The Martian Space Suit

Haha, yeah that sounds like the best solution yet.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a Glowforge laser cutter seeing how much potential it has for this costume and other fun projects. Hopefully it will come in early next year and I can get enough time to work the armor by the summer. Make it to a con or two. If anyone else is planning on getting one let me know and I can PM you my referral link and we both get $100 off if you want.

Yeah, I really doubt we'll reach the 500 minimum. For what it's worth, I could go for 25 of them (if there's a chance to actually make it to 500) otherwise I'd have to stick to painting them myself or find someone that can do a custom anodizing.

I managed to figure out how the webbing is made and I have to say it's clever and stupidly obvious. They went for herringbone webbing which also goes under the name "soft herringbone tape" and "Horse Blanket Binding". It's interesting because it can me either cotton or acrylic that is supposed to "feel like cotton" as advertised. What they got was two sizes, one 45mm herringbone (the V-shape) for the Nautic buckles + Cobra Compact at the belt, and another (guessing 25mm) without the herringbone weave as the Molle.

I can't upload pictures now, but at the front where the webbing goes from 45mm to 25mm they just folded it and sewn it double thick where it is 25mm. It's not obvious at first glance which is brilliant!

Edit:
And I just can't find the right one :(
It's either not 45mm and grey or it's 45mm and every color but...

Good research. This is a military herringbone tape:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443984728.858766.jpg

It still doesn't look perfect though but very close

Bedon292, not to plug one of my other threads, but i have been doing a lot of lasercutting experiments, with different materials and such. I have a catch all discussion surrounding my slow, yet continuing research on cutting EVA foam on a lasercutter. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246305

As someone who uses a lasercutter everyday, my considered opinion is that the glowforge machine looks pretty rad. There are a lot of problems it seems to solve that I have with the machine I use. Namely registration of different operations, IE precisely lining up cuts with rastered surfaces. It also seems like it will be beneficial with saving material and making the most of every piece, because of the ability to visually line parts up on their material prior to cutting. Also the function to have the machine test the material before and set itself to make an optimal cut is really a potential timesaver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah there is a huge amount of problems it claims to solve. I have wanted to buy / build a laser for a while now, and just had to do it when I saw it. That thread looks pretty sweet. I will keep an eye on it, because I think this costume is going to take a lot of pep foam cutting and I want to do it on a laser.

I really think the base of the chest/back plate and the backpack is foam fabricated. I believe the front was printed but the base is about 1/2" thick (eyeballing) and is curved exactly like EVA foam curves around the body. The backplate also just isn't very cleanly made, as if it were made out of foam instead of 3D printing it. I may take this into consideration when fabricating the master for my mound.

They have this on display at the Landmark in West Los Angeles! (yeah, we get all the cool stuff)

Just had my phone, I'll head back with a nicer camera soon!

View attachment 536774

Very cool! What does that plaque say beneath Janty Yates? I really want to contact everyone who touched these suits to find out what they were made of.

Got a bit more progress on the arm comp today. I tried to detail out the fillets as closely as I could following the reference photos. Some of them are a bit weird, probably hand done so the model isn't as clean as Id normally like. But as accurtae as can make out from the photos I have.

The internal screen pocket is sized for an iPhone 5 right now. So that should be able to slide in perfectly.

Still not sure if anything is on the thin side. In terms of a little detail. My guess is there is a pill slot on it, but for now its blank.

I just have to optimize if for 3D printing and round 1 should be good to go.

Angle_and_Orthos.jpg

I really think the base of the chest/back plate and the backpack is foam fabricated. I believe the front was printed but the base is about 1/2" thick (eyeballing) and is curved exactly like EVA foam curves around the body. The backplate also just isn't very cleanly made, as if it were made out of foam instead of 3D printing it. I may take this into consideration when fabricating the master for my mound.

I think you're right.

Just got back from the movie theater - SO GOOD - and I was thinking it certainly doesn't look as rigid/sturdy as it does in pictures. In fact, it almost looks flimsy in some shots.

And on that note, the one or two times you see him really bending his knees or elbows and the armor bends pretty far with him...maybe *all* the armor is foam, just different thicknesses?

I guess that makes the helmet the most difficult part of the costume.

I think you're right.

Just got back from the movie theater - SO GOOD - and I was thinking it certainly doesn't look as rigid/sturdy as it does in pictures. In fact, it almost looks flimsy in some shots.

And on that note, the one or two times you see him really bending his knees or elbows and the armor bends pretty far with him...maybe *all* the armor is foam, just different thicknesses?

I don't know how FBFX did the armor or helmet but I bet they're willing to answer any questions being asked about their beautiful work :)

I guess that makes the helmet the most difficult part of the costume.

Especially the inside and it's functions, getting the LEDs to work and the ventilation. The helmet got alot going on indeed. I also noticed some sort of construction helmet looking head rest inside the helmet

I don't know how FBFX did the armor or helmet but I bet they're willing to answer any questions being asked about their beautiful work :)

Especially the inside and it's functions, getting the LEDs to work and the ventilation. The helmet got alot going on indeed. I also noticed some sort of construction helmet looking head rest inside the helmet

I sent FBFX an email today asking them questions on the construction of the suit. Fingers crossed.

More costume info from Janty Yates:

http://costumedesignersguild.com/articles-videos/pick-of-the-week/the-martian/

Yates turned to FBFX, a U.K. special effects firm that also manufactured space suits for Yates on Scott’s 2012 sci-fi adventure, “Prometheus.” They used vacuum casting to mold the helmets; their visors were crafted by a company that makes headlights for Aston-Martin and Bentley vehicles.

For surface explorations, Yates blended the look of a motocross racer’s suit, with its reinforced knee and shoulder pads and a high-tech hard-shell yoke. “We did a huge amount of 3D printing on fabric,” said Yates.

“We had to pack the helmet with 1,000 L.E.D. lights in order to light them. And we had wired them for sound so they could hear Ridley and speak to each other,” Yates said. “Then we had to keep them alive—so they had two huge air pumps in the helmet, and the batteries in the backpack.”
For all of the high-tech work that created the frame of the suits, human hands gave them their realistic finish. Yates credits the work of associate spacesuit costume designer Michael Mooney and her crew’s hand-applied dot gradient designs on the fabric surface.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back