templates I used back then: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53415931@N05/sets/72157627730934974/

There is so much more reference material and excellent templates available nowadays, which is probably the reason I don't enjoy my Sith Acolyte costume anymore.

There's more templates? I haven't found anything for the past couple of days. Only thing I can find is Firek's pep file but I need something that is free. Do you have any place in mind?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back