The Matrix "Temet Nosce" sign

nickytea

Master Member
Anyone ever done tried their hand at one of these bad boys?
I'm thinking about putting one together.

TemetNosce.jpg

I suppose I could just dremel out the design myself, but it'd obviously look better if professionally done. Anyone know of shops that handle work like this? I'm not sure what to search for, to see if I have any local options.

That is so wierd. I just finished rewatching the Matrix tonight and thought that the sign might make a good prop too. Unfortunately, I have no skill at routering, so I can't make them ;)

thomas;)

If you can create a decent graphical image, you could send it to www.Ponoko.com and they could laser etch it into the wood or material or your choice. There'd be some scorch marks on wood, but a bit of sanding and paint would clear it up. Ponoko do good work so I'm told.

You'd have to recreate the image of course, but that's enough work to still feel like you've made it.

I have a router. What I lack at the moment is proper workspace. Sometimes apt living can suck the fun out of the circusmaster's pants...

Edit to add: However, if someone can either do me up a properly sized graphic to use as a template or ID the font used so I can do some guesswork at a template, I'll see if I can possibly knock something out.

Last edited:
I have a router. What I lack at the moment is proper workspace. Sometimes apt living can suck the fun out of the circusmaster's pants...

Edit to add: However, if someone can either do me up a properly sized graphic to use as a template or ID the font used so I can do some guesswork at a template, I'll see if I can possibly knock something out.
Not the EXACT font used, but the same "family"... It could be a starting point...:)
http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file...xt=Temet+Nosce&nb_ppp=10&psize=l&classt=alpha

Thank you ^^
I never had Latin.. I choosed French back in school:angel
Neither did I, I just remember it from another source (probably another movie:lol), but it stuck in my head... Probably 'cause it's quite similar to the Italian translation, who knows!:D

Last edited:
Using your find as a template I have found a few others that are close, but not exact. I'm thinking that they traced one of our finds and skipped the extraneous flourishes while retaining the overall feel.

I'll keep looking tomorrow after work.

I gave tracing a try, with some help from the suggested font.
If we had access to HD screengrabs, we may be able to make out more detail.

Temettrace001.jpg

Well, I don't know what your post said, but I'm gonna say that if you are a big Matrix fan, you could do a lot worse than getting one of the Nebecannezur [sp] ship dedication plaques that Scott did, if he still does them. It's the coolest Matrix replica that I've ever seen.

Thanks for your generosity, Scott.

JAS

first post! :lol

well, I'm going to resurrect this old thread instead of starting a new one. I was searching the web for info on this sign, didn't find much info except this thread.

With some pretty weak woodworking skills I managed to make a decent version of the sign...

(original shot from the movie)
temet01.jpg

(shot above kitchen entryway in my house)
nosce.jpg

and some in progress shots...

design drawn on board...
file.php

carved out with a dremel...
file.php

painted letters (before staining)
file.php

I have a real sized printable template too if anyone needs it...I designed it from scratch but I think its quite close to the original in the movie.

Great work!
I never finished mine, but seeing how nicely yours turned out makes me think I should dust the project off.

And thank you for the offer, I'd love to see your template.

small version of template for forum viewing...

template.jpg

Link to full size image...
http://www.spritestitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/fullpattern.png

I needed two pages to print it, so I printed the left half then the right half on separate pages and lined em up after.

I started using the guide thingy for the dremel that keeps it at a level height, so that you what you engrave in is all level...but I had heaps of trouble with it. I ended up just holding the dremel at a 45 degree angle and freehanding the whole thing. it worked much better.

Last edited:
Thanks for the template, this is a great idea I just might have to implement one day. I used to have a cardboard version I made back in high school...

Thank you ^^
I never had Latin.. I choosed French back in school :angel

It is indeed "temet nosce" however, the Latin doesn't quite make sense (I'm a Latin teacher...yes, we exist).

"temet" doesn't even make sense. I've even pulled out my dictionary to find a route, but no. The "t" on it indicates that it is 3rd person, singular--in other words "he" or "she" in translation, while the "e" before the "t" means it's a 2nd conjugation verb or a first in the subjunctive mood. Nada results on both. My only guess is that they meant to use "timet" which has a root meaning in "fear."

As for "nosce" that plainly comes from "noscere" which is "to begin to learn, or know." That form is a command, which would sound odd in English. I'm thinking they meant to say (I'm not listening to the movie, so maybe there's a hint in it) something like "he fears that which is new" or something like that.

Sorry to burst any bubbles on the meaning, but there you have it. After all this, I just thought of googling it, and found this...

Know thyself - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah, well....I'm still right, but talk about getting to your ass by going around your elbow. LOL

Cheers,

Guy

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back